The Next XTC Surround Sound Release...The Complete Dukes Of Stratosphear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Andy's first tweet:
Off to the shed to hear Steven Wilson's first 2 mixes for next XTC 5.1 project.

He's not saying which one it is yet.
My bet is on either "Big Express" or "Apple Venus" since AFAIK the tapes are still missing for both "English Settlement" and "Mummer", but maybe they have been found!
Stay tuned!

:)

I'm guessing "Apple Venus" because I know he has those tapes and he was probably waiting until he gave up on searching for the missing earlier albums to do "Apple Venus." And while I would be excited to have a 5.1 mix of this album, the bonus material wouldn't be that exciting to me as Andy has already released the demos and the instrumental mixes of each song.

My apologies. It wasn’t you, it was Milt. My excuse was I only had 17 hours sleep in the past five days. :rolleyes:

My first WAG was Black Sea or English Settlement.
Perpendicular nailed it right off.
I say he should get a free copy!
My next prediction is that the usual suspects on SHF will bitch, bitch, bitch about BD only again.

Andy's first tweet:

He's not saying which one it is yet.
My bet is on either "Big Express" or "Apple Venus" since AFAIK the tapes are still missing for both "English Settlement" and "Mummer", but maybe they have been found!
Stay tuned!

:)
I wish he would say what it will be. Maybe the seagulls need to scream 'tell them' 'tell them'...

I really want Mummer. I've always loved the album and just think it's sound would be great in 5.1.

I'm also really interested in White Music and Go 2 - too many people think XTC started with Drums & Wires and forget those first recordings. Maybe having seen that early version of the band live a couple times clouds my judgement, maybe not. If missing tapes is an issue then those 2 are perfect candidates for the G Giant style compilation using whatever they have.

You’re right! I never listened to their first two albums up until this past Saturday. Some good songs off White Music but Go2 wasn’t my cup of tea. Maybe I was drinking the wrong brand. :LOL:

Now, the only two albums left I have never heard is their last two but they’re not available off of Tidal.

As for Mummer, listened to that on Saturday too. Haven’t heard it in ages. Used to be my most unfavorite album. When it came out, which was after Black Sea and English Settlement, I was like, WTF?! Listening to it now, in my more mature years, I really like it and shows the progression they made in such a short time period from album to album. Anyone else notice the stark difference in the recorded sound between Mummer and The Big Express? It sounds like two different time periods.

Mummer has grown on me as well over the years, now it's one of my faves. So many great multichannel possibilities on that one! I still hold out hope for it and English Settlement.

I absolutely, dearly love "Wake Up" on The Big Express, but can't get past it to the rest (yet). You're right, they are very different albums.

Back