The QuadraphonicQuad Wine Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope I wanna stay 13 forever. Too many problems with being a grown up.

Don't want froufy upscale or caveman food (steaks and potatoes and grill and etc).

Drinking beer or wine and you get problems with family friends and law enforcement. And I don't even drink pop anymore since they make it with synthetic sweeteners (even the regular non-diet pop).

Same with driving. Everybody and their Mr. Me Gimme Mine attitudes.

Same with going off disability and getting a retail job and tolerating idiots at 55 yrs of age.

Same with having your age waist size and IQ match. Etc etc etc.

Proving that grownups are crabby when they get interrupted.
Huh? [emoji848] You posted in a wine appreciation thread stating you had no desire to drink alcohol of any kind—but beyond that, casting doubt upon and borderline insulting anyone who does, such as those sharing wines here—and then went off on some incomprehensible tangent. Why?

old.jpg

Last edited:
Huh? [emoji848] You posted in a wine appreciation thread stating you had no desire to drink alcohol of any kind—but beyond that, casting doubt upon and borderline insulting anyone who does, such as those sharing wines here—and then went off on some incomprehensible tangent. Why?

old.jpg
Maybe
ndiamone
was trying to lighten things up a little. Me? I am a white and blush kinda guy. A little on the dry side (I mean the wine) . I love sea food , so that's a good mix. And living here in central Cali , I can go south , north or central. I was more into wines when I was younger , but got a new interest lately when my daughter married a guy who works at Gallo Winery.

Huh? Casting doubt upon and borderline insulting anyone who drinks Why?
Because I don't drink or swear or rat my hair. I get ill off one cigarette (or anybody else's) and have zero interest in anything commercial (sports, concerts, TV, radio, the movies, going on vacation etc etc etc).
My brothers and I used to sneak a taste when the grownups were out harvesting.
Which is another reason for my contempt. Most of the men in my family were heavy drinkers by the time they were nine or ten.

Homemade Christmas cider was always left in the garage to freeze. Of course alcohol doesn't freeze so the boys would be sneaking straws into the center and sucking all the booze out only to be found hours later stoned out of their minds and half frozen to death.

So the ``Old Man Yells at Cloud Film at 11'' headline has been both apt and hilarious for however many years since it's been on the Simpsons - especially since I got dubbed the ``Crabbiest Oldest Man Living in the Youngest Body of the Western Appalachians'' by my great granddad when I was nine. My 11 yr old cousin got the Eastern designation a yr later.
Maybe he was trying to lighten things up a little. Me? I can go south.
My life went South soon after I got dubbed - which is why I went INTO dubbing in the first place - and media restoration transfer and preservation - to escape the commercial entertainment world and all its' denziens

Last edited:
Because I don't drink or swear or rat my hair. I get ill off one cigarette (or anybody else's) and have zero interest in anything commercial (sports, concerts, TV, radio, the movies, going on vacation etc etc etc).Which is another reason for my contempt. Most of the men in my family were heavy drinkers by the time they were nine or ten.
OK, then kindly leave this thread. Your participation thus far is, frankly, rude. I assume, like most of us, you're mainly here for the multichannel music. There's plenty of that to go around, and yet you choose to poop on our party because apparently, you can't fathom responsible drinking. This kind of conduct is not welcome here. Please take it somewhere else.

Dc1izml.jpg

Last edited:
Going wine tasting Sunday in Willamette Valley with the boyfriend and his mother. I think we are going to one or two places I've never been!
Full report when you have a few moments please! We may be up there again in early October so always looking for good tips!

Well, we went to Duck Pond, which was just fine, but not the best. I opted for some whites, which were all serviceable but not great. A Pinot Noir Blanc, two Pinot Gris. We did have their "Backyard" Pinot Noir that was really good. After that, my boyfriend and I went to a small obscure family farming winery called the Maresh Red Barn (pronounced 'marsh'). I've been there several times before, but not for like 5+ years. They are the only family farmed land on Worden Hill Road, which I believe is where Oregon winemaking got its start. They have the oldest vines in Oregon. I love all their wine, but their "Old Vines" Pinot is amazing. I'm going back soon once I can afford a few bottles (waiting for first paycheck from new job). If you come up, I strongly recommend you check out the Maresh Red Barn.

I'm sure I said this before, for your October trip, but you simply must go to Utopia and Trisaetum up in the Ribbon Ridge AVA. Hands down some of my favorite Pinot Noirs ever. Utopia's Paradise is not to be missed. They also make an excellent Pinot Noir Blanc and the best Rose I've ever had. Plus, Trisaetum has three labels. Their Trisaetum label makes amazing Pinots and Rieslings, their 18401 label is all Bordeaux style using fruit from Walla Walla Valley in Washington and their Pashay label is all sparkling wine. Loads to try, might be multiple visits but their wine is all incredible, IMHO.

Dinner and TV time - with the meal (chicken thigh "burgers" on a rice "bun" with big side salad)...this nice Malvasia dry blend from Bitter Creek Winery in Arizona
Bitter-Creek-2of-Swords.jpg

And then, while the others watch GoT finale...from the same Bitter Creek Winery, a red blend (Cab Franc /Merlot / Malbec / Cabernet Sauvignon) "King of Swords"
Bitter-Creek-King-Swords.jpg

Tried an interesting pinot noir last night. It’s a drop that’s produced for the wine arm of Virgin Corporation, and it retails here for $18 a bottle (~US$12). It’s called Mr. Noir, which is rather amusing, and I don’t know a whole lot more about it. What made it interesting for me was its darkness and intensity. I’m not averse to lighter & cool climate pinots - Winstead’s Lot 7 from Tasmania is one of my favourites - and actually I’m more familiar with them. This sun-drenched South Australian take on pinot really appealed to me. Enjoyed with roast chicken that had a rich paprika dressing. 🍷😋

Reactions: GOS
Tried an interesting pinot noir last night. It’s a drop that’s produced for the wine arm of Virgin Corporation, and it retails here for $18 a bottle (~US$12). It’s called Mr. Noir, which is rather amusing, and I don’t know a whole lot more about it. What made it interesting for me was its darkness and intensity. I’m not averse to lighter & cool climate pinots - Winstead’s Lot 7 from Tasmania is one of my favourites - and actually I’m more familiar with them. This sun-drenched South Australian take on pinot really appealed to me. Enjoyed with roast chicken that had a rich paprika dressing. 🍷😋
Sounds interesting for sure...

I had the pleasure of participating in a pinot noir barrel tasting at Testarossa in Los Gatos, CA on Sunday. Testarossa make some lovely pinots from fruit grown in the Central Coast region of CA, mainly in the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA. This was my first barrel tasting of any kind, and it was very interesting to sample wines that were just barreled in October of last year. Their winery location in an old Jesuit novitiate is something to behold, as well. I highly recommend making the stop if you're tasting in the Bay Area.

The most interesting part of the event, though, was a cooperage demonstration from a representative of Tonellerie de Mercurey. The craftsmanship that goes into food-grade barrels is truly fascinating.

I had the pleasure of participating in a pinot noir barrel tasting at Testarossa in Los Gatos, CA on Sunday. Testarossa make some lovely pinots from fruit grown in the Central Coast region of CA, mainly in the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA. This was my first barrel tasting of any kind, and it was very interesting to sample wines that were just barreled in October of last year. Their winery location in an old Jesuit novitiate is something to behold, as well. I highly recommend making the stop if you're tasting in the Bay Area.

The most interesting part of the event, though, was a cooperage demonstration from a representative of Tonellerie de Mercurey. The craftsmanship that goes into food-grade barrels is truly fascinating.

I've never participated in a barrel tasting; that would be really cool. I've seen plenty of photographs of vintners and staff conducting such things, though. :LOL: Maybe one day...

Meanwhile, last night was a beef casserole night, and we accompanied it with a Buller 2016 Balladeer durif. I quite like durif, though I find it less versatile than shiraz, cabernet, grenache, malbec, petit verdot, and others. It can easily overpower lighter dishes, so we tend to drink it with dark, heavy beef meals like ragout, casserole, or a special pie. This wasn't a massive durif, though, and it really complemented the meal. 😋🍲🍷 Mmmmm ..... I should visit the Rutherglen area again, I think. Maybe this winter...

I've done barrel tasting a few times at a couple local NM wineries - interesting to compare different vintages of the wines as they age...some from the last harvest up to some 2 or 3 years in barrels.

I'm back from my first visit to see my daughter and her husband after they moved to Sacramento last fall. We were able to take a day trip to Napa and I did a tasting at Black Stallion winery. This was my first wine tasting and it was a lot of fun. I was surprised at how good some of the whites tasted since I've always been more of a Pinot Noir / Cabernet person. It was great to sightsee around Napa Valley and I learned quite a bit. Then the next day in Sacramento they had a street blocked off and were doing a fashion show and wine tasting from Lodi wineries. So that was interesting from the standpoint of being able to taste a lot in a short period of time! And finally we hit a local spot in Sac call Revolution. More great tastes from California grapes.

So for a craft beer kinda guy living here in Colorado, I certainly feel more educated and have more of an appreciation for all that goes into making wine!

Steaks on the grill for dinner today - gotta have a nice red with that, and today it was a local staple in this household - Casa Rondena "1629" (vintage 2010) blend of cab suav, syrah and tempranillo. I'm not a winemaker, but did have a hand in this one....helped with the bottling in exchange for a free lunch and a few bottles.
Casa-Rondena-1629v2010.jpg

Back