The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Amsterdam Ziggo Dome is one of the best concert venues in the world and has excellent sound throughout the whole venue, that has a 15,000 capacity. Yes, I prefer smaller venues but if it has to be an enormodome, this is as good as it gets. And all that within an hour’s travel from my home.
Well I was talking in extremes.... Clearly there are better alternatives to soccer ⚽ stadiums for (rock) concerts . Luckily.
In Amsterdam I think I tried the Bimhuis only

This just in, Phish will be webcasting their Sphere shows (that I’m going to!), these are the first shows that will be broadcast from the venue:
https://webcast.livephish.com/

U2’s official clips are highly highly edited, with lots of sweeping camera angles and cuts. Shows how big the place is, and that there’s a screen, but not much else:

Phish’s webcasts are usually pretty great, camera wise, here’s an example, using a jam I saw:

MUSIC

John Mellencamp would like you to behave. Or ‘don’t come to my show.’​

...with Mellencamp, there are always contradictions. Including to his own edicts, like the one about booking only smallish venues. Later this year, he’ll play 15 outdoor dates on the Outlaw Music Festival Tour with his longtime Farm Aid fellows and ’09 ballpark tour mates, Willie and Bob.

But when he isn’t sharing the bill with other headliners, he’s sticking to theaters.
And he’d like some decorum.
“I do expect etiquette inside of the theater, the same way you would at a Broadway show,” he says.

“My shows are not really concerts anymore. They’re performances, and there’s a difference between a performance and a concert.
Look, I’m not for everyone anymore. I’m just not. And if you want to come and scream and yell and get drunk, don’t come to my show.”

https://wapo.st/3UcGp1W

IMG_1382.jpeg

Snarky Puppy at University of Connecticut tomorrow night.

Popping out tonight to my local jazz venue, The Bear Club in Luton, to see Connor Selby. Until a couple of weeks ago I had not heard of him. It was the charity release of Mark Knopfler's Going Home with multiple famous guitarists - he is on the long list of the musicians on that recording. I looked him up, found some YouTube videos and then discovered this gig - he is a talented blues guitarist. He is mid-20s now and was the opening support for The Who at Wembley Stadium in 2019. So... no decision necessary...I'll be there!

Back