The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! There I was! The trip was even more accidented than I thought, with my inbound flight delayed and the return flight cancelled due to air controllers strike in France. I was finally able to get a BA flight back from Heathrow that ended with the police entering the plane in Madrid and arresting a man, pistol in hand.
The Half Moon is a pub in Putney are in London, a nice area by the Thames where I've never been before. I was surprised about the size of the venue, as I think it could barely hold 200 people. While queing to get the wrist strap, some of the band members passed along (Lee Harris, Guy Pratt and Dom Bekem, but no sight of Nick and Gary Kemp). Guy was as tense as usual, so no attempt to talk to him.
Once inside, the it was too warm and crowded to be comfortable, but the atmosphere was pretty good as we were all thrilled to see the band. 30 minutes before the start of the concert, some intro music started to be played on the PA. It was a combination of old movie dialog (The Committee?) with sound effects (some sounding pretty familiar, including the hearbeat). The sound rig was quite simple: a couple of small arrays on each side of the scenario, enough for such a small room. I was in the second row and I could hardly tell the keyboards from the guitars and bass, but I was told later that sound was better a bit far back. After the gig I had the chance to talk to Dom Bekem and commented this to him, telling him he should tell the mixing engineer to put him higher on the mix... to get him reply that that was surprising as the engineers was his friend. Funny moment.
Lightning rig was very simple too, but effective. A couple of projectors made psychedelic effects over the musicians and there was a third one below Nick's drums that projected a kind of light show on the ceiling. Nick's drums were decorated with car related drawings, nice.
The real start of the show with Interstellar Overdrive followed by Astronomy Domine was impressive. Both Lee Harris and Gary Kemp made a very good job on the guitar camp. One aspect of the show I did not like much was that Guy was placed on the scenario just in front of Nick, blocking his view. In fact, Guy was a little bit too much the front man of the show to my liking, shadowing Nick. Nick's only interaction with us was when introducing the band. He made a couple of funny jokes, one about a text message he supposedly received on the day before from David Gilmour. The text read: "Nick, break a leg tonight (preferrably Roger's)". But oh, Nick's hands were trembling while speaking and he looked quite old and frail. That reminded me of how lucky we are to be able to see him playing live.
Back to the concert, I was again surprised to hear Guy singing lead on most of the songs. His rendition of Lucifer Sam was quite good though. Nile's Song heavy moment was remarkable too. Gary played well too, specially on the mid section of Set the Controls. The "space jam" with ebow and speaker's feedback was amazing. I did not like his voice that much on Fearless, but it was freaking Fearless being played live, so who cares.
Perhaps my favourite moment was the Moog soloing during Obscured by Clouds/When you're in. Great work by Dom here.
90 minutes flew and the concert was over with the last section of Saucerful of Secrets followed by Point me at the Sky (the most unexpected closing song I could think of). Nick was good on the drums, very concentrated all the time and I just noticed a couple of missed beats. In general, the band was pretty relaxed and enjoying themselves. Even during the technical problems (Guy stepping on the wrong pedal or some feedback coming from the keybords), they all smiled.
I could not help but having the feeling of being in front of a cover band, but as I said a freaking nice cover band they are. The selection of the songs and being there one meter away from the guys reminded me of how lucky I was being. I stayed in the pub for a while taking a beer and hoping for Nick to make an appearance, but it did not happen. Some colleagues took a couple of pics with Guy, but the man always look so uncomfortable interacting with the fans that I didn't enter that game. I briefly met Matt from Braindamage.com, a truly institution in Pink Floyd camp.
There's a recording from this show already in Y!, nice quality, by the way (if anyone interested, you know who to ask).
I'm really happy I attended the gig, I only regret not stealing one of the two posters of the concert in the pub (that were stolen by someone else, grrrr). If you have not see it, it's a nice piece of psychedelic artwork.
And this friday Roger in Madrid, I'll also report back!

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_184757 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_184757 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20180521_200356 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_200356 (Small).jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20180521_202048 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_202048 (Small).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20180521_203822 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_203822 (Small).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20180521_205224 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_205224 (Small).jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20180521_212443 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_212443 (Small).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20180521_222631 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180521_222631 (Small).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 77
I saw the Alan Parsons Live Project last night. They played the whole "I Robot" album from start to finish. Afterwards I got Alan to sign my Dark Side of the Moon quad mix bluray from the box set.

Attachments

• IMG_3242 (800x582).jpg
    IMG_3242 (800x582).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3254 (800x800).jpg
    IMG_3254 (800x800).jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 78
I saw the Alan Parsons Live Project last night. They played the whole "I Robot" album from start to finish. Afterwards I got Alan to sign my Dark Side of the Moon quad mix bluray from the box set.
That's just so cool to me. Man, I used to love when APP was on like Top 40 radio way back when. Just been a Parsons, and of course Woolfson fan it seems like forever. :SG
When the original DSOTM quad was, uh, "appropriated", it took me two weeks on a dial up to obtain. Man was I happy, happy. I no longer had the old 8 track player and numerous cartridges I played until dead, dead, dead, so......

Nelsonville OH Music Festival last weekend. Small outdoor event, very well managed, well organized, well-priced, well behaved, and easy to navigate. George Clinton and PFunk and Ani Difranco among the headliners; lots of new bands getting a lot of buzz, too, like Deer Tick, Sunflower Bean, Alvvays, Tank and the Bangas... last of the Five Blind Boys...and the spirit of Fela Kuti in the form of Antibalas.

An annual, highly recommended event for you folks around the midwest and east central States...

While, I'm honestly not much looking forward to this.....my buddy bought us tickets to see Pat Benatar and her very talented guitarist (her husband) in Champaign next Friday. It's acoustic...who knows...maybe it will be great. Yes, I'm a fan...just the acoustic thing doesn't interest me much. That all said...we all know she can freaking sing....so maybe it will be amazing. :)

While, I'm honestly not much looking forward to this.....my buddy bought us tickets to see Pat Benatar and her very talented guitarist (her husband) in Champaign next Friday. It's acoustic...who knows...maybe it will be great. Yes, I'm a fan...just the acoustic thing doesn't interest me much. That all said...we all know she can freaking sing....so maybe it will be amazing. :)
I've seen Pat and Niel acoustic and electric... you're really going to enjoy it!

David Byrne at the Ryman last night was one of the best and most fun shows I have ever been to!
I won’t spoil much except to say that this is a show like no other I have ever been to before!
If he’s coming near you, GO!
You will not be disappointed!

:)

Oh goody goody!!! I am seeing him in 2 days at the Hammersmith Apollo in London! I'm already getting into the mood! Now playing the Talking Heads 5.1's and American Utopia. Have purposely avoided looking at the setlist to leave it as a surprise... :cool:

I bought my own Father's Day gift awhile ago. I saw the version of YES with Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downs, Jon Davidson and Billy Sherwood. As opposed to the OTHER Yes with Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin (saw them a few months ago). Nice show. Howe is sort of the center figure now but Sherwood plays excellent bass. The one issue is they came onstage with someone else on drums. Howe announced that Alan White would be out 'later'. No White when the second set started and then White ended up playing 3 of the last 4 songs. I guess to try and have some more old YES members on stage they introduced Tony Kay who played on the 3 encore songs. I happen to love Steve Howe's playing and sort of glad he is now the main focus.

Oh goody goody!!! I am seeing him in 2 days at the Hammersmith Apollo in London! I'm already getting into the mood! Now playing the Talking Heads 5.1's and American Utopia. Have purposely avoided looking at the setlist to leave it as a surprise... :cool:

Well I have to say it's true David Byrne was absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best gigs I have been to - ever! Wow so much fun! :ROFLMAO:

That guy is seriously talented. Art man wow! I'm not going to spoil the surprises either but there really were some rather good bits... :)

Should defo check him out if he's playing nearby... :LB

DB 2.jpg

Hey everybody - I don't usually post my own gigs on here, but this October I'm doing something really cool that I want to share with you all, especially if you live in or near London or Liverpool.

I'm going to be subbing for the lead guitarist of a Columbus, Ohio, '60s tribute band called "The British Invasion", and we're doing an 8-day tour in England in October. We'll be playing at The Casbah and The Cavern Club in Liverpool, and The Half Moon in Putney.

And for all of you who have never been to England and have always wanted to check out the British invasion sights, you can join the tour: The British Invasion Tour 2018.

Of course the main reason I'm posting this here is hoping I can meet some of you from across the pond.

Hey everybody - I don't usually post my own gigs on here, but this October I'm doing something really cool that I want to share with you all, especially if you live in or near London or Liverpool.

I'm going to be subbing for the lead guitarist of a Columbus, Ohio, '60s tribute band called "The British Invasion", and we're doing an 8-day tour in England in October. We'll be playing at The Casbah and The Cavern Club in Liverpool, and The Half Moon in Putney.

And for all of you who have never been to England and have always wanted to check out the British invasion sights, you can join the tour: The British Invasion Tour 2018.

Of course the main reason I'm posting this here is hoping I can meet some of you from across the pond.
Awesome! ¡Mucha mierda! (" break a leg" in Spaniard Spanish) for those of us who do not live in the Old World anymore for now, would there be a video in Mch of one of the shows?

Awesome! ¡Mucha mierda! (" break a leg" in Spaniard Spanish) for those of us who do not live in the Old World anymore for now, would there be a video in Mch of one of the shows?

Thank you, Kap’n, but I doubt any video will be in multichannel! I’m sure someone will be capturing video, but it may only be iPhone quality.

I think that is awesome(y)...if I were you I'd pick some members on here that you would like to meet and send them a PM and make some plans...if it was me...fredblue/Adam would be on that list...and DuncanS...that sounds like fun...better take some pictures for us:phones

I think that is awesome(y)...if I were you I'd pick some members on here that you would like to meet and send them a PM and make some plans...if it was me...fredblue/Adam would be on that list...and DuncanS...that sounds like fun...better take some pictures for us:phones

And lest we forget, Clinty: the redoubtable Mr. Smithers!

Back