The Vicar - Songbook #1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's revealed quite early on.....but in all honesty, we thought the Chronicles were a lot of fun - you're supposed to watch them.

So I believe I was right with one of my guesses... or should I say "not necessarily, no"....

just ordered amazon uk copy - last one it said (more coming though). i won't get a chance to listen as returning from Tokyo tomorrow, Muscat Monday, The Hague for the weekend then Joburg....

Oh my god. Only 3 songs in and the crap-eating grin is locked onto my face. The most aggressive surround mix I've ever heard, as if there's no concept of L/R or F/R.
As for the music, very first impression is Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody meets the Who's Tommy.
That's subject to change of course after I hear the whole thing. But the brass! The strings! Coming from everywhere!
Center channel? Yeah, the trumpet isolated in the middle... But it's behind you.

(Listening in 17 speaker 7.1, Hyundai Equus.

Oh my god. Only 3 songs in and the crap-eating grin is locked onto my face. The most aggressive surround mix I've ever heard, as if there's no concept of L/R or F/R.
As for the music, very first impression is Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody meets the Who's Tommy.
That's subject to change of course after I hear the whole thing. But the brass! The strings! Coming from everywhere!
Center channel? Yeah, the trumpet isolated in the middle... But it's behind you.

(Listening in 17 speaker 7.1, Hyundai Equus.

Just from listening to song samples, can't wait to get this, preordered this 3 months ago and it still says awaiting shipment, this is killing me, as this music sounds like its right up my alley,Beatles meet XTC(somewhere in that ballpark).

Curious for those that have this, does it list who the singers are for this release.
From checking a couple of links it looks like David Scott from band pearlfishers is one and andy yorke(thom's brother) and from band unbelievable truth.

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=15&show=1780&member=&entry=

http://punksanderson.tumblr.com/post/41358328527/the-moony-song-from-the-vicar-songbook-1-one-of

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=1789

Just from listening to song samples, can't wait to get this, preordered this 3 months ago and it still says awaiting shipment, this is killing me, as this music sounds like its right up my alley,Beatles meet XTC(somewhere in that ballpark).

Curious for those that have this, does it list who the singers are for this release.
From checking a couple of links it looks like David Scott from band pearlfishers is one and andy yorke(thom's brother) and from band unbelievable truth.

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?artist=15&show=1780&member=&entry=

http://punksanderson.tumblr.com/post/41358328527/the-moony-song-from-the-vicar-songbook-1-one-of

http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?show=1789

From Amazon:

The Vicar features some of the world s most outstanding musicians: Tony Levin (John Lennon, Paul Simon), Cathy Stevens (Penguin Café Orchestra), Steve Sidwell (Robbie Williams, George Michael). Chas Dickie (Van der Graaf Generator, PJ Harvey) and Karen Wimhurst (Zaum, English National Opera). It also throws the spotlight on emerging and lesser known singers; from those spotted at small venues, Steve Porter - on the internet, Paul Ibberson - Mercury prize nominee, Tim Elsenberg - and cult favorites who deserved centre stage in any gathering of fine singers, Andy Yorke, Lewis Taylor, David Scott.

Fantastic, detailed review (and explanation of) The Vicar here:

http://altrockchick.com/2013/01/10/music-review-the-vicar-songbook-1/

The one I would suggest the listener begin with is “The Moony Song,” which establishes its rhythm with the more familiar tool known as the acoustic guitar and leads into a beautifully delivered lead vocal backed by an arrangement of relative stillness. The chorus introduces the strings and harmonies, both breathtakingly beautiful. I have to pause at this point and comment on the excellence of the musicianship throughout Songbook #1, so obvious in both the arrangement and execution and easiest to appreciate in this simply gorgeous piece of music.

My copy still hasn't arrived. I was away a few days and stuff I'm waiting for anxiously always seems to turn up when I am out of town...unfortunately not this time. At least I had the mp3 files to play in the car.

I've been listening to this for a couple of days now. I can understand why this was chosen for 5.1 mix, lots of orchestration, brass, strings, wind instruments. I think the mix is done very well.
Musically, it has lots of influences, from the Beatles to Broadway. Quirky, & more aggressive, in places, soft & gentle in others. A number of different vocalists, some I prefer more than others. For some reason the vocalist on "Lonely Sunday" isn't stated ? Some of the music is a little repetitive in places, i.e. "Twenty Two", but that's the only small critique I can find.
As I said the 5.1 mix is very well done, and a nice touch is the LPCM 24bit stereo mix, which I was very impressed with. (very surroundish & full sounding, with detail.) I haven't accessed any of the extra's yet, but I think the content value is excellent value for money.
I would highly recommend buying this disc, for those considering it.

Each time I play the 5.1 mix I seem to hear different things, or I suppose it'd be more accurate to say my ears focus on something different. Taking away the traditional drum kit and using other instruments to act in its place opens up a whole different spectrum of possibilities with the mix, and in this case was very well taken advantage of I think.

Maybe when you're ready you can jump over to the other thread and vote on the album and add any more comments there!

Like a lot of people on this site, I guess, I listen to a lot of music but it's very rarely that I come across something as unique and refreshing as this! The songs are very cleverly constructed and as far as I can tell largely acoustic - guitar, loads of strings some woodwind and, oh my, those layered vocals.

The recording quality, fidelity, production and especially the use of surround is just simply stunning. Up there with the best examples of showcase material in the 5.1 format. Absolutely, exquisite and should be in everyone's 5.1 collection for sure. Take the time to trim your speaker levels so you're in the "sweet spot" and you'll be rewarded with a truly mind-blowing enveloping experience. Stunningly good.

Just gone through the Chronicles etc-Punk Sandersons 'impression' of the Vicar plus what I have heard about him in the past makes him sound like Robert Fripp, having said that, his manager clearly called him David! Come on Neil, who is the Vicar?

Just gone through the Chronicles etc-Punk Sandersons 'impression' of the Vicar plus what I have heard about him in the past makes him sound like Robert Fripp, having said that, his manager clearly called him David! Come on Neil, who is the Vicar?

You just answered the question - Breamore (the manager) clearly identifies him. I wish I had not started that "Who Is.."? thing - for a little bit of fun it all got out of hand.....

Back