The Vicar - Songbook #1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
See http://www.dgmlive.com/vicardiary.htm for more information about this project, which has been described as "the quintessentially English album" with nods to all manner of acts along the way, this long awaited release will be happening in multiple formats starting on November 22 for the digital release (stereo only at this point, but give me time......) and an as yet undetermined date for the CD/DVDA package, featuring a glorious 5.1 mix of the album along with literally hours of snips from the Vicar's casebook.

Very difficult to describe the music - there are no drums or electric basses at all - the rhythm section is strictly chamber instruments (that is Violin, Viola, Cello) and Double Bass but it does not matter. The songs stick in your head like glue, they really do, and you will be humming these tunes for weeks to the annoyance of all those around you who will naturally have absolutely no idea what you are going on about when you suddenly jump up & shout "inside your head" at the top of your voice!

This album should sell bucketloads.

Attachments

• The Vicar Chronicles digital launch press release FINAL.pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 277
Thanks Neil,

I am listening to some of the sound clips on http://www.thevicar.com/music_cloud.html, and there is some very interesting stuff here. You are right... the music is hard to describe. There is a lot going on, but the underlying melodies are infectious.

The PDF you attached has a date of Jan 28th for the DVDA. I am looking forward to it!

"infectious" is not the word!! They really do stick in your head like they have been glued there.
Standout tracks tend to change too - but "Inside Your Head" is superb, "The Moony Song" sounds like John Cale on bad acid towards the end (and we will be looking to see who recognizes the basslines in that one too), and both "Childhood Days" and "The Girl with the Sunshine" are seriously catchy songs. We think it would make a superb musical - and no, I loathe that format but this would work.
The surround mixes were great fun to do - very intensive, but oh, how much fun we had.

Okay, I've just listened to the stuff on thevicar.com site...and I'm lovin' it supreme...really brilliant stuff, seriously. And that's just on the computer - it's gonna be fab in 5.1 I'm sure...really a no-brainer purchase after hearing some of it.

I will see if I can get permission to give you guys a teaser.....
The DVDA will be released in January, we think. I'll ask His Holiness if we can start to spread his gospel sooner rather than later. The stereo mixes are incredibly well thought out - with nods to the 60's & 70's all over the place from both sides of the Big Pond. The more I hear this stuff the better I like it, and by this stage in a production where I have already mastered the stereo versions & mixed/mastered the 5.1 I am generally at the point where I do not want to hear it again for a while - but not with this one.

IF (and it is a big "IF") I can get permission, what would be the preferred format?
I was thinking .dtshd, DVDA/V or DTS-CD, and it will be one, maybe 2 tracks as a teaser - like Martin did with the Dorothee album.

I will see if I can get permission to give you guys a teaser.....

I was thinking .dtshd, DVDA/V or DTS-CD, and it will be one, maybe 2 tracks as a teaser - like Martin did with the Dorothee album.
I think DTS-CD is fine for a teaser, it can be played most universally. The moment the set can be (pre-)ordered would be a good time. If a whole track is out of the question, maybe a couple of minutes teaser is possible.

DTS CD works for me too - with my bandwidth limited broadband plan.... :mad:

Good news.
I've talked to The Vicar, and he agrees that a 2-track sampler is a great idea.
I will get this done as a DTS-CD, and upload some time soon.

Last edited:
Neil, why is this a long waited release, and who is this?

Neil, why is this a long waited release, and who is this?

If he told you, he'd have to kill you.

Not knowing for certain is part of the mystique I suppose, but the supporting cast and the tracks we've been given for free are enough to open my wallet.

All best answered by the excellent page at Burning Shed, and on the website The Vicar
So here it is. Finally. Songbook #1.

Fourteen songs by the enigmatic, English producer, The Vicar that go everywhere pop songs should - gay bars in New York, adolescence, moonstruck love, vanity, nostalgia - and a few places they probably shouldn't.

Featuring The Vicar's unique string and chamber arrangements and a host of guest singers.

Tony Levin, Theo Travis, Lewis Taylor, Tim Elsenberg, Chas Dickie and Jakko Jakszyk and others appear.

---------

And what do you get? Performances from some of the world's outstanding musicians - Cathy Stevens, Tony Levin, Theo Travis, Steve Sidwell, Chas Dickie, Karen Wimhurst , Nigel Barr, Horacio Pozzo. And what don't you get? Well-known singers from The Vicar's rolodex. By contrast, in one of those moves designed to infuriate A&R men, The Vicar throws the spotlight on emerging and lesser known singers, from those spotted at small venues and on the internet, to those from the periphery who deserved centre stage. All were willing to sing simple melodies "as if for the first time".

"If we embrace the unexpected. If we are free not to be slaves to the rhythm. If we have the courage to believe that dreams can and will come true, our ears transform humble songs into music beyond our wildest imaginings" - The Vicar 11 July 2012.

---------

The groundbreaking multimedia universe of The Vicar also includes Graphic Novels, Audiobooks, Videobooks and Music Albums by The legendary Vicar himself.

The enigmatic, English producer, aka "The Vicar" must be Trevor Horn. "Slaves to the Rhythm" was the give away. Great DVD, only DD 5.1 but 13 of his best-selling acts in one concert at Wembley. It's a great DVD except for the duo "Dollar". Thanks Neil. You really have moved into the mainstream now and good to hear that you have not only authored this (I presume) but have been trusted with the mastering and mixing. "In Neil We Trust". Congratulations on getting this project (work) and of course all the excellent DVD-A noodling that you have done before. I have just pre-ordered. With Trevor's POP sensibility this could go anywhere. Update: "MP3 Killed the Video Star" as well as DVD-A and SACD. Maybe. Now back to the TV and live Tennis at the Hopman Cup in Perth, Western Australia. Go Espana. Sorry Croatia. The Joker and the gorgeous Ana have met their match. Well, In doubles at least. DO YOU LIKE TENNIS? - YES I DO.

Nope. It's not Trevor Horn. Have another guess....... :)

The music & songs are seriously addictive though and stick in your head like glue. Normally by this time in a project (we are currently in beta test for this album) I am thoroughly tired of listening to the music - especially as this was mixed & mastered by me and The Vicar - but I am not even close to bored with it.

I will shortly (need to get the date I can do this) be uploading a 2-track DTS-CD with 2 of the 5.1 mixes as a teaser.

2 more songs were posted for d/l at DGM yesterday, again both really good - can't wait to hear the whole album in 5.1.

"Man With A Woman On His Mind" is one of the possibles for the teaser disc (the other one being "Childhood Days") alongside "The Moony Song" - there are 14 tracks on the album, plus one video & a whole selection of the "Chronicles" narrated by Punk Sanderson - it should be a great release. We are certainly very, very happy with it.

The DTS-CD 2-track teaser will go up at the end of the month, and I hope to convince Jon to let me post it here as well as at DGM.

Back