Thinking of upgrading to Atmos. Looking for advice!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and am wondering are there distance adjustments available via your AVR for the heights to the listening position, similar to what's typically available for the floor speakers in a 5.1 setup? Or, as it is Object oriented, is it placing the sounds into a specific (software determined) position in space (in other words- as to originating from a 3 dimensional point to be perceived from multiple listening positions?)

My pioneer definitely has distance adjustments for the atmos heights just like all the horizontal surrounds. I use a IR laser measure that contractors use to measure length to each speaker to the inch and input that into the receivers menu. Just point it at the speakers woofer or tweeter, your preference, since the tweeter will prolly be more than almost an inch farther (than the woofer) due to trajectory of the laser beam. :)

the joys of the modern age

Last edited:
My pioneer definitely has distance adjustments for the atmos heights just like all the horizontal surrounds. I use a IR laser measure that contractors use to measure length to each speaker to the inch and input that into the receivers menu. Just point it at the speakers woofer or tweeter, your preference, since the tweeter will prolly be more than almost an inch farther (than the woofer) due to trajectory of the laser beam. :)

the joys of the modern age
The reason the AVR needs a distance measurement is to set delay so that sounds that are supposed to arrive at your ear at the same time truly do arrive at the same time. My Emotiva gear simply measures the time for a signal to travel the distance to the microphone and it adjusts the delay accordingly. Does your Pioneer AVR not work that way? I would tend to think that measuring the actual delay would be more accurate than even a laser tape. No?

Rather than starting from scratch, and putting speakers in my ceiling, is there any value at all to simply adding a couple of speakers that fire up and reflect off the ceiling? Does this work well? Or is it a waste of time comparable to a soundbar?

My receiver (a 7.1 Yamaha) speaks of Atmos in the manual but doesn’t really go into detail about how to set up the speakers other than to change a setting to recognize “objects”.

I’m only using the 5.1 now. Would I simply connect the additional speakers to the other two outputs?

Is 7 speakers enough to get the benefits of Atmos?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

SVS on the celing. Firing up is a no no IMO. 5.1.2 is fine.

Back