Todmorden 513 (Concerto for Orchestra by Markus Reuter) cd/dvd with 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just noticed this cd/dvd that comes with 5.1.

(CD + DVD) Markus Reuter, composer and touch guitarist with Tony Levin’s Stick Men group, releases his first symphonic composition, Todmorden 513. This piece – a re-orchestration of an electronic work recorded by the Colorado Chamber Orchestra – creates an infinitely layered, kaleidoscopic drive, pulling the listener ever more into the eye of a 60 minute harmonic storm. The 2-disc digipack contains a CD of the studio recording and a DVD with a hi-resolution 5.1 mix and an alternate 2.0 mix by ambient music pioneer Robert Rich. Also included, a 70 minute documentary of the recording process, Breaking513.com, produced by Jack Casadone.
image.jpg

It does not mention which hi res audio stream is used. Sounds promising though. Seems to be out today, June 17th 2014.

Anybody know more about this? Thanks.

It's a DVD-A/V of course!
I thought I had mentioned this one, but I must have forgotten.
Audio streams are MLP/DTS/PCM

From reading the info on Markus' page it sounds interesting.

But still wondering about the title. "Deathmurdering 513"???

-Kristian

Looking at the pledgemusic site, it mentions that there is also a 5.1 version of the original electronic version.

x5.1 Surround Mix Download of Original Version + AccessPass

$35
€26 EUR (approx.)
5.1 surround mix by Robert Rich of the original electro-acoustic version of Todmorden 513 as an .iso image file that you can burn to DVD, incl. printable artwork.

Neil, are you involved in that version as well?

Er, say what?
Todmorden is a town in West Yorkshire.........
kristian is referring to the German words Tod, which is Death. And Morden which is Murder.

It is explained on the Todmorden wiki page a follows

The title of the piece is pronounced "Todmorden five-thirteen"[8] and juxtaposes the number of compositional elements used within the piece with the name of a small English market town in West Yorkshire, seventeen miles northeast of Manchester.[4] Reuter was interested by the sinister Germanic implications of the Todmorden placename when he first encountered it (in German,"tod" means "death" and "morden" means "to murder") and used it to illustrate his own reflections on individual interpretation.

It is a little wordplay in two languages.

Hehe... Since the composer is German, and me, too, I read the title in German.

-Kristian

This album is a very challenging listen indeed.

I have now listened to the entire piece twice (once last night and once this evening), and I pretty much have the same thoughts after both listens.

I really like the clarity of the recording and especially the dynamic range. I always find myself reaching for the volume knob to turn it a little lower once that last movement is in full force.

I also like how the surround is mixed more from an audience perspective as it really helps to give the feeling of being in a hall listening to the piece. On a few occasions I loved having some of the percussion emanating more from the surround speakers as it really made for a nice effect.

The downsides to this release come mostly from the music itself. It simply takes way too long to get the big climax of the piece, and there is not enough variance along the way to really keep me interested.

After watching the documentary, it makes me wish that I had watched it before listening to the piece for the 2nd time today.
It does give some much needed insight into why the piece sounds the way it does.

Now with that being said, my opinion of the piece still remains the same, but at least now I have a little more appreciation for the reasoning behind it.

Plus it was nice to see little snippets of fellow StickMen Tony and Pat in there.

If you can find any snippets of audio to preview, listen before buying.

Back