Tom Petty - MOJO! New music release in 5.1 on BLU-RAY!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003

Attachments

• petty-br_..jpg
    petty-br_..jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 477
SWEET!!! I loved the two songs of SNL this week so it should be a great album and in 5.1 even better.

Looking forward to this. Interesting that they're doing this now (about time :)). The CD version comes with red lettering followed by the Blu-Ray Audio version 2 weeks later. If this sells enough perhaps a redo of their back catalog in 5.1 / Stereo Hi-Rez? It's good they put this in for people who are not hip to Audio discs and expect live performances or anything:

PRODUCER'S NOTE:
ABOUT THIS HIGH RESOLUTION BLU-RAY AUDIO DISC

This disc contains all 15 tracks from 'Mojo' in high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound.
It is an audio-only disc, with basic navigation and song information
displayed on screen.

The 48K 24 bit audio on this disc has 256 times more resolution than a CD, providing greater detail and reproducing the music's full
dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds. To achieve
full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so
this disc might not sound as 'loud' as a standard CD or film soundtrack.
To compensate for this, turn up the volume!

The screensaver switches song information to non-static images
of the cover art 30 seconds after each song begins.

Thanks for caring enough to invest in high quality sound. With this disc you are now able to hear at home what we hear in the studio.

It looks promising, I hope it is in fact a Blu-ray release and nothing else makes any sense based on the product description. I will send Amazon a note and suggest the DVD-Audio references be removed but I am not sure that will do any good.

Chris

Bizzare marketing decision keep the market small item does not sell then claim there is no demand.

Reading the spec 24/48 K stereo, can't that be done with standard DVD ?

and DTS HD the imporived stream which could be done as MLP on a standard DVDA

If its a 5.1 disc it has to be a DVD with DTS keep the market as large as possible from out of box home systems to blu ray.

Bizzare marketing decision keep the market small item does not sell then claim there is no demand.

Reading the spec 24/48 K stereo, can't that be done with standard DVD ?

and DTS HD the imporived stream which could be done as MLP on a standard DVDA

If its a 5.1 disc it has to be a DVD with DTS keep the market as large as possible from out of box home systems to blu ray.

I think you are absolutely wrong, Blu-ray is not a small market like SACD or DVD-A. Blu-ray releases often sell over a million units and with blockbusters some sell over 4 million units. Make it a DVD-V and I will pass as will the lion's share of the Blu-ray market. I think it will soon be time to give high resolution surround a chance for something more than live concert discs, hopefully now. If anybody wants high quality packaged media audio releases, Blu-ray is the only option that makes any sense. A DVD-V audio only release doesn't sell much despite the fact there is a large market with hardware to play it, let's see what this does.

DVD-A is the kiss of death for an audio release, after ten years, the product just didn't sell and that isn't going to change now despite the fact the audio quality in this case could be the same. There are also far more Blu-ray players in service than DVD-A players. Sony has sold over 30 million Blu-ray all by itself, not a single one of them play DVD-A. The choice for releases like this one is between DVD-V and Blu-ray.

Chris

Saw this news on Blu-Ray.com just a few minutes ago so I figured I'd pop on over here to see the real scoop. ;) How exciting! I hope I like the music because like the Chicago disc, this is another MUST SUPPORT title!

"To achieve full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so this disc might not sound as 'loud' as a standard CD or film soundtrack. To compensate for this, turn up the volume!"

RIGHT ON! :banana:
Josh

(....shaking my head staring t the floor....)

48KHz.....

REALLLYYY?????
(with Amy and Tina ;) )

It's like buying a Ferrari to do your commute in city traffic....

sigh....
Hopefully they will learn...or not!

complaining about the bit-rate and not the quality of the title itself....

*shakes head*

there's just no pleasing folks in this community. people will only be happy with what sounds best on their specific system and configuration. there's zero thinking globally here.

frankly, my issue would be with choosing to do a 5.1 mix of a new album by a band past their sell-by date by about 10-15 years. it just continues to play to the current install base and won't attract one single fan to surround.

DVD-A is the kiss of death for an audio release, after ten years, the product just didn't sell and that isn't going to change now despite the fact the audio quality in this case could be the same. There are also far more Blu-ray players in service than DVD-A players. Sony has sold over 30 million Blu-ray all by itself, not a single one of them play DVD-A. The choice for releases like this one is between DVD-V and Blu-ray.

Not wishing to get into a flame war ..

But how many of those 30 million Blu ray players are PS3 which If Sony had any sence would have SACD compatibility ?

I dont think i said DVDA but did say DVD release given the 48/24 bit rate going exotic in stereo being DVD compatible.

I agree with some of your points but putting out a Blu ray disc is not a gaurentee of quality , Havnt there been two very big recalls of discs just recently due to the format not being set yet. and the discs not working properly with the latest software versiosn of Blue ray.

To be honest if they want to push Surround they should be releasing this as a CD/DVD set 48/24/ stereo and DTS production cost are lower than Blu Ray and bigger market penetration.

(....shaking my head staring t the floor....)

48KHz.....

REALLLYYY?????
(with Amy and Tina ;) )

It's like buying a Ferrari to do your commute in city traffic....

sigh....
Hopefully they will learn...or not!

I have not seen an explanation yet regarding the reason so many Blu-ray releases have audio at 48kHz/24-Bit. I wish that would change and Blu-ray would routinely go with 192kHz/24-Bit 5.1 even though I know I can't tell any difference compared to 96kHz and maybe even 48kHz. Tom Petty is an interesting choice and although a good one for me personally, I don't know how well this title will sell to a potential market that is probably still about 90% PS3 based.

Chris

For a (small) explanation of why this happened, take a look at the bottom of this Tom Petty interview with Sound & Vision magazine.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/2010/03/interview-tom-petty-live-anthology-box-set

The interview was for the Blu-Ray release of the Live Anthology box set. There is a lot of live music on that one Blu-Ray disc!

As far as I'm concerned, if it is high-rez surround, I really don't care what format it is. No format war here - just send me the 5.1-channel (or 4.0-channel) music.

BTW, the packaging, according to Amazon, has the audio as 48/24 for 2-channel LPCM but the specs for the 5.1-channel DTS-HD MA track are not listed. Since DTS-HD MA is another form of packed LPCM (with a bunch of extras), it is possible that those tracks are 192/24 or 96/24 or 48/24. Unfortunately without more specs we won't know.

Because Tom Petty is “surround sound aware” is one factor for this release. Whether this is the beginning of a trend of a whole bunch of new releases/reissues or just one in many “Audio only” Blu-Ray releases we’ll have to wait and see. Is it possible that there are more “average Joe’s/Jane’s” hooked up to surround now through Blu-Ray because of HDTV than standard def and thus the reason for this Blu-Ray release? HDMI makes it real easy now to be Multi-Channel.

One would hope though that DVD-A/SACD capabilities become as common in Blu-Ray players as CD/MP3 disc capabilities are. There is still much value in CD/DVD-A. Again, I don’t think one format or another is going to win the day over another as there’s so many out there. They still release material now on 8 track to this day.

Article:
In Arlington, the Eight-Track Cartridge Lives! No, Seriously. Just Ask Cheap Trick.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2009/07/ktswe_have_been_selling_and.php

I have not seen an explanation yet regarding the reason so many Blu-ray releases have audio at 48kHz/24-Bit. I wish that would change and Blu-ray would routinely go with 192kHz/24-Bit 5.1 even though I know I can't tell any difference compared to 96kHz and maybe even 48kHz. Tom Petty is an interesting choice and although a good one for me personally, I don't know how well this title will sell to a potential market that is probably still about 90% PS3 based.

Chris

....and i also think many folks would forgo bit-rate for a good quality mix.

again, i'd be less concerned about sales due to bit rate than i would sales due to the fact that a new Tom Petty album in 2010 is lucky to go gold. what would the 0.1% of that which would buy that on BDAudio come out to?

....and i also think many folks would forgo bit-rate for a good quality mix.

again, i'd be less concerned about sales due to bit rate than i would sales due to the fact that a new Tom Petty album in 2010 is lucky to go gold. what would the 0.1% of that which would buy that on BDAudio come out to?

some bitch about the bit rate while others bitch about the artist. would you rather have a new blue-ray 5.1 release from Jay-Z? His fans may have 99 problems, but buying a disc to play his music ain't one. they won't buy it, heck, they won't even download it after some moron uploads it. they don't care about 5.1

Back