Toshiba SC-410

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn you always find some cool stuff. Another QM decoder. The decode modes are interesting. I don't think I've noticed that on the other Toshiba/Otto gear that's been posted. I'm always befuddled that if this is intended for the J market, why are the labels in English?

Here is the original auction link. Toshiba seems to be trying to compete with the Sansui QS-1 decoder with all those settings. I doubt it is any better in performance. Toshiba made a few decoders like this. Some had built in rear amps like this and others were for 4 channel preamps. This would be best suited for someone with a table top crumpack (tm Quad Linda) stereo system. These come up on Yahoo Auctions a few times a year. It is actually easier to find genuine Sansui decoders of better quality for good prices.

I guess I'll post this here,
I have a Toshiba SC-410S - the export model I guess, identical to the Japanese SC-410 except SQ/RM.
I also have a weird off brand cheapo decoder called a "Passport".

When I cracked open the Passport to
see what's actually going on inside, I noticed a Toshiba I.C. TA7117P.
I'm electrical component stupid, but I was wondering what that Toshiba I.C. did for the Passport, so I cracked the
Toshiba unit open on the chance maybe it had the same one or something simular but couldn't find any I.C.'s. at a
glance and on one screwed down upright board.

But the real question is the Nichicon Caps I saw in the Toshiba, does anyone know if Toshiba might've installed these
factory, or is it possible this Toshiba unit has had some work?

anyone bored might offer their opinion or knowledge.
some fun pictures of all the stuff I'm talking about...

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

also noticed these, which I read on another post were in the bigger SB's like the 504.

IMG_1432.JPG

the Passport's I.C. - maybe it's nothing of any interest?
IMG_1418.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 118
Is it me or does the Passport "decoder" not look like a repurposed DBX 117 or 119? I'd keep it as is for history sake. It seems to be somewhat rare.

This is good to know, that it's basic crap - because I'm thinking about utilizing the case and maybe some switches to install my SM evaluation boards.

thanks Soundfield!
By far the best thing to do with it!

Is it me or does the Passport "decoder" not look like a repurposed DBX 117 or 119? I'd keep it as is for history sake. It seems to be somewhat rare.

Don't want to stray to far from Toshiba as the topic but here's the model # for the Passport for those with idle curiosity

120316526_1157598361302967_2087424734541388923_o.jpg

That looks like it was wired for the EV matrix. For about a year, that was the only matrix on the market.

Let me drop this rotary saw for a second, -EV matrix you say?
Maybe we'll hold off a bit on that re-purpose.

Back