HiRez Poll Toto - IV [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Toto - IV

• Total voters
My favourite band of all time ! If only we could have all their back catalogue, in 5.1 mix. Would pay any amount for that !

Amen to that! I'd especially love to hear a good mix and master of "Turn Back," because the songs are great but the original production is horrible.

Really impressed! Every thing is pretty, really clear, open can be a description from the dilemma. It consists of the info.

a niner.
If only cause, even though it's a great mix, they screwed up the vocals, bringing up too much some back vox that should have stayed there..in the back!

and...ugh! SACD... :=P

I vote 7. The music is decent and The mix is pretty good also. Just not a favorite of mine.

An easy 10 for me. My wife and I share two top-10 favorite songs from this album: Rosanna and Africa. This Elliot Scheiner mix opens the music to reveal fresh detail and texture. It supports a feeling of envelopment and musical cohesion.

Highly recommended.

As djstephan indicates this is usually pricey. Keep an eye out, and you may get lucky! Be careful and make sure you buy the surround version. There are many stereo-only SACD's floating around.

Steve

Lowest price I've seen in a while for this excellent SACD.Thought I'd pass it on.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/524010000

One of the Toto guys revealed on his Facebook page a few months back that they're working on remasters. He also said that this 5.1 mix will be re-released. If you can wait a little longer, you'll probably be able to buy it at a reasonable price again!

Ahh, just found the discussion thread. Here we go.

An “8” overall.

The sonics on this one were always a bit...umm...bright, for lack of a better word. And it’s still more harsh than smooth. And while the 5.1 mix is very good, this might be the only ES mix I feel the need to crank up the rears a dB or two.

And it’s “Toto IV”. A classic album with some great tracks and some much more ho-hum. But a classic nonetheless.

I voted an 8 out of 10 on this one. The album was very well produced, so the overall clarity is excellent. I was expecting a little more surround magic from Scheiner though. There are many moments on this album where there are multiple synth parts as well as piano in the mix at the same time. I wish each part had been given its own channel here and there to fully appreciate the weaving together of the different parts. Oh well. It still sounds great and is my go to version of this album. It just could have been better.

I wish I could find it, but in one of the recent S&V issues they did a shoot-out between four OOP sources for Toto IV and concluded the 5.1 SACD was the one to get. There were even some quotes from the band praising Scheiner's 5.1 mix! S&V is still pro-surround these days it seems...

Such a great disc. "Africa" has to be heard to be believed! It's a mainstay on a lot of my homebrew car samplers and Foobar playlists :)

I wish I could find it, but in one of the recent S&V issues they did a shoot-out between four OOP sources for Toto IV and concluded the 5.1 SACD was the one to get. There were even some quotes from the band praising Scheiner's 5.1 mix! S&V is still pro-surround these days it seems...

Such a great disc. "Africa" has to be heard to be believed! It's a mainstay on a lot of my homebrew car samplers and Foobar playlists :)
I would easily acquire this title in the $30 range, but, short of an unaware 3rd-party seller or a reissue, that will likely never happen.
I just don't really like any songs on it except Africa!

I would easily acquire this title in the $30 range, but, short of an unaware 3rd-party seller or a reissue, that will likely never happen.
I just don't really like any songs on it except Africa!

Yes, Africa....and that's the problem...the disc is worth owning if only for that one track even if you don't like the others.

Back