HiRez Poll Toto - IV [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Toto - IV

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

R-2786079-1475700192-9162.jpeg.jpg

R-2786079-1475700192-9587.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This disk has a nice sound to it and from a surround stand point I would call this a subtle surround mix overall with some nice parts here and there.

I am not a huge Toto fan and I got this because I knew my wife liked a couple of the songs. Turns out I like the disk just fine myslef. I rated the disk a 6 because of the disks I have this wont get as much play as some of the others stuff just because I prefer the some of the other stuff better.

As far as clarity though you wont go wrong with Toto IV, they have a sound that is perfect for Hi Res and it is very appealing from that standpoint.

I held off from purchasing this disc after highfidelityreview.com didn't review it favourably. :(

Thankfully at a SONY training course I was fortunate enough to hear a track or two of this album in all it's Multi Channel glory and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the mix of 'Africa' was incredible and instruments are crystal clear and stand out in a way I had never heard before. Running the song PCM in Pro Logic II just doesn't give the new mix a challenge at all. Excellent.

Having now bought the disc and listened to it a few times through from beginning to end I would definately recommend it to all Toto fans. 8/10

(y)

Foxman said:
This disk has a nice sound to it and from a surround stand point I would call this a subtle surround mix overall with some nice parts here and there.

I am not a huge Toto fan and I got this because I knew my wife liked a couple of the songs. Turns out I like the disk just fine myslef. I rated the disk a 6 because of the disks I have this wont get as much play as some of the others stuff just because I prefer the some of the other stuff better.

As far as clarity though you wont go wrong with Toto IV, they have a sound that is perfect for Hi Res and it is very appealing from that standpoint.

Agreed. The disc features a 5.1 SACD Surround Sound mix by Elliot Scheiner and it has it's moments. But the sonics aren't quite in the league of many other SACDs. So I'd give it a 6 as well.

Someone on the TotoNetwork.com mentioned that there are actually two different 5.1 mixes of Toto IV - one by Scheiner, the other by "someone else".

Can anyone here speak to this?!?!? :confused:

And just because you're reading this, let me tell you that Toto did NOT stop with Toto IV. They've never stopped making great records and their latest, "Falling In Between" is no exception. :)

Someone on the TotoNetwork.com mentioned that there are actually two different 5.1 mixes of Toto IV - one by Scheiner, the other by "someone else".

Can anyone here speak to this?!?!? :confused:

And just because you're reading this, let me tell you that Toto did NOT stop with Toto IV. They've never stopped making great records and their latest, "Falling In Between" is no exception. :)

Well, there are two SACDs of Toto IV - a Stereo SACD and one with a 5.1 SACD mix by Scheiner and a Stereo SACD mix.

If there's another 5.1 mix of Toto IV, perhaps it was for DVD Video or another format.

Well, there are two SACDs of Toto IV - a Stereo SACD and one with a 5.1 SACD mix by Scheiner and a Stereo SACD mix.

If there's another 5.1 mix of Toto IV, perhaps it was for DVD Video or another format.

You know, that just occurred to me this morning. If someone assumes that all SACDs are 5.1 and happens upon the stereo SACD and MC SACD, they'll see Elliot Scheiner's name on one but not the other and assume there's a 5.1 mix by someone else.

It all makes sense now. :mad:@:

I was never fond of Toto back when, but this is a thoroughly enjoyable surround mix.

A great Sunday afternoon listen.

Actually there are three versions.

Stereo only. Single layer Stereo/Multichannel. Double layer Stereo/Multichannel/Hybrid.

So, quick question...I finally got a copy of this and I noticed that the front insert/booklet states quite clearly compact disc, not super audio cd...so, I'm wondering, since my copy was used, does the insert on all the versions you guys have seen state compact disc on the front?? Thanks :)

So, quick question...I finally got a copy of this and I noticed that the front insert/booklet states quite clearly compact disc, not super audio cd...so, I'm wondering, since my copy was used, does the insert on all the versions you guys have seen state compact disc on the front?? Thanks :)

I don't know about all versions, but mine has the Compact Disc logo on front as well, bought new. The back artwork though states SACD with logos.

I don't know about all versions, but mine has the Compact Disc logo on front as well, bought new. The back artwork though states SACD with logos.

Quite a few of my Sony SACDs are like that. They used the booklet for the standard CD and added a tray card for the SACD.

I have the SACD Stereo/Surround/Hybrid version and it has no CD logo on it, on the inside of the cover it has a CBS logo and not Columbia and does have the SACD tray card.

I have the SACD Stereo/Surround/Hybrid version and it has no CD logo on it, on the inside of the cover it has a CBS logo and not Columbia and does have the SACD tray card.
This seems like too early of a title to have been hybrid. You sure about that?

The UK pressing is a hybrid. It was on my wanted list for a while but I eventually gave up on it. It pops up on eBay every now and then.

Back