TT replacement for CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
I have a Mitsubishi straight-line tracking TT from the 80's, that I bought used, per the advice of someone that used to be on here (QQ) . It gave me much improved tracking for CD-4 (almost no tearing sounds). I kinda would like to get a newer TT. So my question is, has anyone here bought a newer TT (since the re-birth of records about 10 years ago) and found it gives great CD-4 tracking?

My Rega RP-1 does just as well as my Dual 1229Q and Pioneer PL71. I think the need for low capacitance wiring is not an issue in newer turntable tonearms. They are probably all CD-4 capable. It's all in the cart.

I have a Mitsubishi straight-line tracking TT from the 80's, that I bought used, per the advice of someone that used to be on here (QQ) . It gave me much improved tracking for CD-4 (almost no tearing sounds). I kinda would like to get a newer TT. So my question is, has anyone here bought a newer TT (since the re-birth of records about 10 years ago) and found it gives great CD-4 tracking?

I would look at either the new Technics Direct Drives or finding an older SL1200mk2 or later. But I have to ask, are you using the LT-22? Is there any problems with it? Myself, if it is mainly for CD4 playback you are concerned about, I'd actually put the money into restoring the LT-22 or whatever model you have and enjoy it for a long time to come. I currently use an SL1200mk2 and my main table is a Technics SL5200. Both have genuine Technics RCA cable replacements from KABUSA and I have no issues with CD4 that aren't attributable to crappy discs.

Another good turntable for CD 4 is the Dual 721.

The higher-end Duals are excellent for CD-4 playback. They have longer tonearms than their entry-level models, so they maintain better cartridge alignment over the full tracking arc. Straight tonearms seem to align better than S-shaped arms, and with a few modifications Duals can really shine. I use a 704 (very similar to the 721) in my home office quad system. The cartridge is an Audio Technica AT14S, which I alternate with a Nagaoka MP-30 (for stereo LPs).

I hard-wired a pair of ultra-low capacitance Belden interconnects and a dedicated ground wire, and I replaced the stock rubber mat with the stock felt mat from my Linn Sondek. The Dual alignment jig is pretty close, but it helps to use one that is more precise. I use a Geo-Disc protractor. Many would disagree with me, but a Shibata stylus is critical to 'correct' CD-4 playback. Others 'might' work, but not correctly.

P1030670.JPG

AT14S04.jpg

Last edited:
Back