Ultimae Records – a dozen ambient/electronica titles in surround for download

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

With the motto "Panoramic Music for Panoramic People", this Lyon-based French label (www.ultimae.com) releases ambient, downtempo, trip hop electronica, deep techno or progressive trance, available in dts-HD [dtshd/dts.wav] or/and Dolby Digital (Plus) [ac3/mp4]. The oldest title is two and a half years old now and you can sample the music at ultimae.bandcamp.com.

UallCUT.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Be careful when you are ordering. I bought the Remote Redux download and chose the DTS option. It provides the album in mp3, FLAC and WAV formats but they are all stereo. I guess I should have opted for the Dolby 5.1 mix but I (wrongly) assumed that the 5.1 mix would be available in the higher res formats. Another one down to experience.

Thank you for pointing this out!
Hopefully it's just some kind of error as the title was released yesterday... wouldn't make much sense to include dts format stereo-only, right?
Be careful when you are ordering. I bought the Remote Redux download and chose the DTS option. It provides the album in mp3, FLAC and WAV formats but they are all stereo. I guess I should have opted for the Dolby 5.1 mix but I (wrongly) assumed that the 5.1 mix would be available in the higher res formats. Another one down to experience.

The 5.1 pack of Remote Redux includes the following formats :
1/ Dolby Digital (.AC3)
2/ Dolby Digital Plus (.EC3)

What would be the difference?

Yeah, I’ve hesitated to order any, because it was all a little confusing about which was what! So then there’s no Hi-Res surround option right? That’s not necessarily a killer for me, but just like to have clarity.
P.S. *Didn’t really want to start my second day in a row with a “Stormwatch” type fiasco🎃

I gues I'm asking what would be the benefit of choosing the DD+ option? Since there aren't any additional channels, a higher bitrate, perhaps?
Here's a handy chart; but just because DD+ can support higher rates doesn't necessarily mean it will have to.

DOLBY D.JPG

Fine print: pertaining to these formats.;)

Last edited:
Any recommendations for newbies to this label? I tend to enjoy this ambient, trip-hop, etc. How are the surround mixes? Anything to be gained there versus just upmixing stereo?

Last edited:
Any recommendations for newbies to this label? I tend to enjoy this ambient, trip-hop, etc. How are the surround mixes? Anything to be gained there versus just upmixing stereo?
Definitely listen to some or all the titles on-line from the links @haikubass provided; I listened to some on headphones last night. Enjoyed most of it; but I'd also like to hear from someone here that's actually heard the surround mixes and get some feedback.

I ordered this tittle and also got the wrong files. I wrote an e-mail and got excuses and they send me the correct link the next working day.
So I now got the DTSHD link in lossless multi channel, inre096DTSHD-JAMES-MURRAY-FRANCIS-M-GRI-Remote-Redux-dtshd.zip
It contains the album in Hi-res DTS encoded Wav files. (1.43 GB). Great service and for 10€ no that expensive. So far I bought 6 of their titles, will buy the other 6 later.

Back