Un-rippable DTS CD from 1996. Huh?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Andreas.

I've never heard of DTS Parser, and Google searches are turning up links to uninstall it, so I am not sure if it's safe to get or not. Is there a viable link somewhere to get the program? Are there issues with it? I really don't want to get my PC screwed up just to decode this CD. It's not that important when I can just play it into the MOTU and be done with it.

I did follow one link to it but it was blocked by my MalwareBytes.

I am using the program for years but at the end of the day it’s your decision...

I don’t know if this the location from where I downloaded but this site is normally ok. But, again, your call.

http://forum.doom9.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7972&d=1199902229

The DTS Parser solution did not work for me - but I found something that did:

In replay post #19 on this page:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,94988.0.html

you can download a small file - that unpacks to 2 files, move these 2 files to the map that contains your .wav dts files (rip with eac) . And just drop them on the wav2dts.exe file - and they transform to playable .dts files.

Then convert to flac in Foobar if you like.

Last edited:
Now listening to this for the first time:

5I0R3H7.jpg

:smokin

You can avoid all these steps by installing the DTS plugin for foobar2000. The EAC-ripped DTS wav files will play as typical multi-channel wav files.
DTS-CDs will also play without ripping.

Hi Jon,

try these steps:
- rip the CD to wav files with EAC
- convert the wav files with DTS Parser to DTS files (Processing option = Rebuild Stream)
- convert the DTS files with Audio Muxer to wav/flac

You can avoid all these steps by installing the DTS plugin for foobar2000. The EAC-ripped DTS wav files will play as typical multi-channel wav files.
DTS-CDs will also play without ripping.

I haven't had a chance to try the "little program", but I did download it and will give it a spin tomorrow.

As far as Foobar goes, I had the DTS plugin, and also upgraded it and Foobar to their latest versions while I was trying everything. Like I said, other DTS CDs decode and convert fine, this one - not so much.

I can make two nice guesses here. The DTS-CD standard obliges the implementation to include some early version of the DTS encoder (along with the final) which is incompatible to the latest one. Most PC software developers (coding for fun, mostly) ignore this early version since most discs are not encoded with it. Another reason (as mentioned) could be some primitive encryption which is not mandatory by the standard but it is described in it. This should be easy to crack but no one cares.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I had a few minutes this morning. I tried the wav2dts program that Spock suggested. When I ran it on a track that I ripped with EAC, I got the error: "Don't find a valid dts header in the first 99998 bytes"

So apparently this thing is really wonky. Amazing that it works in an audio system. When I get home from work I will try a few more things and get back to this thread - in case in the future someone else runs into this type of thing.

I just spent the last few hours trying different things and nothing worked. I even went through the whole VLC/FFMPEG deal, and although the file was indeed changed, Foobar still played it fast and sounding like it was in a tin can, which is just the way the unaltered file played.

I tried wav2dts which returned an error, DTSParser V2.0, and a few other suggestions. AudioMuxer did nothing. This disc was either created with a a first gen, no longer used spec, or there is some early attempt at copy protection going on here, a copy protection scheme that was never widely used or used again!

Anyway, I am now just recording it in from Oppo through the MOTU into Vegas and I'll be done with it. Just like old times! :)

Thanks to everyone for all of the ideas. This kind of stuff is fun, really - as long as you don't end up doing it all of the time. For a few days, it's a fun adventure!

I'm betting it is "open bitrate". Ran in to this problem with my original Sting - Nothing Like the Sun DTS CD. No idea how I eventually got around it, as it was a while ago, but here is a thread that discussed the issue... Link

I'm betting it is "open bitrate". Ran in to this problem with my original Sting - Nothing Like the Sun DTS CD. No idea how I eventually got around it, as it was a while ago, but here is a thread that discussed the issue... Link

Yeah, something is amiss with this disc. I pulled up a hex editor but had no clue where to find the header. But now, it doesn't matter because I have a nice 24/96 play-in of the disc, and even though the source was 16/44, I'm going to leave it that way as that's how I had my recorded set up (forgot to change the settings). Anyway it sounds nice and now I can take the track or two I want for compilation USBs. The mix on this disc is front-centric anyway. For a surround demo, it's very ambient driven. The test tracks are fine, but the channel identification is not as discrete as the test tones. I guess they believed in having the center channel contain lower volumes of the front right and front left when they are being called out for identification.

Indeed, a strange disc. I don't even remember where I got it. Probably it was on a display in a LaserDisc store.

Baffled by this Sting - Nothing Like the Sun early DTS CD as mentioned above. I tried 3 different methods to get DTS wavs into the PC (including Exact Audio Copy) and Foobar decode would always create decoded files that play at double speed. read through the DTS Parser thread (14 header should be made into 16) and downloaded the wavtodts tool and attempting to use it in command line instruction mode. Very little documentation so I'm trying different ways to get the syntax right. I put the wav2dts.exe right in the Sting album folder and now get 'cannot open input file' which is better than all the not recognized errors I got trying to run it from the root of the drive.

Thought this should work: wav2dts fragile.wav (song example) but get error above.

Timbre4,

I jumped thru similar hoops trying to convert the Sting - Nothing Like The Sun DTS-CD to FLACs a month or two ago. I wrestled with this for a few hours before I found the solution.

The combination that seemed to work was:
- eac to get the wav files
- I renamed the files to simple names (Track1.wav, Track2.wav, etc) for next step.
- wav2dts to fix the header (I had to update the windows folder path to get this work) - I don't remember if I got the errors that you were describing. I was able to get output files for Audacity.
- Audacity with the FFmpeg plugin for conversion to flac files (In Audacity, import via the ffmpeg-compatible files option, and then export as multichannel flacs).

Good luck!

Last edited:
I had issues with Sting's Brand New Day dts release, was never able to crack that one so I ended up grabbing the DVD-A of that one. Seems I got the others somehow, don't remember how though.

Been there with the Stings and succeeded via another method: ripped WAVs (maybe with foobar, too), then went to audio conversion window of AudioMuxer, got "fixed" file extesions and finally conversed these to FLAC with foobar.

That was a couple of years ago though and many wicked things might have happened since in the mysterious realm of all things audio...

Back