Using SACD Extract to Create Music Files from Dutton SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So my fellow D-V fans, tomorrow I will extract some new D-V's to make USB's for the car.

What will I get when I use sacd_extract on the "Sextant"? Is the entire thing discrete or not. I'm a bit confused as to what we actually have there.

So my fellow D-V fans, tomorrow I will extract some new D-V's to make USB's for the car.

What will I get when I use sacd_extract on the "Sextant"? Is the entire thing discrete or not. I'm a bit confused as to what we actually have there.

yes the whole album's discrete,
all tracks, 1-3, are present and correct in Multichannel.

Stereo SACD & Redbook layers have the original Stereo tracks 1-3 and encoded SQ tracks 4-6.

Stereo SACD & Redbook layers have the original Stereo tracks 1-3 and encoded SQ tracks 4-6.

It's kind of amazing that there are FIVE different versions of the album on a single disc!
  1. PCM of the stereo version
  2. PCM of the SQ quad version
  3. DSD of the stereo version
  4. Discrete multichannel DSD of the quad version
  5. DSD of the SQ quad version

It's kind of amazing that there are FIVE different versions of the album on a single disc!

yes!! isn't it wonderful!! :love:

that's why they (Warner, Universal, Sony etc) didn't need no schtinkin' DualDisc! SACD could do it all already.
well maybe not the Dolby Digital or "Enhanced Stereo" of dubious origin bits or video content but it did all the important bits just as well if not better.. :ROFLMAO:

So does that mean in order to get tracks 4-6 in SQ surround; we'd need to run it through the SMv2 (or similar) and record the results to digital on a computer? I doubt a car's system has a SQ decoder built in.

So does that mean in order to get tracks 4-6 in SQ surround; we'd need to run it through the SMv2 (or similar) and record the results to digital on a computer? I doubt a car's system has a SQ decoder built in.

yeah i guess you'd just run tracks 4-6 thru your SMv.2 in SQ mode and save the 4-channel tracks to a stick or burn them to a disc or something..

or get a Gavotte and some extra wiring junk in yer trunk!

(was kinda like a Fosgate Tate decoder for the car i think? not sure if it actually did SQ but something approximating it? anyway.. they pop up on eBay fairly regularly and look cool! if i had a car i'd have had a flutter and a fiddle!)

Yes, the Super Audio CD (SACD) format brings a lot to the table.

Stereo SACDs don't include Multichannel DSD music tracks. But they do include Stereo DSD music tracks.
With Hybrid SACD discs - they give you Stereo redbook CD (PCM) music tracks as well.

Discrete, yes, but i'm trying hard to figure out how Sextant can be considered "car music"...

I am Using the ISO2DSD ripping the SACD from a Sony BluRay BX510.
However the Vocalion SACD can include both the stereo and the quad tracks on the same SACD. Even when I set the player to read 2ch, not multi ch, the rip only rips the multi ch tracks.
I can see all the tracks listed on the ISO2DSD screen. They are in a group "Track (0). The Multi Ch only tracks are shown under group track (1). Obviously I am only able to access Track(1). How would I access track (0) and get the stereo tracks which are in addition to the quad multi ch tracks?

I am Using the ISO2DSD ripping the SACD from a Sony BluRay BX510.
However the Vocalion SACD can include both the stereo and the quad tracks on the same SACD. Even when I set the player to read 2ch, not multi ch, the rip only rips the multi ch tracks.
I can see all the tracks listed on the ISO2DSD screen. They are in a group "Track (0). The Multi Ch only tracks are shown under group track (1). Obviously I am only able to access Track(1). How would I access track (0) and get the stereo tracks which are in addition to the quad multi ch tracks?
Where are you "seeing all the tracks on the ISO2DSD screen?" Do you mean as they are scrolling by?
You should be ripping to an ISO first and, later, extracting the stereo and/or multichhannel DSFs as a separate step.

Where are you "seeing all the tracks on the ISO2DSD screen?" Do you mean as they are scrolling by?
You should be ripping to an ISO first and, later, extracting the stereo and/or multichhannel DSFs as a separate step.
You should be able to rip directly to dsf, without ripping to an ISO first. That's how I do it, works for stereo and multis. Make sure that you click on the executable jar file to run the program, not the .exe.

I found the Multi/Dual option and that sets it to rip the stereo (2 channel) section. as noted below. Thank You Ted_B.
I do rip directly to dsf and see this when it is ripping.

Version: 1.20
Area Description Phonetic: Vocalion
Track Count: 9
Speaker config: 6 Channel
Track list [1]:

Version: 1.20
Area Description Phonetic: Vocalion
Track Count: 14
Speaker config: 2 Channel
Track list [0]:

Thanks for the help, all is now working well.

I found this thread interseting.
When I ripped my Sextant SACD as Multi I only got tracks 1,2,3. To get the tracks 4,5,6 I rip as Dual?
Discogs shows the Dutton Vocalion SACD release as:
1Rain Dance
Electronics [Random Resonator Played By] – Fundi (2)Synthesizer [ARP Synthesizers Played By] – Patrick GleesonSynthesizer [Patrick Gleeson Assisted By] – Herbie HancockWritten-By – Hancock*
9:16
2Hidden Shadows
Written-By – Hancock*
10:13
3Hornets
Written-By – Hancock*
19:37
4Rain Dance (SQ Encoded Quad Mix)
Electronics [Random Resonator Played By] – Fundi (2)Synthesizer [ARP Synthesizers Played By] – Patrick GleesonSynthesizer [Patrick Gleeson Assisted By] – Herbie HancockWritten-By – Hancock*
9:16
5Hidden Shadows (SQ Encoded Quad Mix)
Written-By – Hancock*
10:13
6Hornets (SQ Encoded Quad Mix)
Written-By – Hancock*

Back