WB JAPAN 5.1 SACDs: Up Close

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Here are the promised scans of the first and second batches of WB/Rhino/EA SACDs which are in fact re-releases of US out of print DVD-A titles. I would expect these to become very rare very soon, so those interested might want to think about grabbing the titles that interest you, if you feel so inclined.

I will add 'SACD' to the HiRez Polls with regards to these titles, however, since they're the same mix as the DVD-A's, I will not create new polls. You can comment in the existing thread for each title, and make note that you are speaking of the SACD with regards to the content. (Just as we did with the UMG titles that were released in both formats (GBYBR, Tommy, etc)

You can read more about them in the forum, or go to their website at http://wmg.jp/sacdcd/

Here in the US, Rhino has been silent about Quadio and these import discs. I have sent emails to John Hughes with regards to both and have not gotten a response. Not sure if his hands are tied or his lips! :)

Here's a look at the OBI edges, all in numerical order, which is perfect for us anal types! :)
(You don't know how many times I attempted to like them all up perfectly. Let's just say I gave up)

OBI Edges 2.jpg

WPCR 14156: Eagles - Hotel California

QQ Eagles Front.jpg
QQ Eagles Back.jpg

WPCR 14166: Deep Purple - Machine Head

QQ Deep Purple Front.jpg
QQ Deep Purple Back.jpg

WPCR 14167: Yes - Fragile

QQ Yes Front.jpg
QQ Yes Back.jpg

WPCR 14168: Chicago V

QQ Chicago V Front.jpg
QQ Chicago V Back.jpg

WPCR 14169: Linda Ronstadt - What's New

QQ Linda Front.jpg
QQ Linda Back.jpg

WPCR-14170: Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

QQ Nightfly Front.jpg
QQ Nightfly Back.jpg

WPCR-14171: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

QQ Fleetwood Front.jpg
QQ Fleetwood Back.jpg

WPCR-14172: Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me

QQ Doobies Front.jpg
QQ Doobies Back.jpg

Yeah. I'd love to see it over here on this side of the large ocean!

So glad they kept the Japanese print to the OBI strips. So glad I ordered Fragile. Can't wait till it comes in from amazon in a few days.

PS They just dropped the price of that title from $41.28 to $37.77! :)

Interesting that the Rhino logo is still on the discs......

Hey Jon:

Just a suggestion....for Deep Purple - Machine Head you may want to label the Hi-rez poll titles on them to something like:

• Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD [DVD-A/Japan SACD - 5.1 Mix] (for the DVD-A& Japan SACD)

• Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD [SACD - Original Quad Mix] (for the original SACD)

Could get quite confusing.....:confused:

Waiting for Foreigner 4 on SACD!!!!

I've been thinking a great deal about these new SACD releases recently because I am wondering if I am better off selling the DVD-Audios of these albums that I already own (to purchase the new SACD versions)....the reason I'm asking myself this question is because I do honestly wonder for how much longer will DVD-Audio (or universal) players be available. I don't really have the background or distinctive insider information that many of the other forum members have. Do any of you fear that dvd-audio players will be a thing of the past in the near future? Obviously, I realize that there are already relatively few universal players that play both sacd and dvd-audio, and I do see some future for the SACD market (minimally due to the presence of never-ending classical music sacd releases. Your thoughts on this??

So glad they kept the Japanese print to the OBI strips. So glad I ordered Fragile. Can't wait till it comes in from amazon in a few days.

PS They just dropped the price of that title from $41.28 to $37.77! :)

Same for Deep Purple - Machine Head $37.77...we'll come to know whether these will be delayed tomorrow morning...if Prime 2 day shipping is available, that will mean it is in stock.

I've been thinking a great deal about these new SACD releases recently because I am wondering if I am better off selling the DVD-Audios of these albums that I already own (to purchase the new SACD versions)....the reason I'm asking myself this question is because I do honestly wonder for how much longer will DVD-Audio (or universal) players be available. I don't really have the background or distinctive insider information that many of the other forum members have. Do any of you fear that dvd-audio players will be a thing of the past in the near future? Obviously, I realize that there are already relatively few universal players that play both sacd and dvd-audio, and I do see some future for the SACD market (minimally due to the presence of never-ending classical music sacd releases. Your thoughts on this??

Moreover these DVD Audios were manufactured almost 8-10 years back...if we assume DVD-A, SACDs have a limited average life-span, say 20 years...SACDs will last longer...

Moreover these DVD Audios were manufactured almost 8-10 years back...if we assume DVD-A, SACDs have a limited average life-span, say 20 years...SACDs will last longer...

Yes, this was definitely another thought. As much as I do prefer the sound quality (a bit warmer sound) of dvd-audio, I don't usually watch the bonus videos and such...though I would really miss the Silver Springs song on Fleetwood Mac's Rumours :(

They are putting DVD-Audio playback on some of the new Blu-Ray players so for what it's worth...

And so far the SACDs are IDENTICAL to the DVD-As in artwork, disc art, mixes and track selection.
So Fleetwood Mac will have Silver Springs on it, just as Fragile has America, Chicago has Dialogue Pts 1&2 Live, etc.
The DVD-As still sound better... but if you can't get one, these will work.

-B

I would not worry about not being able to get a DVD-A player with respect to an SACD player. Here in 2011, one can still get a Q8 player on eBay very easily. Players from Oppo and Denon will be around still for some time, not to mention many 2012 cars still have them in them.

You can rip audio data off a DVDA quite easily these days (hi rez or lossy, doesn't matter), store it as files on a drive, and stream the audio from the drive. Meaning, you never have to use a DVDA player again. It's much, much harder to do that with an SACD. I see little point in re-purchasing any DVDAs, especially not as pricey Japanese SACD.

Same for Deep Purple - Machine Head $37.77...we'll come to know whether these will be delayed tomorrow morning...if Prime 2 day shipping is available, that will mean it is in stock.

Eagles & Deep Purple are showing ships in 7-11 days. Yes is temporarily out of stock. I ordered eagles on 9th Aug, so hope to get it in 7 days...Also check out marketplace sellers, some of them may soon beat amazon price including shipping.

Back