Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And hello from Boston. Longtime mastering, mixing and recording engineer for the well known and obscure artist. Working on any channel count from one to very many. Enthused about working in immersive and cynical about the consumer market......Monitoring includes Grace, Dunlavy, PMC, ATC and Lipinski depending on venue
Great to have another active professional on board! Let us know anout the recordings you’ve worked, and I’m sure you’ll get a bunch of sales from the members here.

Dear all,
Greetz from Germany! Great to be part of the squad! After lurking for some weeks, I had to sign in, really great website!

My first experience with surround sound was in the 90s:
Dolby Surround on VHS, AC3 5.1 on laserdisc until the DVD came out. Main usage was for motion pictures, but already realized at that time, that music can also sound awesome in surround (e. g. watching the Blues Brothers movie - btw IMO best version of Peter Gunn Theme ever!).

In 2002 I bought my first own surround gear: a 6.0-system, which seems a bit odd today and I think there has not been much content that took advantage of the rear center. Focus was still on movies, but I also bought various Music-Video-DVDs during the following years. However, apart from some exceptions (Queen, REM), the surround mix was often poor: almost nothing in the rear channels - every AVR can do better upmixes. Many discs were not worth the money...

About 10 years later, I was totally flashed when I first listened to the quad mix of Santana (Abraxas) and DSOTM! These (still) show what is possible and pushed my interest in surround music even more.

The last items I bought were Japan-SACDs of Santana (Caravanserai, Welcome), some DV-SACD (Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Percy Faith, Floyd Cramer) and AIR - Moon Safari.

Concerning streaming I am right at the beginning, but with the help of the QQ-forum I have already found some interesting releases with excellent surround mix. I love the albums of Sublime and Bob Marley (all) and also enjoy listening to Elton John (Diamonds), Lady Gaga and a lot more.

I have never been listening to Atmos with 2 or 4 speakers in the ceiling, and have only a 5.1-system (with 4 equal floorspeakers) and so an "oldschool" quadraphonic mix sounds best for me.
I favor discrete surroundmixes such as those from Santana, DSOTM and Enoch Light (all quad, all made in the 70s). Of course, these are not the only ones, but my personal reference with respect to the mix (IMO the original DSOTM 4.0-mix is significant better than the 5.1-mix).

Due to this forum, I very recently came across the Tacet-label for classical music in surround. I ordered some discs... OMG, this here is really the money pit! :)

Looking forward to (hopefully) amazing (discrete) surround releases of the following, among others:

Bob Marley - The Legend lives on
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Massive Attack - Protection; No Protection
Röyksopp - Please Stay (Title)
Sublime - 2nd Hand Smoke
Jamiroquai - Synchronized, Debut
Black Sabbath - all albums from the Osbourne years (not just Paranoid, which is a bit overused for me)
Abba - Gold & More Gold
Metallica - ...and justice for all, Master of Puppets
Supertramp - Crime; Breakfast
Blues Brothers Soundtrack
Iron Maiden - 7th son; Somewhere in time
more from Enoch Light
more from Tony Mottola

Is any of the forementioned already available? Please let me know!

So long

Dear all,
Greetz from Germany! Great to be part of the squad! After lurking for some weeks, I had to sign in, really great website!

My first experience with surround sound was in the 90s:
Dolby Surround on VHS, AC3 5.1 on laserdisc until the DVD came out. Main usage was for motion pictures, but already realized at that time, that music can also sound awesome in surround (e. g. watching the Blues Brothers movie - btw IMO best version of Peter Gunn Theme ever!).

In 2002 I bought my first own surround gear: a 6.0-system, which seems a bit odd today and I think there has not been much content that took advantage of the rear center. Focus was still on movies, but I also bought various Music-Video-DVDs during the following years. However, apart from some exceptions (Queen, REM), the surround mix was often poor: almost nothing in the rear channels - every AVR can do better upmixes. Many discs were not worth the money...

About 10 years later, I was totally flashed when I first listened to the quad mix of Santana (Abraxas) and DSOTM! These (still) show what is possible and pushed my interest in surround music even more.

The last items I bought were Japan-SACDs of Santana (Caravanserai, Welcome), some DV-SACD (Enoch Light, Tony Mottola, Percy Faith, Floyd Cramer) and AIR - Moon Safari.

Concerning streaming I am right at the beginning, but with the help of the QQ-forum I have already found some interesting releases with excellent surround mix. I love the albums of Sublime and Bob Marley (all) and also enjoy listening to Elton John (Diamonds), Lady Gaga and a lot more.

I have never been listening to Atmos with 2 or 4 speakers in the ceiling, and have only a 5.1-system (with 4 equal floorspeakers) and so an "oldschool" quadraphonic mix sounds best for me.
I favor discrete surroundmixes such as those from Santana, DSOTM and Enoch Light (all quad, all made in the 70s). Of course, these are not the only ones, but my personal reference with respect to the mix (IMO the original DSOTM 4.0-mix is significant better than the 5.1-mix).

Due to this forum, I very recently came across the Tacet-label for classical music in surround. I ordered some discs... OMG, this here is really the money pit! :)

Looking forward to (hopefully) amazing (discrete) surround releases of the following, among others:

Bob Marley - The Legend lives on
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Massive Attack - Protection; No Protection
Röyksopp - Please Stay (Title)
Sublime - 2nd Hand Smoke
Jamiroquai - Synchronized, Debut
Black Sabbath - all albums from the Osbourne years (not just Paranoid, which is a bit overused for me)
Abba - Gold & More Gold
Metallica - ...and justice for all, Master of Puppets
Supertramp - Crime; Breakfast
Blues Brothers Soundtrack
Iron Maiden - 7th son; Somewhere in time
more from Enoch Light
more from Tony Mottola

Is any of the forementioned already available? Please let me know!

So long
Be sure to check out the Rhino Quadio series. They will have some you want! And welcome aboard! :)

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, finally decided to sign up and hop into some discussions! I’m an in -house mixing/mastering engineer for Sony music, specializing in Atmos mixing. I’ve had the absolute pleasure to work on quite a few of the frontline and catalog reissues for Atmos distribution. I’m not sure if links are allowed here, but here’s an abbreviated list of some of my credits:

https://credits.muso.ai/profile/d0120af4-f7c5-4977-97c9-c21af56c7e52

I’ve loved reading the comments and discussions here around Spatial Audio - if anyone has any recommendations regarding some technical discussions of the format I would love to jump in - looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

My old password went to an email I no longer have. Not exactly new here...just been a while. I have recently obtained a tate 201. Not 101. 201. Looks as it is indeed for 12v power...

My old password went to an email I no longer have. Not exactly new here...just been a while. I have recently obtained a tate 201. Not 101. 201. Looks as it is indeed for 12v power...
There was a lot of stuff being sold from Jim Fosgate's estate last year. I remember one item was a Tate 201. AFAIK It looked like a prototype, for automotive use.

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, finally decided to sign up and hop into some discussions! I’m an in -house mixing/mastering engineer for Sony music, specializing in Atmos mixing. I’ve had the absolute pleasure to work on quite a few of the frontline and catalog reissues for Atmos distribution. I’m not sure if links are allowed here, but here’s an abbreviated list of some of my credits:

I’ve loved reading the comments and discussions here around Spatial Audio - if anyone has any recommendations regarding some technical discussions of the format I would love to jump in - looking forward to getting to know everyone here!
Welcome! Always nice to have another pro onboard!! I love to hear discussion and see photos of Atmos mix studios, and how to get the best sounding playback on home systems that are most likely limited compared to what was mixed on in the studio! Any expert tips for those considering building a home Atmos system? I am just finishing up getting a new 5.1 base system and am interested in expanding it to Atmos when possible.

There was a lot of stuff being sold from Jim Fosgate's estate last year. I remember one item was a Tate 201. AFAIK It looked like a prototype, for automotive use.
Yes it def looks prototype-ish. There is just a crudely cut hole for what appears the power cable. There are also two IC chip sockets with nothing in them...hope they weren't scavenged. Even a 101 schematic should give me some clues on this.

For damage so far I see a blown up capacitor. I'll replace that and attempt to power it. I'm hoping I don't need the "head" control to make it work. I'm guessing that was for a panning joystick similar to the 101. May need to jump a "remote" wire in order to turn it on much like most car audio.

As I go, I'll try and document in a new thread.

Welcome! Always nice to have another pro onboard!! I love to hear discussion and see photos of Atmos mix studios, and how to get the best sounding playback on home systems that are most likely limited compared to what was mixed on in the studio! Any expert tips for those considering building a home Atmos system? I am just finishing up getting a new 5.1 base system and am interested in expanding it to Atmos when possible.
It is
Hi all,

It's my understanding the Atmos idea uses the 8 discrete digital channels of "TrueHD" and then implements phase matrixing to extrapolate multiples from each of those...?

Thanks & great to meet you! For home theater setups, my biggest recommendation would be to utilize a receiver or soundbar that has a phase correction calibration built in, since in my experience, the more speakers you add to a setup, the phasing issues become apparent fast in different listening positions. Most of the newer soundbar setups with rear and height speaker addons seem to have something like that baked into the software. At the studio here, we’re using a 15.2 genelec system that’s calibrated through the GLM software

It is

It's my understanding the Atmos idea uses the 8 discrete digital channels of "TrueHD" and then implements phase matrixing to extrapolate multiples from each of those...?
From my understanding TrueHd is a lossless Dolby delivery channel based codec that currently isn’t supported by music streaming services with Atmos offerings(I could be wrong here, there may be a niche DSP that does distribute TrueHd). Currently Atmos content is being distributed through AC4 and ALAC codecs which are lossy compressed formats on DSPs (for reference, a standard ADM BWF that I send to DSPs is ~1-2gb on average, vs like ~50mb for a 24/44.1k stereo WAV)

Yes it def looks prototype-ish. There is just a crudely cut hole for what appears the power cable. There are also two IC chip sockets with nothing in them...hope they weren't scavenged. Even a 101 schematic should give me some clues on this.

For damage so far I see a blown up capacitor. I'll replace that and attempt to power it. I'm hoping I don't need the "head" control to make it work. I'm guessing that was for a panning joystick similar to the 101. May need to jump a "remote" wire in order to turn it on much like most car audio.

As I go, I'll try and document in a new thread.
The chips may have been scavenged. Last year there were some decoders for sale 101's and maybe a Terrasond along with a chip lot. The chips appeared to be all the National ones no Exars. I was outbid on that lot. I think the 201 was in a separate auction or buy it now sale.
Good luck with it in any case. If nothing else it is a great piece of history!

Hello, Folks, this is Bob from Falls Church, VA. I've recently discovered and joined this Quad page, hoping to find many, primarily musical, content recommendations for my Atmos 5.2.4 music and home theater system. I am primarily a music fan (rock, jazz, classical) though I like movies, too.

I have a few surround discs of rock concerts and would love to find more of jazz, classical, and Brazilian music. I am confused and torn between buying more disks, and going with more streaming (I have Amazon Music). I would like to get as many choices with Atmos, though my Yamaha receiver can simulate height content from fewer-channel content.

FYI - my system (today) is:
Yamaha RV-A2050
Legacy Audio Signature towers (LCR)
Klipsch in-wall surrounds
Triad 12 in subs and amps
Oppo BDP-95 disc player

Looking forward to what this group has to offer. Last week's announcement of new Rhino titles was exciting!

Bob C

Hi. Thanks for allowing me to join. I came to this site via Andrew Dixon's You Tube video demonstrating making lossless audio files from DVD/Blu-Ray for personal use. It will enable me to create digital audio files of many concerts I have on those formats. Look forward to interacting with the group.

Steve

Back