Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a whole thread about the SMv2; welcome to Chucky Land! (They haven't shipped yet!)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mp-to-the-left-and-a-step-to-the-right.25170/
It decodes Quad LPs (except CD-4) & I believe Q8 (Quad); and it will create a "Faux" surround experience with your stereo sources that some here have claimed is one of the best. Keep in mind about the type of receiver it needs to run through with "analog" inputs. The quality of the effect depends much on the source material; some do better than others.

:hi:51QQ:SG
Beat you by one minute!

Actually rawmacias I have no problem “bending a knee” in your honor, your knowledge of legacy Quad equipment and content dwarfs mine. I’m actually considering a purchase of a QRX-9001 because of seeing some of your posts and other research. As long as there’s an outfit that can shine it up for me- just might have to get one🧐

U must really be into it w reel to reel...
Thats pretty deep n old technology

I've only got like aprx 400 cds aprx 40-50 multi channel discs (collected last yr)
And a box of aprx 50 stereo old lps

All my cassettes were stolen yrs ago
I had aprx 300 45 s but parents made me give them away as a teen when we moved...still upset about that...they'd be collectors items today

And I've lived my life...my work in a male dominated world...was hazed here at first...but its 👌

Actually rawmacias I have no problem “bending a knee” in your honor, your knowledge of legacy Quad equipment and content dwarfs mine. I’m actually considering a purchase of a QRX-9001 because of seeing some of your posts and other research. As long as there’s an outfit that can shine it up for me- just might have to get one🧐
When you get your 9001 and if it needs refurbish , send it to QRXrestore in Eugene , OR. I drove mine up mid last month and I should be getting a call to pick it up. Can't wait! Had it for a few years just sitting waiting to get done. See'in that you are a neighbor, you can borrow one of my 7001's til you get your own . They have same decoders , just less power.

Last edited:
U must really be into it w reel to reel...
Thats pretty deep n old technology

I've only got like aprx 400 cds aprx 40-50 multi channel discs (collected last yr)
And a box of aprx 50 stereo old lps

All my cassettes were stolen yrs ago
I had aprx 300 45 s but parents made me give them away as a teen when we moved...still upset about that...they'd be collectors items today

And I've lived my life...my work in a male dominated world...was hazed here at first...but its 👌
To be into analog quad, the rr tape is probably the closest to discrete 4 channel as one can get. Next would be the discrete 8 tracks (of all things!) , then vinyl. Again, that's in analog.
Old tech, like old Bob! Matches perfectly!

Men's world - I have two daughters who shine in it !

Last edited:
Anyone here who gets "hazed", or feels they are getting "hazed", PM me immediately. I will not tolerate it one bit.
Everyone in this forum deserves to be treated with respect - y'hear?

Maybe hazed a lil strong...more like flamed...kindof like a college initiation...its ok i handled it...n noone knew i was a girl at first...i guess everyone does now...i maybe female but ive told on occasion i have "big balls"
👌

Wow.... what is this surround-master thing? It turns stereo into surround?

One of the most popular methods for delivering quadraphonic sound on LPs back in the 1970s was matrix technology. The original four channel master tape would be passed through a device called an encoder. The encoder created a special stereo mix-down in which the information intended for the rear channels was shifted out-of-phase. This new stereo mix created from the original four channels was pressed onto LPs. The consumer would then buy the "quad" LP and play it through another device called a decoder, which would retrieve the out-of-phase information and send it to the rear channels. The problem is, once the four channels have been mixed together it's impossible to completely separate them again: you'd hear the front channels at a lower volume in the rears, and vice versa.

There were a few different quad matrices used by different record labels back in the '70s, and none of them are fully compatible with each other. It's often said matrix technology was a huge contributor to the downfall of quad.

The Surround Master unit features different settings that can accurately decode the "Stereo-Quadraphonic" (SQ) matrix that CBS used for their quad LPs (of which hundreds were released, see this list), and the "Quad-phonic Synthesizer" (QS) matrix that ABC records and several other smaller labels used.

The setting that decodes the QS matrix LPs ("Involve") also separates normal stereo records into an often very convincing faux surround.

So, in total you're getting two real-time quad matrix decoders and a surround-to-stereo upmixer in one package. Hope that helps!

It decodes Quad LPs (except CD-4) & I believe Q8 (Quad)

CD-4 and Q8 are discrete technologies, meaning that the original four channels have not been mixed together in any way, so they do not require decoding of any sort.

For CD-4, you need two things: a specialized cartridge with extended high frequency response and a "shibata" stylus, and an external device called a "CD-4 Disc Demodulator". For Q8, all you need is a 4-channel 8-track deck.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
To be into analog quad, the rr tape is probably the closest to discrete 4 channel as one can get. Next would be the discrete 8 tracks (of all things!) , then vinyl. Again, that's in analog.
Old tech, like old Bob! Matches perfectly!

Men's world - I have two daughters who shine in it !

I can't even think about the money pit reel to reel would take...8 tracks also long gone...in the 70s i was a mere child influenced by record labels n radio...quad lps have got to be very few n far between...so with my limited funds i guess im stuck in sacds blurays n the long lost dvda format
Have a great day

I can't even think about the money pit reel to reel would take...8 tracks also long gone...in the 70s i was a mere child influenced by record labels n radio...quad lps have got to be very few n far between...so with my limited funds i guess im stuck in sacds blurays n the long lost dvda format
Have a great day
[/QUOTE]
I chose to collect rr tape, 8 track and vinyl (plus hardware) because of the time period (60's - 70's) . That is when music was very influential in my life . During school and military service. During my military time is when I came into contact with better equip then my portable record player with the flashing lights that moved with the music. And it stuck !
The later surround sound is great stuff when ran through good equip. Better separation I'm sure! I do have a small collection. Buy it when I find it.

New-ish member, 1st post!

I’m Tim Casey from Boston, MA. I’ve been a surround addict for decades.

I have four Oppo 105D players, which seems like a bit much, but I have a surround system in the living room, in the bedroom, and in the yard during the summer, where the neighborhood watches movies on a ginormous 16’ X 9’ screen with very nice Cerwin Vega PA speakers in a surround setup. So I’m actually using all of these players, except that one of them is a spare. Since universal players seem to be in a death spiral, I thought it wise to grab the fourth when it popped up on eBay cheap. I’ve got way too many SACDs, and my systems (emotiva UMC-200s along with 5-channel power amps) all use multichannel analog inputs, which is rare nowadays.

Thanks to you guys, I found Vocalion! I’ve bought about six discs from them so far.

I’m also a musician/engineer, and all of my stuff is mixed in surround. You can find it at lowbudgetrecords.com. We’ve done a few tribute albums in the past ten years. Last year, it was a plan album. We followed it up with a concert, and you can get a free download 4.0 FLAC of it on our website.

I have a million questions and a million opinions, but I can always get to them later. It’s good to be among fellow quadios!

- Tim

I have four Oppo 105D players, which seems like a bit much, but I have a surround system in the living room, in the bedroom, and in the yard during the summer, where the neighborhood watches movies on a ginormous 16’ X 9’ screen with very nice Cerwin Vega PA speakers in a surround setup. So I’m actually using all of these players, except that one of them is a spare. Since universal players seem to be in a death spiral, I thought it wise to grab the fourth when it popped up on eBay cheap. I’ve got way too many SACDs, and my systems (emotiva UMC-200s along with 5-channel power amps) all use multichannel analog inputs, which is rare nowadays.

Thanks to you guys, I found Vocalion! I’ve bought about six discs from them so far.

I’m also a musician/engineer, and all of my stuff is mixed in surround. You can find it at lowbudgetrecords.com. We’ve done a few tribute albums in the past ten years. Last year, it was a plan album. We followed it up with a concert, and you can get a free download 4.0 FLAC of it on our website.

I have a million questions and a million opinions, but I can always get to them later. It’s good to be among fellow quadios!

- Tim
Welcome aboard Tim Casey
Sounds like you have a great setup do jump in with your comment & Questions …………….7👍

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiya Tim :LB :LB :LB

Koooooooooo setup and can never have enough Oppos ehhh? lol

And awesome ya found the Vocalions - great company great releases. So you just found us or have you beeeeeen lurking all this time? 🤗

Either way glad you are heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere and now there is no way out!!! Muhahahahaha 🤪:dance

- Tim
IMG_2205en.jpg

Welcome Tim Casey take a load on your mind.

- Tim
Welcome Tim ! You are in great company here. A lot of musicians and engineers and just plain quad fanatics like me.

Back