What’s your FAVORITE.....TV or Monitor Brand or format these days

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I know this isn’t the right FORUM to discuss this topic but in this day and age I think it goes along with Hi-Rez & Multi-Channel sound discussions as in MHO that you CAN’T have one without the other....

So here goes my choices

I think from all the viewing I’ve done over the past few years that the LG “Wallpaper” OLED set is by far the BEST picture hands down....yes they are costly but have come way down in price in the last few years....yes we all know that there is one drawback that the OLED screens seem to have which is a slight BURN IN over time...but still not as bad as the defunct PLASMA sets

What are your opinions?

Recently I got a Sony XBR55X900F. This is an outstanding set. I am very happy with everything (..except maybe the remotes' lay-out & TV viewing angle).
Did a lot of research & read about the OLED sets from LG & Sony. Also, the QLED's from Samsung, etc. Yes, they are suppose to be better but the costs are prohibitive. (Sony OLED sets, in the same 55" size, were 2 & 3 times the price of the xbr55x900f which was $1000)
Often the benefits are not even 'real world' sort of things & can't readily be seen. I think sticking with the major brands & finding a good deal is the way to go, regardless.
Ideally, I'd have wanted one with component video inputs but that is nearly impossible to find. Everything is pretty much HDMI input.
Last year's Sony model had a component input but suppliers wanted even more than the current year models that had a more advanced video processing chip.
The audio display info from the Oppo has never looked better!

While I am impressed how far LCD has come and recently installed many 65" & 85" Sony's and 98" Planar LCD's in our facilities nothing will come close to our LG OLED's and their are very notable attributes in OLED. Black is Black and that has been a very noticeable improvement along with very wide viewing angle. No burn in issues and never had that trouble with plasma. If you can justify the cost do it. If not a name brand LCD can do

Last edited:
After a lot of research at Christmas I bought the Sony KD-55AF8 55" OLED, the 2k HD picture is fantastic, I have no 4k source or BDs (so far!), and it has excellent motion software - I can't see any artifacts. What I have noticed having had a 32" LCD is that the standard broadcast picture is irritating! The screen is used as the stereo loudspeaker, 5 actuators vibrate the screen, and there is an LF speaker in the back, sound is excellent. All OLED panels are made by LG, so its down to software. I'm really pleased with the Sony.

The bad thing about the Sony is the Android TV operating system, and the on-screen manual is cr*p, it even takes a bit of searching on-line to find out some things. In the UK apart from terrestrial DTV we also have Freesat, which although the Sony has twin satellite tuners doesn't conform to the Freesat standard, so I get the channels but just in an 'odd' way.

Often the benefits are not even 'real world' sort of things & can't readily be seen. I think sticking with the major brands & finding a good deal is the way to go, regardless.

Unfortunately I was unable to convince myself of the same. My friend kept pointing me to the 930 series, but every time I saw them in the store side by side with the same image, the difference was too much for me to ignore. I simply couldn't do it. I agree with you though that in many viewing environments, the difference may not be huge. Besides the LCDs these days have come a long way.

While I am impressed how far LCD has come and recently installed many 65" & 85" Sony's and 98" Planar LCD's in our facilities nothing will come close to our LG OLED's and their are very notable attributes in OLED. Black is Black and that has been a very noticeable improvement along with very wide viewing angle. No burn in issues and never had that trouble with plasma. If you can justify the cost do it. If not a name brand LCD can do

Headline @ Wired.com: LG'S OLED TVS ARE CHEAPER THAN WE'VE EVER SEEN THEM

LG's TVs usually hover between $1,500 and $2,000, with the occasional dip in price during major sale events like the Super Bowl and Black Friday.
Today, the price is lower than both of those events, and the lowest I can recall seeing by more than $300.

The 55" LG B8 costs $1,100 from Amazon and Walmart right now.

Last edited:
Currently LED backlit LCDs can't match an OLED in contrast performance.
Yes they're a bit brighter but their off-axis performance is horrible and it doesn't take much.
The top of the line Sony OLED can compete with LG OLED but they're twice the price and limited to the top model only.
According to the Value Electronics shootout, the Sony has slightly better color but it depends on the source.
There's much more to 4k than just raw resolution.

I would not spend a lot of money on either set if I wasn't using a 4k source for at least some of my viewing.

The burn-in thing is really no longer much of an issue and it wasn't for the later gen plasmas either.
I have a last gen Panny plasma and there is literally no burn on the panel. Just don't go on vacation with a channel that has static images and you're fine.

I just popped for a 65" OLED C8 for $1,750 out the door.
Pretty hard to beat that price\performance ratio, imo.

Last edited:
So far, I am LOVING my LG 55" Curved 3D~capable OLED TV. I should've bought the 65" model but since it's being utilized in my bedroom and I have two wall mounted B&W monitor speakers next to the screen ... space was an issue. The 3D in a word is ASTOUNDING, the black levels ..... unbelievable and I have not experienced any motion artifacts with the unit [if this year's boring super bowl was any indication].

I've had two BEHEMOTH Runco projectors, a Meridian~JVC projector, SONY TVs, 2 Panasonic Plasma Monitors and the LG OLED TV is by far my very favorite.

Now if I could ONLY find a 3D capable Projector which even comes close ..... I'd be happy.

Currently LED backlit LCDs can't match an OLED in contrast performance.
Yes they're a bit brighter but their off-axis performance is horrible and it doesn't take much.
The top of the line Sony OLED can compete with LG OLED but they're twice the price and limited to the top model only.
According to the Value Electronics shootout, the Sony has slightly better color but it depends on the source.
There's much more to 4k than just raw resolution.

I would not spend a lot of money on either set if I wasn't using a 4k source for at least some of my viewing.

The burn-in thing is really no longer much of an issue and it wasn't for the later gen plasmas either.
I have a last gen Panny plasma and there is literally no burn on the panel. Just don't go on vacation with a channel that has static images and you're fine.

I just popped for a 65" OLED C8 for $1,750 out the door.
Pretty hard to beat that price\performance ratio, imo.

That Sony victory was close and what troubles me about Sony is their tendency to not fix problems...instead of a useful firmware update they correct some of these mistakes on the next model....I have no interest in buying 4k material to watch..I learned my lesson on conventional blu ray...I bought a lot of discs that I only watched one time...I'm not going down that rabbit hole again...I'm still happy with my 65 Panasonic Plasma...I'm not trading those great black levels on OLED for that motion problem..it doesn't bother a lot of people...but it does with me... but I still am keeping my eye on the 77 OLED....

That Sony victory was close and what troubles me about Sony is their tendency to not fix problems...instead of a useful firmware update they correct some of these mistakes on the next model....I have no interest in buying 4k material to watch..I learned my lesson on conventional blu ray...I bought a lot of discs that I only watched one time...I'm not going down that rabbit hole again...I'm still happy with my 65 Panasonic Plasma...I'm not trading those great black levels on OLED for that motion problem..it doesn't bother a lot of people...but it does with me... but I still am keeping my eye on the 77 OLED....

But Clinty, if you ARE sensitive to motion artifacts, why even consider an OLED TV? As far as that rabbit hole of buying 4K discs...the same could apply to any physical discs. I have so many Surround and Stereo hi res discs in my collection in just about every conceivable format .... repeat listening can also be suspect. My rule of thumb is to pay NO more than $15 for 4K movies ..... roughly half the list price of those 40 minute MoFi/AP Stereo SACDs. And a lot of my 4K discs are $10.....1/3 the price of a Stereo SACD. In fact in the early days of $60 SHM~SACDs [I have a TON of them], I could've bought 6 UHD 4K movies when one tacks on the s/h of those SHM~SACD discs from Japan .... which I rarely play!

I've haven't seen any motion issues on the LG OLEDs I've watched at least for the NFL.
The thing about 4k is that streaming quality now is really fantastic for both A\V.
People aren't gonna like this but the quality of streaming and the availability of broad band is dooming physical media faster and faster.
Hey, if you're happy with your Panny I say keep it and wait for prices drop.

I've haven't seen any motion issues on the LG OLEDs I've watched at least for the NFL.
The thing about 4k is that streaming quality now is really fantastic for both A\V.
People aren't gonna like this but the quality of streaming and the availability of broad band is dooming physical media faster and faster.

Yes, Milt, I've likewise noticed that UHD 4K Physical discs are 'trickling' out......and a lot of the titles are plan BS! They're still UPSCALING from 2K a lot of these current UHD 4K discs...and as the Japanese vigorously pursue 8K .... seems ridiculous at this juncture!

I also (so far) have stuck with my plasmas - 60” Pioneer Kuro plasma upstairs, and my Panasonic 55” in the man cave. They both still have terrific picture quality, and they double as room heaters during the winter. I have been looking at OLED a lot, and may switch one day soon. I especially like the ones that are nearly as thin as wallpaper.

I'd like to update my previous response......

Last week I saw a side by side comparison of the LG vs Sony OLED and the Sony won out!!! Much better picture quality for about $300 more!! Even though the screens are all made by LG, I guess the power engine or whatever of the Sony is more powerful and the contrast is much better IMHO

I also (so far) have stuck with my plasmas - 60” Pioneer Kuro plasma upstairs, and my Panasonic 55” in the man cave. They both sill have terrific picture quality, and they double as room heaters during the winter. I have been looking at OLED a lot, and may switch one day soon. I especially like the ones that are nearly as thin as wallpaper.
Don't either of you have any problems with Burn In? We did with both Panasonic's my ex and I had but we also watched CNN lots and their logo or bottom scroll you could see faintly on the screen at all times. How do/did you prevent this or did you also have that problem?

Don't either of you have any problems with Burn In? We did with both Panasonic's my ex and I had but we also watched CNN lots and their logo or bottom scroll you could see faintly on the screen at all times. How do/did you prevent this or did you also have that problem?

At the time I purchased plasmas... I was a member of several video forums....there was a calibrator(D-Nice)who devised a "break in" procedure...the simple answer is that it made sure the pixels received equal useage when you first used your panel...the procedure was actually devised to precede a calibration...not really prevent IR(image retention)but most used it to "break in" their panels....the easy common sense approach is when you first use a panel...avoid static images and view things in FULL SCREEN for the first several weeks....plasmas evolved from those early models and became much more resistant....but those "banners" like CNN or ESPN could present problems with a new TV if you viewed them from the very first days without "breaking in" the display...

I'd like to update my previous response......

Last week I saw a side by side comparison of the LG vs Sony OLED and the Sony won out!!! Much better picture quality for about $300 more!! Even though the screens are all made by LG, I guess the power engine or whatever of the Sony is more powerful and the contrast is much better IMHO

Where did you see these displays? If it was in a retail display(commercial store) the sets were probably in "torch mode"(exaggerated contrast)and they are probably being fed a "loop" designed by the manufacturer...you really can't get an accurate opinion of these sets in a retail environment....especially with the lighting in a commercial space....

One of the problems many people have...like myself...is a poor internet source...and I have no options where I live...I would have to move...I can't stream anything for a sustained period...it's adequate to surf the net and do most things...with the exception of streaming...and yes it's speeding up the end of physical media...plus the millennials don't care much about quality...they want convenience...they are happy to watch movies on tiny screens with portable devices....

Back