What are the rarest NON-Sony 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek: i thought i was the Heads Up king but i just handed my SACD crown to vegas... to vegas... to VEEEEEEGAAAAASSSSSSS...!!!!!! :rocks:ROFLMAO::QQlove
(i'm gonna get me on that there internet and order that there yellowjackets record asap if not sooner! :p )
i appreciate vegas' "heads up"! it was one of the few surround sacds on the Heads Up imprint i knew i didn't have but it somehow slipped between the cracks, like a few of the Concords & Telarcs.. anyhoo, crisis averted, just bought Time Squared on Amazon UK for £16 squids and change.

Damn, that was fast! :eek: I was a SACD KING for a 10 minutes.:ROFLMAO: But seriosly, Adam, I'm really proud that I made a small contribution to your collection.:)
By the way, what can you say about two Heads Up titles: Doc Powell and Najee? Are they worth to add to collection?

Damn, that was fast! :eek: I was a SACD KING for a 10 minutes.:ROFLMAO: But seriosly, Adam, I'm really proud that I made a small contribution to your collection.:)
By the way, what can you say about two Heads Up titles: Doc Powell and Najee? Are they worth to add to collection?

good question! :cool:
i haven't played those two for a while, i will give them a spin this week and get back to you (y)

Manze - Podger "J.S. Bach Solo & Double Violin Concertos Mutichannel Hybrid. Harmonia Mundi HMU 807155.

I had to order it through L'Atelier Grigorian in Toronto back in the day.

js.jpg

Peter Gabriel "UP" Multichannel Hybrid. Geffen 493536.

View attachment 35727

Why couldn't ALL of Peter Gabriel's albums been released in surround? His music certainly begs for the 5.1 treatment. Since the entire Genesis catalogue received 5.1 releases, surprised he didn't remix his entire solo catalogue into 5.1 as well.

The Who "Tommy - Deluxe Edition" Multichannel Hybrid. MCA B0001386-36 (2 disc).

I once passed a 'Special' bin at Best Buy a long time ago that contained 10 or 12 copies of this and 5 or 6 copies of the Deluxe Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD marked down to $9.99. I should have scooped them all to save them from the cruncher.

tom.jpg

There is also a Nektar Live In New York which I think is the rarest of the Nektar SACD

there is indeed and it is on my shopping list!
however i am waiting til one comes up super cheap (which hasn't happened in the last however many years) since it anecdotally sounds like a load of old tripe being sieved through a sock, so would purely be for the collection rather than for playing! :ROFLMAO:

another little random non-Sony 5.1 batch of MCh SACDs, with a few real rarities (and one lil' weirdo from Marillion that may become a collectible of the future.. or may not! ;) ) here we have the only Prism SACD from Japan to feature a surround mix (all the others are Stereo, some cool Fusion, not bad as i recall), the Le Premier Cri OST SACD box from France (underwhelming surround iirc but musically enjoyable), a Concord 2-disc release in digipak of Chick Corea Live in NY, the only Eleanor McEvoy MultiCh SACD (even though the sticker says its Stereo! a decent mix) and Elisa's Lotus SACD + DVD package (one I've been hunting for for many years and found only recently!) hooray! :QQlove

xNzS9aK.jpeg

fWqVS6Z.jpeg

Last edited:

just revisited the Doc Powell and you’ve done me a favour, i don’t know why i haven’t played it in years, it is fabulous! i love the surround mix (percussion, backing vocals, guitar parts and other goodies all get panned back in the rear channels) and some of the arrangements and musicianship are superb. top recommendation.

ps. bass fiends will love it! the low end is to die for :love:

also, the Najee is really nice in surround too.

a somewhat airier/breathier/lighter recording and mix than the Doc Powell, though its no less active in surround terms, with bongo's a-go-go in the rear channels from word go-go, sumptuous warm vocals and all manner of bom-chick-a-wow (baby making! oww.. :love: bay-bee.. you get the picture!!) guitar and delectable keys plucking and tinkling away throughout, its.. delightful!

it takes me back, to a point in time before I went all out on old Quad stuff, when I had exhausted all my usual (i.e. more well-known to me) artists' 5.1 surround offerings and was discovering lots of lovely new music in great surround sound (on a sometimes daily basis!) hoovering up just these kinds of "Heads Up" discs. ahh.. happy days! its great to revisit this stuff, really enjoyed it, thanks for the nudge vegas! (y)

Back