What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amanda Marshall "Everybody's Got A Story" Multichannel Non-Hybrid. Columbia CS 86316.
marsh.jpg

Reactions: e28
I got it at a decent price off eBay last year (less than 40, if I recall correctly). The only exposure I had to her was in the Spiderman 1 movie, where the Green Goblin interrupts her live concert . . . was pleasantly surprised by the discrete mix! At one time she's doing a duet on one side of the room with someone on the other side, and her husky voice is a laid-back listen.

Been looking for this one at a reasonable price for quite some time...

R-8014481-1453558760-5833.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Wherehouse chain in Los Angeles had a big blowout of DTS and SACD around 1999, much earlier than the one being mentioned up thread. Prices were $8.99 to $12.99. MFSL gold discs were also in the bins, all of them were $14.99

I grabbed a bunch of them, and maybe made some wrong choices so far as what would be rare later. Passed on Toys in the Attic, but grabbed

SACD
Tapestry
Blow by Blow
The Stranger

DTS
Marvin Gaye
Belinda
Ohio Players - Fire

MFSL
Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall (stunning sounding, but no M/C)

I have the usual suspects, Aerosmith, all the JT's, Tapestry and few others. I purchased most of them while they were still available from the Sony Website in a buy 2 get one free sale, but recently picked this "Tierney Sutton" in a thrift. The "Mary Mary" came from a member here if I remember correctly. I don't know anything about these.
20180928_103159.jpg
20180928_100735.jpg
20180928_112434.jpg

Last edited:
I had mailed a Mary Mary disc and artwork to someone here at QQ gratis. I kept the case and slip.

I do not recall if it was you TVB.

I agree, I've been hunting for that one for quite a few years!

What really pissed me off is when a few years ago SONY announced a rather aggressive BD~A launch....even listed titles......and never released any of them! What would it take for them to repress a few thousand of those OOP RARE mch titles?

Ditto for Warner Brothers: announced THEIR BD~A launch and then NOTHING. Probably both were canceled following Universal's failed BD~A launch.

Last edited:
I decided to list them as I was trying to figure out which ones I had!

HARD TO GET MULTI-CHANNEL SACDs & Hybrid-SACDs

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic, Columbia CH 57362
Alice In Chains - Greatest Hits, Columbia CS 85922
Battiato ‎- Last Summer Dance
Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills CS 65784
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune, Columbia CS 85479
Chris Botti - Night Sessions, Columbia CS 85753
David Bowie - Heathen
- Reality, Columbia CH 90752
James Carter - Gardenias For Lady Day, Columbia CH 89032.
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison, Columbia CS 165955.
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Time* Sex* Love*, Columbia CS 85176
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
- In A Silent Way (Original release)
Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come, EPIC ES 86400
Duran Duran - Astronaut
Earth, Wind & Fire – Gratitude
Gloria Estefan - Greatest Hits, EPIC ES 86729.
Five For Fighting - American Town
Frankie Goes To Hollywood ‎- Rage Hard
Macy Gray - The Trouble With Being Myself
Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart
Keb' Mo' - Just Like You, EPIC ES 67316
Manowar - Warriers Of The World
Amanda Marshall - Everybody's Got A Story, Columbia CS 86316.
Mary Mary – Incredible, Columbia CS 85690.
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell, EPIC ES 62171
E. Power Biggs - Johan Sebastian Bach
Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music, EPIC ES 86294
Scorpions - Moment of Glory
Tierney Sutton - Something Cool, Telarc SACD-63548
James Taylor - JT
- Flag, Columbia CH 90749
- Hourglass
Toto - Toto IV (not all are 5.1)
Various - A Chorus Line, Columbia CS 65282
- The Concert For New York City (2 disc), C2S 86270. .
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller
Peter White – Glow, Columbia CS 85212.

Going Europe, this is the one i had the hardest time to track it down *when they released* (2003), took several month and some extra push to the record distributor to get it:

R-10915910-1506538178-2089.jpeg.jpg

Here's the full discogs entry

https://www.discogs.com/Battiato-Last-Summer-Dance/release/10915910

Never seen another one in the wild, had been bribed several times to sell mine, currently it goes on fleabay - when there's someone that want sell it - for 500 euro as starting point.

AFAIK think the entire run of the early SACD which you're referring to is quite rare
I was still living in Italy at the time, and wasn't even aware this SACD existed! I don't know how I could miss it, considering that this is a great live album and that I'm a completist when we talk about Franco Battiato.
AFAIK, this is the only surround release from his discography (obviously excluding the DVD-V releases). It's not a discrete mix, but much better sounding that the 2xCD.
Out of curiosity, how did you find out about this SACD at the time? It wasn't advertised at all...

Back