What are the rarest Sony (US) 5.1 SACDs from the 2000-2008 era

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Let's make a list of the most difficult to find, highest current eBay prices, of original SONY Multichannel SACD's from the "Golden Age of SACD" when you could go into a store and buy them (along with DVD-A's and CD's).

Everyone knows about the Isley Brothers and O'Jays, but let's get it down in this thread. Scans welcome. Let's show everyone your rare SONY SACD's from the US (or Europe). Please, let's not do Far East, as those things pop up from time to time and are not really from the era I'm looking for.

If you have them, a scan would be great, but if you can do a scan or a picture, list the pressing number and the type (Hybrid or not)

Thanks

Last edited:
What prompted me to ask is that the first one I thought of was Aerosmith 'Rocks', then I remembered it's stereo only....

Yup. A total missed opportunity. What were they thinking. They did Toys in the Attic for crying out loud. Would it have killed them to do the other 2 in 4.0 SACD?

I'd love to know the answer to why they pulled it back, as well as why they didn't do it the way they did for Toys. The ideal situation for me would be if Analogue Productions would do all three of them with K. Gray or S. Hoffman doing the mastering.

Great thread!

I still haven't found physical copies of either the O'Jays or the Isleys :(

A few from my collection that were hard to get:
  • Weather Report- Mysterious Traveller (eBay, Discogs)
  • Aerosmith- Toys In The Attic (eBay, Discogs)
  • The James Taylors- specifically JT & Hourglass (various JT discs on eBay, JT Discogs, Hourglass Discogs)
  • Toto- Toto IV (Be really careful with this one, not all are 5.1) (eBay, Discogs)
  • Big Brother & The Holding Company- Cheap Thrills (eBay, Discogs)
  • Earth, Wind & Fire- Gratitude (eBay, Discogs)
  • Five For Fighting- American Town (couldn't find any currently listed- FWIW I snagged one for like $25 at the Amazon Marketplace)
  • Mary Chapin Carpenter- Time Sex Love (eBay, Discogs)
  • Joe Satriani- Strange Beautiful Music (eBay, Discogs)
  • Chorus Line Original Broadway Cast (this one seems to have dropped a lot eBay, Discogs)
There are quite a few that were at one time rare but have since been reissued. Stuff like the Billy Joel's, Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow, Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters, Carole King's Tapestry, and Dave Brubeck's Time Out.

Others I'm still looking for:
  • Blue Oyster Cult- Agents Of Fortune (eBay, Discogs)
  • Johnny Cash- At Folsom Prison
  • Jorma Kaukonen- Blue Country Heart
  • Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue & In A Silent Way (I'm aware IASW has been reissued)
  • David Bowie- Heathen & Reality (various surround and stereo Bowies eBay)
  • Duran Duran- Astronaut (this one in particular is insanely rare- just get the DD dualdisc) (eBay, Discogs)
  • Meat Loaf- Bat Out Of Hell
Yup. A total missed opportunity. What were they thinking. They did Toys in the Attic for crying out loud. Would it have killed them to do the other 2 in 4.0 SACD?

(y)(y)(y)

Rocks is one of my all-time favorite quads. Just an absolutely mind-blowing discrete rock mix. And the new mix of Toys In The Attic, while not bad, is inferior to the old quad mix IMO.

**in the process of updating with some current price listings

Last edited:
Going Europe, this is the one i had the hardest time to track it down *when they released* (2003), took several month and some extra push to the record distributor to get it:

R-10915910-1506538178-2089.jpeg.jpg

Here's the full discogs entry

https://www.discogs.com/Battiato-Last-Summer-Dance/release/10915910

Never seen another one in the wild, had been bribed several times to sell mine, currently it goes on fleabay - when there's someone that want sell it - for 500 euro as starting point.

AFAIK think the entire run of the early SACD which you're referring to is quite rare

I refuse to pay more than $20-30 except in extreme circumstances, and it's served me pretty well, so I don't follow the super rare stuff much. When J&R Music began its death throes about 4 years ago they put out bins of returned CDs from their warehouse and I scored 20-30 of the single-layer Sony discs for $4 apiece (I'm assuming they were mostly purchased out of confusion and people angrily returned them). There were a bunch of rare MCH discs among them, including Amanda Marshall and Bernstein's recording of the Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony (for which the cheapest Amazon price is now $150, which is probably way above where the demand lies).

Yup. A total missed opportunity. What were they thinking [releasing ROCKS in STEREO]. They did Toys in the Attic for crying out loud. Would it have killed them to do the other 2 in 4.0 SACD?

SONY was probably trying to appease purchasers of their flagship SCD~1 player which was STEREO only before they switched to multichannel to compete with DVD~A.

Really wonder if SONY/Aereosmith will allow Dutton Vocalion to re~release ROCKS in multichannel? That WOULD be quite the coup.

Really wonder if SONY/Aereosmith will allow Dutton Vocalion to re~release ROCKS in multichannel? That WOULD be quite the coup.

As far as I’m concerned that would be the ULTIMATE quad reissue. One of my favorite albums and perhaps my favorite quad mix ever (and I’ve heard a lot of ‘em).

I have the BAT OUT OF HELL. Not familiar with the original album, apart from what I had heard over the radio back in the day -- and I only bought it because I once worked with Meatloaf on a movie (long story).

Multi-wise, it's about like TOYS IN THE ATTIC, with the bombastic music sort of drowning out discreetness. I know people with the original album disdain it for lacking certain things in the mix as opposed to the original, but hey, doesn't bother me :rolleyes:

My digital surround collection commenced with DVD~A as I made a major investment in Meridian's 800 Reference DVD~A player and preferred it over what SONY had to offer at the time [their 'flagship' SCD~1 STEREO player] but when I started to note that SONY was subsequently committed to multichannel ........ I figured, why NOT ... but did miss an opportunity to buy a of their early SACD mch titles. When SONY announced they were ceasing SACD disc production they did offer many [but not ALL] of their titles at a substantial discount from one of their own websites so I did add quite a few titles at that time to my collection. While I was posting over at SACD~net [now HRAudio.net], I was able to purchase a lot of obscure titles before they commanded huge premiums on eBay and the Frankie Goes to Hollywood was one of those titles [great album, btw, if you like Frankie].

My problem is one of organization.........I have so many DVD~As and SACDs [among them a ton of classical mch discs] that I sometimes lose track of what I have and thus do have duplicates of some, but for the most part I really don't miss what I don't have and refuse to spend big bucks on OOP titles as the majors are currently remastering a lot of brilliant titles in 5.1 and Dutton Vocalion is stepping up their QUAD SACD releases at a fraction of what these ridiculously priced OOP titles are commanding on the internet.

It will be interesting to see what Dutton Vocalion's future QUAD releases are and don't be surprised if they do reissue some of the OOP SONY titles.

Jon I have a few I would be happy to take a picture or scan of. What is the maximum picture pixel dimensions I can upload for clarity and file size ?

Back