What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll take a listen today in Atmos 7.1.4 and give feedback

I had a short listening session today. There’s not that much activity in the rears on that R.E.M. Atmos album but there’s a lot of discrete sound in the overhead speakers. I turned off the main 5.1 speakers to listen to the ceilings and rears. On the first track there was acoustic guitar only (nothing else) in the front left ceiling speaker. No voice or any other bleed.

Overall it was a pleasing experience but it was only a few samples from 4 or 5 tracks from the album.

I’ll spend more time tomorrow.

I had a short listening session today. There’s not that much activity in the rears on that R.E.M. Atmos album but there’s a lot of discrete sound in the overhead speakers. I turned off the main 5.1 speakers to listen to the ceilings and rears. On the first track there was acoustic guitar only (nothing else) in the front left ceiling speaker. No voice or any other bleed.
I just did a thorough comparison of the Atmos mix and the old DVD-A mix last night and came away with same feeling: a lot of discrete instruments localized to that front left ceiling speaker. Very little in the surrounds. I've only had an Atmos system for about 3 months so maybe I'm still getting used to it, but I prefer more active use of the surrounds.

I just did a thorough comparison of the Atmos mix and the old DVD-A mix last night and came away with same feeling: a lot of discrete instruments localized to that front left ceiling speaker. Very little in the surrounds. I've only had an Atmos system for about 3 months so maybe I'm still getting used to it, but I prefer more active use of the surrounds.
I agree. I've read where others agree about little rear activity, and quite a bit in the front overheads (that's how mine is setup; 5.2) I am in the process of building some speaker stands for the front L & R and get them lowered down a little. I have a slanted roof and couldn't get the front high speakers where I would have liked.

Toto - 35th Anniversary Live In Poland 🇵🇱

1563588922452.jpeg

Metallica Francais Pour Une Nuit Blu-ray Disc DTS-HD MA 5.1 48: true mostly the crowd in the surrounds still good fun. Video quality is quite good at roughly 6 feet from my old HD 1080i display but it's optimum distance.

Last edited:
I've been running down whatever Schiller & Tangerine Dream DVD's/BD's I can find. I was only recently a fan of both and was especially impressed to see the vast amount of work TD has turned out. As is often the case, I actually came to these Artists by postings here at QQ.
Anyway, yesterday's concert was the 35th Anniversary of Phaedra Live at Shepherd's Bush DVDV.
This one made me aware of the younger Froese (Jerome Froese) chops on the guitar as well as his keyboard duties.

The Doobie Brothers - Live From The Beacon Theater

242990_large.jpg

Filmed in November 2018, they performed Toulouse Street and Captain & Me in their entirety, plus an encore. I expected a tired, serviceable performance by a bunch of no-name stand-ins, but most of the performers are either the original guys, or long time cohorts, and the concert is wildly exciting and energetic. While it is just standard live concert surround fare, the front soundstage is very wide and full with a bit of spill-around, nice bass, dynamics, and really great fidelity. I am quite pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this is!

242990_large.jpg

Filmed in November 2018, they performed Toulouse Street and Captain & Me in their entirety, plus an encore. I expected a tired, serviceable performance by a bunch of no-name stand-ins, but most of the performers are either the original guys, or long time cohorts, and the concert is wildly exciting and energetic. While it is just standard live concert surround fare, the front soundstage is very wide and full with a bit of spill-around, nice bass, dynamics, and really great fidelity. I am quite pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this is!
I could not agree more. These guys after all these years really enjoy what they do. No lackluster phone-it-in performance from these guys.

242990_large.jpg

Very produced sonically and I think the vocals were autotuned but enjoyable. White Sun was really good.

DVDV of Tangerine Dream - Rocking Out The Bats - Live at the Citadel Spandau.
This was I think released in 2009 but it's one of my favorites. I'm really just getting started good in TD but I've accumulated a number of DVD's, all in either DD or DTS 5.1. All are good. There is something very infectious about Iris Camaa and the way she smiles while banging on the tom toms, lol. She just always always seems to be having a good time.
The song I enjoy the most is "Sally's Garden".
Also on this DVD I finally got to hear the elder Froese play both electric and acoustic guitars. I could see he was having a rough time with the acoustic...something I myself had to give up some years ago because the old fingers don't bend.
Although I like "Phaedra", etc, I find this album to be more accessible to a newer, "old" fan.

Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted; DVD Stereo
As much as I love Steven Wilson's solo career and associated concert films, I really miss Porcupine Tree. This 2CD/1DVD package is a must have for PT fans. The DVD was filmed in Chicago in 2010 and features the Porc performing The Incident in its entirety. Even though it's only a Dolby Stereo DVD, it looks and sounds fantastic. This was basically the end of Porcupine Tree and they kill the performance. Would love to see Steven back with Barbeiri, Edwin, Harrison, and Wesley again someday, although I know that's probably never going to happen!

Back