What Do You Think The Next Rhino Quadio Title Will Be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. It was the quad blu-ray that pursuaded me to buy this one.

This would be an interesting set to know the sales figures on. IIRC, you could get just the 2 CDs for about $13 or the edition with the quad BD for $18.

Two important points here:

1) since there was no reason to buy the BD edition unless you wanted the quad, it would be interesting to know how many they sold.

2) since they were throwing in the quad BD for an extra 5 bucks, it doesn't really bode all that well for the argument that it's SO expensive to produce these things. (I know, not every album and every band is the same)

The problem is that the people testing have no clue about surround or what they're supposed to test. I can tell you for a fact that there were at least 2 AF releases that Marshall sent me preview SACD's of that had the channels wrong. One was a very big title that was about to go to press. He told me that I reported it to him at the last moment, which was the minute I heard it. Luckily I had wav files from my reels to compare to the SACD and that saved a lot of time, money and goodwill by not having that album pressed with the channels 90 degrees out of place. The internal problem was that the engineers or mastering folks had no clue what it was supposed to sound like. It was 4 channels, and that's all they knew!...
I think that when a problem arises like the Sly Hits SACD issue, the person who blew it should forfeit their mastering or authoring fee. Yes, not get paid because the job was completed incorrectly. Yes, so a Guy, Kevin, or Steve simply pays the label back their fee and start over again to correct it (if they are not let go right there and then). Of course the reason given for the odd channel offset sounded bogus to me. They just could not name the person involved who's fault it was and I can understand that. Then the repress was also affected - same thing. That might have been the plant's fault for not using the new master sent to them.

But anyway, there are only so many times a label can screw something up before it does their reputation in.

I wonder if the fact that the stereo tracks got screwed up on a few of the Chicago discs and Rhino had to go through the trouble and cost of creating and sending out replacements caused the bean counters to pull out the "it's not worth it" hat with regard to multiple new titles.
An interesting thing Rhino did in regards to the Chicago debacle. When they knew that they were in for replacement discs, they were also noticing that the run was nearing sell-out. Not sold out but going to be in a while. So they ordered up a new batch with corrections, and ordered replacement discs at the same time as the full sets were being redone. This saved them some of the cost of repressing and replacing those defects.

Last edited:
This is not factual, just a hypothesis:

QuadGuy: I would like to see us release some quad titles
VP of Beans: Why. No one buys that stuff
QuadGuy: I think you would be surprised. There's a demand in some circles
VP of Beans: How do you know
QuadGuy: Rumblings on the internet
VP of Beans: That doesn't mean anything
QuadGuy: Blankity-Blank sold quite a few surround titles last year
VP of Beans: Did they make any money
QuadGuy: I am sure they did, they sold out of a lot of titles
VP of Beans: Well, if you want to try it, it will be on you
QuadGuy: Great. Let's do it.
-----------------------------------
QuadGuy: Um, that quad release got out with a pressing error
VP of Beans: What? How did that happen?
QuadGuy: We missed it in the manufacturing
VP of Beans: What's it going to cost us
QuadGuy: We'll have to remake and repress the discs
VP of Beans: Wonderful. This is on your ass, QuadGuy
QuadGuy: But the title was selling quite well
VP of Beans: Fine.
QuadGuy: Now what about the next release?
VP of Beans: Next release? The next release is going to be YOU from your job!
:LOL:

See every other time we are waiting patiently for something to arrive and it’s delayed and delayed again, and it looks gloomy - something else arrives just in time to cheer folks up, or cheer me up anyway.

A hidden Floyd 5.1 of Meddle comes out of nowhere. D/V rescues a (stunning) quad Return to Forever from the rejection pile of another label. Even Sgt. Pepper was not all bad. Or an indie release of U.K. or Bill Bruford, or Chris Squire in newly mixed 5.1. Or a long ago performed mix of Roxy by Steven Wilson finally drops.

We are right now at a standstill and without that surprise release I’ve come to expect from the unexpected. I can’t think of any one single title that is on the verge of shipping.

Just a bunch of mystery at the moment so far as high profile releases.

I guess we need to think about Abbey Road’s 50th and the wonderful surround mix we should expect this fall. Oh and Animals from Floyd which should be here any year now.

Oh I know what I was going to say but forgot to mention. Sony Japan are overdue for a nice new quadraphonic SACD in their 7” series.

I think it’s time for a Santana or Edgar Winter Group to be reissued in a nice but high price special package. If no one else can scrape up the licensing cash for one of these two evergreens - for the next installment. This might be what it takes to lift us out of our doldrums. I know I’d be excited enough to forget about whatever else I was thinking about for a few weeks maybe.

Anyone heard any rumblings on the eastern front?

After many false starts and high hopes, there is still no word on this one way or the other, which is somehow troubling. We need some words one way or the other from ForagingRhino or someone else at the company.

Jon, Rhino/Warner is too busy readying the 50th Anniversary 'mid~fi' 38 RBCD box set of Woodstock '69 ...... and as I said to a fellow poster via a PM, Rhino could have instead released 38 QUAD reissues from their vaults in probably the same amount of time this Woodstock extravaganza took to assemble!

How 'bout a QUADSTOCK '19?

See the source image

Dear Mr. Foraging Rhino .......

Last edited:
Guys it doesn't look good theres been nothing in quad since the bluray best of doors single...a 2017 release...were now in 2019 . nothing for 2018 ??? am i wrong on this???

I honestly think we already have the answer.....the silence is deafening...if this was AP or Mofi I would hold some hope out....but I've never seen Rhino drag out a project this long....you've been the most optimistic voice among us but I think you are having doubts....the irony is I think you might have already given us the answer in one of your posts when you were joking around....or maybe you weren't....you played the devil's advocate and used a hypothetical conversation from a "suit" at Rhino mentioning the headaches and costs associated with having to issue correction discs for the Chicago set....which resonated with me....because those are the type of things that bean counters at these companies use to kill projects and perhaps some problems with the source material also contributed to shelving the project...

At this point I can't see this happening....just my opinion...

Or like the Chicago Quadio boxset [TOTALLY out of left field save for their induction into the R & R Hall of Fame] or the Doors BD~A 4.0 release .... it will magically appear out of nowhere.

I really don't think the defective Chicago Quadio disc had anything to do with Rhino's decision NOT to reissue any more QUAD discs ..... the DOORS did come out after that minor fiasco ......and we did get the Fleetwood Mac box sets as well...even though TANGO IN THE NIGHT did NOT include a 5.1 remix.......

RHINO seems to have a mind of its own and over the years they do 'dangle' occasional Surround surprises our way .....but we have to face facts: SURROUND REISSUES are NOT their priorities and we still have no idea how well their SURROUND projects sell.

An alliance with UK's Dutton Vocalion would be fortuitous but seems unlikely at this juncture. Way too much RED TAPE.

All we can do is hope that foragingRhino's 'hint' that the Doobies Quadio box set will one day be released wasn't vaporware .......... so let's not give up hope .... entirely!

Honestly, I'm still pinching myself that they got the Chicago set out. As happy as I'd be with a matching Doobies set, those four albums were released on reel (plus the awesome 5.1 mix of Captain on DVD-A) and there are some excellent conversions of those floating around. Even the CD-4s aren't bad. Compare that with the nine Chicago albums released only on SQ and Q8.

So if it does come to pass, awesome. Sign me up! But if it doesn't, I wouldn't be too crushed. I felt the same way when Sony Japan cancelled their Multichannel SACD of Bridge Over Troubled Water, as there's already a high quality copy of the quad mix out there.

Honestly, I'm still pinching myself that they got the Chicago set out. As happy as I'd be with a matching Doobies set, those four albums were released on reel (plus the awesome 5.1 mix of Captain on DVD-A) and there are some excellent conversions of those floating around. Even the CD-4s aren't bad. Compare that with the nine Chicago albums released only on SQ and Q8.

So if it does come to pass, awesome. Sign me up! But if it doesn't, I wouldn't be too crushed. I felt the same way when Sony Japan cancelled their Multichannel SACD of Bridge Over Troubled Water, as there's already a high quality copy of the quad mix out there.

It's ALL well and good that 'conversions' are floating around but IMO, the REAL DEAL are the QUAD masters which are usually 15 ips. Those conversions might satisfy the small segment that own them but I'm sure either SONY Japan QUAD SACDs or those emanating from D~V would be MUCH MORE PREFERABLE!

Spot on...for that Chicago set to be released still amazes me...not an easy sell to embark on a project like that...I can't think of a better overall set and coverage of a band in surround...just amazing..

It's ALL well and good that 'conversions' are floating around but IMO, the REAL DEAL are the QUAD masters which are usually 15 ips. Those conversions might satisfy the small segment that own them but I'm sure either SONY Japan QUAD SACDs or those emanating from D~V would be MUCH MORE PREFERABLE!
I think it’s a case by case thing, with some consumer level Q4 conversions to 4-Chan pcm approaching professional level label released product. I could list a half dozen or more that indeed do sound that great. While others are fun, an improvement over Q8 any day of the year, but do not reach pro level.

What is going to take the consumer Q4 transfer to the next level is the Plangent Process. Now being used on old analogue tapes by some major artists Springsteen (late remasters) and Grateful Dead (Betty Boards), etc. this process records the analogue signal to 24/192kHz, and finds any wow or flutter or speed variations- and digitally irons out those flaws even if they were introduced on an earlier generation of the tapes. Bright end gets the sharpness back 100%, making it seem like a generation or two of tape noise and flutter has been eliminated.

So this professional application is not too far away from being accessible to the quad excavator / restoration / converter at home.

It might even make a Q8 more salvageable, and bring out some sharpness to those hissy slow moving reels.

Anyway, I think in some cases (hopefully not too many), the consumer Q4 is the best we will ever see on the market for a given title. Sad as that sounds, it’s still a lot better than nothing, and with Plangent coming online, I’m kind of ecstatic to know that my favorite Q4s are going to get a remaster in the coming years that will sound remarkably improved.

Back