• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

What's the BEST Dylan SACD 5.1 track for Surround?

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually have that demo SACD and totally forgot all about it. I Oppo-Ripped the 5 SACDs from the box, and later this week will do the demo/sampler. I should be able to make a few good discs to give to my friend who just got a 2018 Acura RDX, as they are practically giving them away with the 19's coming and he could not pass up the deal. I can't wait to give him a few DTS CDs to open his eyes, so to speak, to surround sound in the car.

That's why I wanted the first disc to be on the spectacular side... :eek:

CPR

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Simple: "Blood on the Tracks" Amazing content & great 5.1 SACD surround
too many great cuts, to single out just one
2nd choice is Blonde on Blonde
3rd choice is Infidels
4th choice is Desire

markshan

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Jon, you could just hand your buddy a copy of the above. 33 minutes of quality surround Bobness.
A true sampler from multiple years and albums.

I'd forgotten how much of it is rare and unreleased.
Gotta Serve Somebody is another great Dylan surround track found nowhere else AFAIK.
Slow Train Coming had a surround issue. I have it.

Edit: I see three people beat me to it.

Larry Geller

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Jon, you could just hand your buddy a copy of the above. 33 minutes of quality surround Bobness.
A true sampler from multiple years and albums.

I'd forgotten how much of it is rare and unreleased.
Gotta Serve Somebody is another great Dylan surround track found nowhere else AFAIK.
It's on the SACD of Slow Train Coming. The only surround rarity on there is the live Cold
Irons Bound (which sounds great).

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of your responses. On the disc I made for him I put "Tangled Up in Blue". However, since I made that disc for him, I Oppo'd "Slow Train Coming" and put up "Gotta Serve Somebody" on the PC and DTS'd it for DTS-CD. This is an excellent surround mix. While I have always advocated the background singers being in the back speakers, in the car this mix sounds incredible, as the background singers are in the front speakers, but solo in the center speaker. When I converted the SACD rip to wav and then DTS, I boosted the center channel as it appeared a bit low in the wave forms, and WOW, listening in the car it's so cool to have those response vocals from the choir coming from the center of the dash!! Since Bob's not in the center, it's a quite stunning listen.

CPR

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Hey Jon; I have an Oppo BDP 95, but have no clue how to create DTS discs; my new Acura A-SPEC would LOVE some new tunes
Know anyone that makes them; I'd gladly compensate, appropriately!
IM me if you know anyone
thx!

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Hey Jon; I have an Oppo BDP 95, but have no clue how to create DTS discs; my new Acura A-SPEC would LOVE some new tunes
Know anyone that makes them; I'd gladly compensate, appropriately!
IM me if you know anyone
thx!
Depends on what type of disc you're working from...if it's computer readable (DVD-A/V, SACD), you can run it through this handy program called DVD-Audio Extractor that'll convert it to a DTS-CD image.

SACD requires a little more work- You can either do an analog capture of output of your player (requires a 6 channel soundcard), or use an Oppo or PS3 with custom firmware to rip the disc.

salsdali

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Don't forget the DualDisc: Is it Rolling Bob?: A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan. Very decent surround.

Lots of good Dub versions on there and Track 5. Gotta Serve Somebody Remix by Drummie Zeb, Nasio*, The Razor Posseo is pretty good.

CPR

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Depends on what type of disc you're working from...if it's computer readable (DVD-A/V, SACD), you can run it through this handy program called DVD-Audio Extractor that'll convert it to a DTS-CD image.

SACD requires a little more work- You can either do an analog capture of output of your player (requires a 6 channel soundcard), or use an Oppo or PS3 with custom firmware to rip the disc.
Way too complicated for me; I need someone to burn DTS CD's, from DVD Audio, SACD 5.1, or Blu-Ray Audio 5.1
If you know anyone I can trust, I'll be glad to pay them

MikeZ

Reaction score
Just received this rendering of Blood On The Tracks the other day ( SH.tv forum member's price too good to pass up), and it was the funniest thing. I was sitting here thinking " oh, okay, a subtle 5.1 mix...alright. " Turns out I was sitting forward, typing, like I am right now. When I sat back to rest my back, I went " oh ! Okay ! " My rears are positioned fine, it's me that has to stay in the sweet spot. :geek: