What's the BEST Dylan SACD 5.1 track for Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I actually have that demo SACD and totally forgot all about it. I Oppo-Ripped the 5 SACDs from the box, and later this week will do the demo/sampler. I should be able to make a few good discs to give to my friend who just got a 2018 Acura RDX, as they are practically giving them away with the 19's coming and he could not pass up the deal. I can't wait to give him a few DTS CDs to open his eyes, so to speak, to surround sound in the car.

That's why I wanted the first disc to be on the spectacular side... :eek:

Simple: "Blood on the Tracks" Amazing content & great 5.1 SACD surround
too many great cuts, to single out just one
2nd choice is Blonde on Blonde
3rd choice is Infidels
4th choice is Desire

Jon, you could just hand your buddy a copy of the above. 33 minutes of quality surround Bobness.
A true sampler from multiple years and albums.

I'd forgotten how much of it is rare and unreleased.
Gotta Serve Somebody is another great Dylan surround track found nowhere else AFAIK.
Slow Train Coming had a surround issue. I have it.

Edit: I see three people beat me to it.

Jon, you could just hand your buddy a copy of the above. 33 minutes of quality surround Bobness.
A true sampler from multiple years and albums.

I'd forgotten how much of it is rare and unreleased.
Gotta Serve Somebody is another great Dylan surround track found nowhere else AFAIK.
It's on the SACD of Slow Train Coming. The only surround rarity on there is the live Cold
Irons Bound (which sounds great).

Thanks again for all of your responses. On the disc I made for him I put "Tangled Up in Blue". However, since I made that disc for him, I Oppo'd "Slow Train Coming" and put up "Gotta Serve Somebody" on the PC and DTS'd it for DTS-CD. This is an excellent surround mix. While I have always advocated the background singers being in the back speakers, in the car this mix sounds incredible, as the background singers are in the front speakers, but solo in the center speaker. When I converted the SACD rip to wav and then DTS, I boosted the center channel as it appeared a bit low in the wave forms, and WOW, listening in the car it's so cool to have those response vocals from the choir coming from the center of the dash!! Since Bob's not in the center, it's a quite stunning listen.

Hey Jon; I have an Oppo BDP 95, but have no clue how to create DTS discs; my new Acura A-SPEC would LOVE some new tunes
Know anyone that makes them; I'd gladly compensate, appropriately!
IM me if you know anyone
thx!

Hey Jon; I have an Oppo BDP 95, but have no clue how to create DTS discs; my new Acura A-SPEC would LOVE some new tunes
Know anyone that makes them; I'd gladly compensate, appropriately!
IM me if you know anyone
thx!

Depends on what type of disc you're working from...if it's computer readable (DVD-A/V, SACD), you can run it through this handy program called DVD-Audio Extractor that'll convert it to a DTS-CD image.

SACD requires a little more work- You can either do an analog capture of output of your player (requires a 6 channel soundcard), or use an Oppo or PS3 with custom firmware to rip the disc.

Depends on what type of disc you're working from...if it's computer readable (DVD-A/V, SACD), you can run it through this handy program called DVD-Audio Extractor that'll convert it to a DTS-CD image.

SACD requires a little more work- You can either do an analog capture of output of your player (requires a 6 channel soundcard), or use an Oppo or PS3 with custom firmware to rip the disc.
Way too complicated for me; I need someone to burn DTS CD's, from DVD Audio, SACD 5.1, or Blu-Ray Audio 5.1
If you know anyone I can trust, I'll be glad to pay them

Just received this rendering of Blood On The Tracks the other day ( SH.tv forum member's price too good to pass up), and it was the funniest thing. I was sitting here thinking " oh, okay, a subtle 5.1 mix...alright. " Turns out I was sitting forward, typing, like I am right now. When I sat back to rest my back, I went " oh ! Okay ! " My rears are positioned fine, it's me that has to stay in the sweet spot. :geek:

To broaden the time frame & album titles, submitted for your consideration:
These three stay at the top of my "Dylan in Surround" pile:

Bringing It All Back Home (1965) ~ She Belongs To Me
Electric band, Bruce Langhorne electric guitar LR
Bass + hi-hat RR

Blonde On Blonde (1966) ~ Absolutely Sweet Marie
Bob's vocal - C
JR Robertson trademark Tele LF+R
Drums, Al Kooper organ RF+R
Harmonica FULL QUAD IMMERSION

Edit / Rant: Low poll scores for this title, IMHO, reflects a basic misunderstanding of the 1966 vision of the mix, and a misguided application of Steven Wilson discrete, isolated, non-simultaneous tracking prog standards to a record of one-take live cuts that sound like you're in the room with the band.

At Dylan's request, Johnston removed the baffles—partitions separating the musicians,
so that there was "an ambience fit for an ensemble".
Buttrey credited the distinctive sound of the album to Johnston's re-arrangement of the studio,
"as if we were on a tight stage, as opposed to playing in a big hall where you're ninety miles apart".

Historian Sean Wilentz observed that "with the sound of 'Sweet Marie', Blonde on Blonde entered
fully and sublimely into what is now considered classic rock and roll."

Love And Theft
(2001) ~ High Water (For Charley Patton)
Acoustic gits, banjos Fronts
Augie Meyers” discrete pumping Tejas accordion RR
Atmospheric ambient backing vocals LR
Thunderous bass bombs LFE
-> Moonlight
Brushes on drums mid-tempo ballad, acoustic & electric guitars,
immersive atmospheric surround , less raspy & nasal crooned vocal

:hi
Hi, Dave. Loved this post. This thing you nicely do—logging which instruments where, etc—what do you think is the closest we got to a running accumulation of objective/subjective data like this in a database or list kind of way? Beyond the poll, say. Beyond Discogs. The internet and forums like this are awesome. Just looking for more, more, more crowdsourcing to parse things like you did. Do you put even just your own observations into a structured retrievable form for yourself? Or all just stream of consciousness in writing, and internet search when you want to retrieve and be reminded? Just curious, if you have time to respond. Thank you.

Hi, Dave. Loved this post. This thing you nicely do—logging which instruments where, etc—what do you think is the closest we got to a running accumulation of objective/subjective data like this in a database or list kind of way? Beyond the poll, say. Beyond Discogs. The internet and forums like this are awesome. Just looking for more, more, more crowdsourcing to parse things like you did. Do you put even just your own observations into a structured retrievable form for yourself? Or all just stream of consciousness in writing, and internet search when you want to retrieve and be reminded? Just curious, if you have time to respond. Thank you.
Thanks, welcome to the forum
Random ramblings on my part.

Mark on the Hoffman forum goes through a few surround titles each week from his collection, often comments track by track on mix elements.

A-M
Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

N-Z
Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If you like to watch YouTube reviews, our member here sometimes puts up graphics of surround placements:
Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

Back