What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Jeff says, quite a few of the Nautilus half speeds were also done as dbx discs...so you have everything from Moody Blues, J Geils, Al Stewart to Melissa Manchester and Pablo Cruise.
Quite a few other rock discs though, I had "Who Are You", Procol's "Broken Barricades" "BST #2", and others, for instance.
I kept my Nautilus half speeds, which pretty universally sound great, just to avoid the decoder step in the chain and another piece of aged electronics. Though the model with the wood end panels looks real purdy......

As Jeff says, quite a few of the Nautilus half speeds were also done as dbx discs...so you have everything from Moody Blues, J Geils, Al Stewart to Melissa Manchester and Pablo Cruise.
Quite a few other rock discs though, I had "Who Are You", Procol's "Broken Barricades" "BST #2", and others, for instance.
I kept my Nautilus half speeds, which pretty universally sound great, just to avoid the decoder step in the chain and another piece of aged electronics. Though the model with the wood end panels looks real purdy......

I found this interesting: A Quadraphonic encoded DBX vinyl disc: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stravinsky-Petrouchka-Prokofiev-The-Love-For-Three-Oranges-Quadraphonic-DBX/163128367964?hash=item25fb355b5c:g:D-wAAOSwr95auqni&_pgn=2&_nkw=dbx+lp&rt=nc

According to this, less than 200 DBX Vinyl discs were produced: http://www.obsoletemedia.org/dbx-disc/

Very interesting although I cannot read the label for more information. Were there more dbx encoded quad lps?

CANDIDE was a budget label from the VOX~Turnabout label.

I have no idea whether any other QUAD DBX encoded discs were produced.

One can only imagine if today you decoded this QUAD DBX disc by having to play it not only though a Surround master but a DBX decoder as well before it even arrived at the pre/pro.

How many DBX encoded vinyl discs did they actually make? I also have some [somewhere] and don't known if I still have the DBX disc decoder but it really did not make that much of an impression on me.
Better dynamic range and noise elimination are the differences with dbx.

Check out Ongaku Kai - Crusaders in Japan. A digital recording. CD sounds poor. dbx LP is stunning.

Check out Ongaku Kai - Crusaders in Japan. A digital recording. CD sounds poor. dbx LP is stunning.

Linda, I don't have a turntable set~up anymore. I used to use DBX instead of DOLBY for my Nakamichi tape deck and was always impressed. I know Nautilus did some fine pressings back in the day but as there was NO internet and I relied on local record stores for the latest Vinyl releases, it was a hit or miss proposition and I'm sure that store I frequented didn't always have the greatest selection of DBX encoded discs.

Oh how I remember those dbx records, especially BS&T and especially Who Are You. When I played the first track, New Song, it just jumped right out of the speakers...blew away the standard vinyl version with its dynamic range, clarity and lack of noise. I sold off all my audiophile vinyl but couldn't give away the dbx decoder, so it went to the electronics recycler. The decoder also had a dbx encode/decode function for taping.

Then I had a 3dbx dynamic range expander which was another magic box.

Bob Dylan-Trouble No More Bootleg Series Volume 13 2 cd set[with the B & N 50 percent off all cd's sale plus 10 percent member discount I paid just under $11 with tax]........David Bowie-Welcome To The Blackout[Live London '78]2 cd set

Just received this one today...good numbers..and playing it now...it's hit and miss on sound quality...a little muddy in spots....but the vocals are usually clear and distinct....great songlist...and the price is right

IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG

The Best of Three Dog Night.....ordered thanks to Mr Eastwood. Happy/sad memories hearing some of these tunes again.....

Same here....a huge range of emotions...songs like Out in the Country and Old Fashioned Love Song really hit close to home...and the hard hitting defiant tone of Liar was something I embraced "back in the day"....it makes me think of a Dickens verse from the Tale of Two Cities...."it was the best of times, it was the worst of times"....and for me...it really was...when I hear the beginning of Joy To The World I think of the beginning of THE BIG CHILL...love that movie...

Last edited:
I just purchased a Glenn Frey CD...this is one I have researched and it paid off....the hunt started with these numbers...take notice of the catalog number and the barcode number...those are the search tools I use...so you can go to Ebay or discogs and find the matching numbers....here it is on discogs...I recommend this version of the album...and the content is pretty good as well...smuggler's blues is an all time favorite song

IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3224.JPG

Back