What's the Latest CD/LP Added to Your Pile #2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby Gentry: Ode To Bobby Gentry - great priced compilation with a good selection of tracks and good sound (DR 11).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004U66S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woefully under-rated as a singer in the 70s this was my first experience of her work outside the obvious single cuts. Highly recommended.
Feb1.jpg

I want to purchase this BUT I am cautious about any modern CD...this was just released and I'm wondering if anyone has purchased this one yet...the performance is from 1980 and Linda was at her peak...the poor reviews on amazon aren't for this 2019 edition...let me know if anyone grabs this one...

I want to purchase this BUT I am cautious about any modern CD...this was just released and I'm wondering if anyone has purchased this one yet...the performance is from 1980 and Linda was at her peak...the poor reviews on amazon aren't for this 2019 edition...let me know if anyone grabs this one...

I streamed this via Amazon Music yesterday and thought it was fine. Her performance is what you would expect from Linda in her prime - amazing. If you’re a fan it’s a no brainer. Just wish they would release the video as it was filmed for an HBO special.

Again I am thrust into the breech on this title...yet another version with yet more praise to suggest it's the best available copy...my poor SHM-SACD version is probably suffering from low self esteem...but Quad Linda has thrown down the gauntlet...so I had to see for myself...I will be conducting a long test this time...I will not only listen to it various ways...but I will enlist a couple of friends and get their opinions as well...

View attachment 38163

??? - OK and...

It took me awhile to find this title...this version....love the song list....especially Breakdown Dead Ahead(the story of my life)...the days of finding these great sounding CDs at cheap prices isn't like it used to be...people know about the DR now...thanks to the "modern mastering" techniques more people like me are beating the bushes for these gems from "back in the day"...I have very few hi rez discs with an album DR of 16....and this one is consistent...not up and down...

IMG_3489.JPG

Another "old school" CD with good numbers..

IMG_3491.JPG

It took me awhile to find this title...this version....love the song list....especially Breakdown Dead Ahead(the story of my life)...the days of finding these great sounding CDs at cheap prices isn't like it used to be...people know about the DR now...thanks to the "modern mastering" techniques more people like me are beating the bushes for these gems from "back in the day"...I have very few hi rez discs with an album DR of 16....and this one is consistent...not up and down...

View attachment 38275

On to the Doobies

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 68

View attachment 38275
Not only does it sound good but the songs are excellent...I'd heard JoJo and Breakdown...but the others were new to me...

Not only does it sound good but the songs are excellent...I'd heard JoJo and Breakdown...but the others were new to me...

Just curious Clint, since I'm fairly ignorant about DR numbers, have you ever sat down with a low DR title and compared it to the same title with a high DR. Then from that ascertain what "you" perceive to be the difference?

Just curious Clint, since I'm fairly ignorant about DR numbers, have you ever sat down with a low DR title and compared it to the same title with a high DR. Then from that ascertain what "you" perceive to be the difference?

I've heard way TOO many titles that were compressed and yes I've hear the same title...but please don't ask me which ones...because I'm sure that would be your next question:ROFLMAO:...in fact a few months ago I tried to replace an old title that I had given away without doing any research and it was compressed....probably if you had some old Led Zep CDs and then compared it to newly remastered one's you could tell...in my case I'm very sensitive to compression...now a good surround mix can "hide" a lot of it with movement...think of it like the kid's game where you keep moving to chairs(musical chairs) until the music stops and everybody has to find a chair...in a song where the mix keeps moving it's not that noticeable...but when you have long passages and no movement...you can hear how compressed it is...

I've heard way TOO many titles that were compressed and yes I've hear the same title...but please don't ask me which ones...because I'm sure that would be your next question:ROFLMAO:...in fact a few months ago I tried to replace an old title that I had given away without doing any research and it was compressed....probably if you had some old Led Zep CDs and then compared it to newly remastered one's you could tell...in my case I'm very sensitive to compression...now a good surround mix can "hide" a lot of it with movement...think of it like the kid's game where you keep moving to chairs(musical chairs) until the music stops and everybody has to find a chair...in a song where the mix keeps moving it's not that noticeable...but when you have long passages and no movement...you can hear how compressed it is...

So actually, my next question is: Do you hear a compressed recording as being "muddy" with a lack of separation of instruments?

So actually, my next question is: Do you hear a compressed recording as being "muddy" with a lack of separation of instruments?

Muddy is something different...just the lack of clarity...compressed is when you try to increase the volume and your ears bleed...well not bleed...but it's uncomfortable to listen to at higher volumes..

Let me mention something...having a great DR doesn't mean the recording is great...BUT...for me that's the starting point..and as I've said...in my case a priority....

J-Pup, my experience is when buying a CD through Amazon, look at the drop down list and pick the oldest one, say 1992 vs 2005, you will always get a better DR rating. But of course it is hit and miss with all this music that gets resold over and over. The CD's that where pressed once and never again usually sound good. Japanese BLU SPEC CD2 and SHM CD's do sound a little better when getting a remastered later version but still not as good as a first version. The great thing is a 200's remastered CD might be $14.00 and the original better version might be $5.00.
Here is the link to DR Loudness and you can play around. At the top type artist and album and you start getting the idea. DR Loudness
Think of it as just another helpful tool but not perfect.

Let me mention something...having a great DR doesn't mean the recording is great...BUT...for me that's the starting point..and as I've said...in my case a priority....

Another aspect, beside the recording, has got to be your system and speakers specifically. I remember years ago when I had some middle of the road Boston Acoustics speakers; I'd listen to those Sting dts discs and thought they sounded horribly bright and ear bleeders at higher volumes. Once I got some better speakers (for me anyway) Martin Logan, those discs tended to smooth out considerably.

J-Pup, my experience is when buying a CD through Amazon, look at the drop down list and pick the oldest one, say 1992 vs 2005, you will always get a better DR rating. But of course it is hit and miss with all this music that gets resold over and over. The CD's that where pressed once and never again usually sound good. Japanese BLU SPEC CD2 and SHM CD's do sound a little better when getting a remastered later version but still not as good as a first version. The great thing is a 200's remastered CD might be $14.00 and the original better version might be $5.00.
Here is the link to DR Loudness and you can play around. At the top type artist and album and you start getting the idea. DR Loudness
Think of it as just another helpful tool but not perfect.

I have been studying the DR Loudness site, and now understand why vinyl enthusiasts prefer them (one aspect anyway), is the DR #s are almost always near the top. Most of my CD purchases the last couple of years have been going more and more towards the MOFI & Japanese titles and I've been very happy with those, but more expensive also.

Back