What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to let us know how this sounds! It's said to be one of CBS' classical "surround spectaculars" with an aggressive quad mix, like the Bartok Concerto. The Q8 popped up last month, but unfortunately I missed it. Maybe someone else here got it?

Hopefully it's on Dutton's radar...

hope so! it's billed as;

"A SONIC SPACE SPECTACULAR"

"FIRST RECORDING IN QUADRAPHONIC SURROUND SOUND"

..which is not how i would describe the Sony SACD! :ROFLMAO:

hope so! it's billed as;

"A SONIC SPACE SPECTACULAR"

"FIRST RECORDING IN QUADRAPHONIC SURROUND SOUND"

..which is not how i would describe the Sony SACD! :ROFLMAO:

Adam, whisper in the Wizard's ear and your [OUR] wish will be granted. Agree the Lenny Planets multichannel [????] SACD s u c k s !

Whisper_Thumb.jpg

Adam, whisper in the Wizard's ear and your [OUR] wish will be granted. Agree the Lenny Planets multichannel [????] SACD s u c k s !

oh i don't have the Wizard's ear any more than you do, Ralphie.. the Wizard is all-knowing anyway and already has all the necessary info at his fingertips.. could 2019 be the year we finally make contact with a truly spectacular surround presentation of The Planets.. :unsure:

In trying to find out more I stumbled across this posing here on QQ from Mark Anderson from a few years back which shows a QX decoder:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/japanese-qx-matrix.17512/post-236305
it would seem that QX was basically just a variant of the Hafler-Dynaco diamond system. Doesn't look like anyone other than Denon showed any interest. Amazing that there are LPs surviving from such a rare, short-lived format (and you must have them all!)

I came across this little tid-bit in an August 8, 1972 Billboard article. The larger paragraph in the middle of the left column talks about QX. This article, and the posting above are the most I have learned about QX so far.

8-12-72 Denon QX matrix excerpt.jpg

Similarly, I found an article from early 1973 that mentions how Toshiba was re-branding their QM matrix as RM. For that one, look in the middle column of the article, just about the middle paragraph. It's these little mentions
that help fill in our picture about these little known Japanese matrix systems, and about when they faded out of existence or took on another name (RM, in general).

Now, that link to Mark Anderson's post about the Nippon-Columbia QXA-1. . . now I have one more piece of equipment from the fringes to add to my "seeking" list ;) .

Attachments

• note how QX becomes RM 2-17-73.pdf
    216.5 KB · Views: 197
That Noche Cubana front cover is probably the most "WTF?" covers I've ever seen. I mean, none of the English translations of the songs even have "cat" in the title. I can't stop laughing my ass off!

I to found it very amusing, to what the heck a cat was doing there for...….. :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:……..
And thanks for the info you have come up with QX matrix great find...
BBQ.

In post #2,695 where I’d just obtained the Stuttgart recording of Haydn’s “The Seasons” with Helen Donath, I bemoaned the fact that the VoxBox sets that appear here in Europe tend to be rather the worse for wear due to their rather cheap packaging. Nonetheless, I was on the lookout for the matching set by the same artists of Haydn’s “Creation”. However in my search I discovered both oratorios as a single box set released in Europe on the Vox label. The relationship between “Vox” and “VoxBox” is not clear to me. The German made Vox set is however offered in a much higher quality box than the VoxBox variants and has a decent illustrated booklet (as opposed to a simple typed libretto sheet in the VoxBox equivalents). This combination set was in mint condition when it arrived this week, still sealed, and I’ve just opened it in order to see how good it is (and it will be interesting to compare the pressing quality with the US variant of The Seasons):

I also took delivery of this recording of baroque guitar concertos-

By coincidence it is on another European VOX affliated label - FSM (which I’m sure you are aware stands for Fono Schallplattengesellschaft Münster !) :

This week I acquired this EMI Electrola recording by one of my favourite conductors of one of my favourite tone poems-

And this still sealed copy of this famous recording which I’ve known in stereo form for a long time but never knew was originally available in quad (until now!)-

Last edited:
Hi. All

More matrix LP`s to my pile..

( Toho Records. RM=QS THL-1159 -Light Music : 2 LP set )-
( Crown. RM=QS GW-7051Q -Xavier Cugat Latin Best-14 )-
( CBS. SQ SOLY-6 -Four Leaves Pop Music 7" )-
( CBS. SQ SOPZ-71-72 SQ Sound Special : 2 LP set )-
( CBS. SQ SOCH-21-22 -SQ Sound Special Vol. 2 : 3 LP Set ( Classical )-

All of this week’s acquisitions were still sealed examples....

Unfortunately this copy of Candide had suffered the indignity of the US practice of mutilating remaindered stock:

The Lucerne Festival Strings made several nice recordings for Eurodisc so this should make a very enjoyable listen:

It’s quite rare to find LPs in charity shops these days, let alone sealed quads, so I was surprised to see these two being sold by the British Heart Foundation (and for just seven quid!):

Also unusual was finding this perfect condition sealed VoxBox set over in Germany as they normally didn’t seem to travel well! :

My latest assortment consisted of-

This Balakirek Piano Concerto disc from Turnabout signed by the pianist Michael Ponti:

Although it is clear that it was signed for "Jasmina", unfortunately, Mr. Ponti's actual signature is rather obscured by the artwork (so glad I didn't pay any extra for it)!

An EMI box set of Humperdink's oratorio Konigskinder:

And this still sealed Bernstein recording of "Harold in Italy":

The faded price label shows that it was once on HMV's shelves for £3.95 - I wonder when HMV last sold quad LP's?!

I’m not someone who would normally choose to spend a couple of hours listening to military bands but I’ve just stumbled across this curiosity. This PYE double LP set was recorded at a military musical pageant marking the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 at the (original!) Wembley Stadium:

The purpose of the event is described in the text inside the gatefold sleeve:

The whole set is rather nicely packaged, and to a much higher standard than most other PYE discs I’ve seen (which were generally rather cheap affairs with poor artwork), so was obviously some sort of prestige project for them. It was presumably intended for the royal souvenir market rather more than for the mainstream music buyer.

I had to add it to the collection as I’m always very keen to have examples of live and location quad recordings that take you outside of the confines of the recording studio. There is a brief note that refers to the recording itself-

Although the claim of perfection on the front cover seems rather bold:

It will be interesting to hear how well the environment and atmosphere of the event was captured by the "Manor Mobile Recording team" and the QS process.

My last few. Sacrifice completes the Mandingo quad collection.

Be sure to let us know how this sounds! It's said to be one of CBS' classical "surround spectaculars" with an aggressive quad mix, like the Bartok Concerto. The Q8 popped up last month, but unfortunately I missed it. Maybe someone else here got it?

Hopefully it's on Dutton's radar...

I can answer my own post regarding The Planets: It's definitely discrete. Not quite the crazy mix that the Bartok Concerto has, but it's really good. I'm hearing harpsichord, organ, and other orchestral elements in the rears.

My principal quad acquisition this week must fall into the ‘super rare’ category. However, I’m not sure I’m really allowed to share it with anyone as it bears the instruction (or is it a warning?!):

So, proceeding with caution, I can reveal that I now own one of the fabled "BBC Radio Presents Matrix H” demonstration discs:

These were made for internal evaluation purposes within the BBC and were shared with other EBU broadcasters who were also examining the possibilities of quad broadcasting at the time. This one apparently came from the Manchester regional radio broadcast engineering dept :

I guess there were never more than a couple of hundred of these pressed so the surviving ones don’t surface very often. I did see one up for sale on eBay in the US at the end of last year and it went surprisingly cheaply, largely I suspect, because the vendor would not ship overseas (rather limiting his market given the greatest interest would be in Europe I would imagine). I had to pay considerably more for this one locally sourced in the UK, but it is in mint condition and of great interest to someone like me who is intrigued by the history of quad and the BBC’s role in its development in particular.

It will be fascinating to hear how the Surround Master copes with Matrix H material (notably in QS mode) aided here by the inclusion of Matrix H directional test tones which are surely a unique resource for anyone experimenting with decoding this format. The disc also contains a fascinating mix of high quality music and drama recordings sourced from the BBC and the other collaborating EBU broadcasters. There is a wealth of information on the individual recorded tracks in the accompanying notes which, for those that are interested, I have posted in the ‘Matrix H Articles’ thread : https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/matrix-h-articles.19991/post-418562

Last edited:
My principal quad acquisition this week must fall into the ‘super rare’ category. However, I’m not sure I’m really allowed to share it with anyone as it bears the instruction (or is it a warning?!):

View attachment 39069

So, proceeding with caution, I can reveal that I now own one of the fabled "BBC Radio Presents Matrix H” demonstration discs:

View attachment 39070

These were made for internal evaluation purposes within the BBC and were shared with other EBU broadcasters who were also examining the possibilities of quad broadcasting at the time. This one apparently came from the Manchester regional radio broadcast engineering dept :

View attachment 39071
View attachment 39072

I guess there were never more than a couple of hundred of these pressed so the surviving ones don’t surface very often. I did see one up for sale on eBay in the US at the end of last year and it went surprisingly cheaply, largely I suspect, because the vendor would not ship overseas (rather limiting his market given the greatest interest would be in Europe I would imagine). I had to pay considerably more for this one locally sourced in the UK, but it is in mint condition and of great interest to someone like me who is intrigued by the history of quad and the BBC’s role in its development in particular.

It will be fascinating to hear how the Surround Master copes with Matrix H material (notably in QS mode) aided here by the inclusion of Matrix H directional test tones which are surely a unique resource for anyone experimenting with decoding this format. The disc also contains a fascinating mix of high quality music and drama recordings sourced from the BBC and the other collaborating EBU broadcasters. There is a wealth of information on the individual recorded tracks in the accompanying notes which, for those that are interested, I have posted in the ‘Matrix H Articles’ thread : https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/matrix-h-articles.19991/post-418562

Hi. Soundfield

Great find, I mist this one so you didn't get me biding against you these are rare to pick up and do go for a high price I have just got one not so long ago and have 2 so fare .
I have allways thought if the BBC has all these Quad recording of live shows and events and sent them around the world to radios station`s for a fee for a limited time of broadcasting what has become of there library of Quad material...
BBQ.....

I'm wondering if the upcoming 12 RBCD Michael Nesmith box set from the RCA/Pacific Arts labels will contain any of those 'rare' RBCDs encoded with Dolby Surround? http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/michael-nesmith-songs-12cd-box/

Dolby encoded titles include:

Michael Nesmith - "...tropical campfires...". Pacific Arts Audio
PAAD-5000. {Reissued as Edsel EDSS 1008}

- Michael Nesmith - The Garden. Rio Records RIOD 2001

Last edited:
Hi. Soundfield

Great find, I mist this one so you didn't get me biding against you these are rare to pick up and do go for a high price I have just got one not so long ago and have 2 so fare .
I have allways thought if the BBC has all these Quad recording of live shows and events and sent them around the world to radios station`s for a fee for a limited time of broadcasting what has become of there library of Quad material...
BBQ.....

Hi Bill. Yes, thanks, I've wanted one of these for ages! Amazed you've got two - surely you wouldn't want a third? - isn't that a little greedy?! I also wonder where all the Beeb's quad material went - sadly it probably just got wiped in the eighties when no one was interested!
Cheers,
Soundfield.

Back