What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MCA did NOT release Quad albums themselves. There are many MCA Quad LP's/CD's that were originally released on Blue Thumb, Bluesway and Impulse as Quad. The Dan Hicks title was originally a Blue Thumb. Those labels have been part of MCA (now Universal) since the late 70's.

Not really a recent purchase but a kinda highlight disc , might even be available in a used record store (well you never know )

So who says MCA never released quad discs ? For the U.S. and Canadian market ?(Other than a handful of exclusive Japanese CD-4's that is)

And I believe this disc was from 1980 ?

Dan Hicks And His Hot Licks-Striking It Rich. (QS matrix )...

MCA did NOT release Quad albums themselves. There are many MCA Quad LP's/CD's that were originally released on Blue Thumb, Bluesway and Impulse as Quad. The Dan Hicks title was originally a Blue Thumb. Those labels have been part of MCA (now Universal) since the late 70's.

And don't forget the MCA albums released by JVC in Japan in CD-4.
The Jaws Original Soundtrack in CD-4 was one of the sonic highlights of the Quad era !

And don't forget the MCA albums released by JVC in Japan in CD-4.
The Jaws Original Soundtrack in CD-4 was one of the sonic highlights of the Quad era !

So, Brian, why don't your friends at Acoustic Sounds release it [JAWS] on multichannel SACD? It's such an iconic soundtrack and IMO would sell well.:banana:

Last edited:

And ABC Records specifically B.B.King (likely John Lee Hooker).

Yes thankyou Q-Linda, I know as I have the Blue Thumb release as well. I thought it was important to note that (finally) MCA did get to issue quad, unknowingly of course .
Thank goodness we had a few "single inventory " quad releases back in the quad Heyday's. It's kinda cool to see the MCA logo on a quad disc issued for the local (U.S.Canadian) market. Or so I think anyways. :D

Hi. All

More matrix LP`s

( Crown. RM=QS GW-7062Q -0Yoji Yamashita Hawaii Fresh! Hawaiian Best )-
( Jockey Records. QS JSLP 2002 -Walk on the Wild Side with the Westcoasters )-
( BASF. SQ 20 228 444 -Classic Wonderland Arno Flor Orchestra )-
( EMI. SQ ESC80163 -Dutilleux Serge Baudo Cello Conerto )-

IMG_1856.jpg
IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1860.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg
IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

1812 / Romeo & Juliet - Tchaikovsky - Ormandy - Philadelphia Orchestra - Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Valley Forge Military Academy Band (SQ LP)

"Exciting version, especially created for surround sound"

:yikes

:nuke

Does this album have an SQ logo on the back of the cover? With the Japanese EMI recordings, you can't assume they're SQ. Most are RM/QS.

Hi. jaybird

These Japanese classical EMI LP`s do have the indication on the LP label but no ware on the front or back of the LP cover if you look carefully ( Q2LA-9173 ) and it`s marked on the inner groove of the LP most of the time if there is no close up photo of the LP label they generally quote ( EAC-80163 ) on the description so you will think it is only Stereo, but if there is close up of the label and you see
( Q2 ---- ) you now it to be SQ, it is something to look out for when buying.

This is defiantly SQ. Toshiba did the distribution in Japan for EMI Classical and they were only SQ.
Yes Toshiba dabbled in QS & CD-4.
Bill....

oh dear.. my bad! is it a good surround mix? if so i'll track down the real McCoy!

Hi. fredy

Its whyill since I have played this LP but what I can remember it has a good spread of instruments the female & male singer seems to sing in the corners separated from each other but sort of lade back music that would be great to play at a BBQ Hawaiian style.
Unfortunately I cant play this CD-4 LP at the moment have the lack of room to accommodate my CD-4 set up I have to rearrange things.
Try your LP on your CD-4 it might be CD-4 remember there is no indication on the LP cover or the LP label to indicate that it is Quad but the sticker on the front... it want harm you to try..
Bill.

Hi. fredy

Its whyill since I have played this LP but what I can remember it has a good spread of instruments the female & male singer seems to sing in the corners separated from each other but sort of lade back music that would be great to play at a BBQ Hawaiian style.
Unfortunately I cant play this CD-4 LP at the moment have the lack of room to accommodate my CD-4 set up I have to rearrange things.
Try your LP on your CD-4 it might be CD-4 remember there is no indication on the LP cover or the LP label to indicate that it is Quad but the sticker on the front... it want harm you to try..
Bill.

Thanks Bill, i will give it a go.
It didn't look like a CD-4, don't remember the run out groove area being particularly large nor it having that rainbow-y type appearance to the vinyl when you hold it up at a certain angle.. but it might still be
i guess!

Thanks Bill, i will give it a go.
It didn't look like a CD-4, don't remember the run out groove area being particularly large nor it having that rainbow-y type appearance to the vinyl when you hold it up at a certain angle.. but it might still be
i guess!

If the album has the CD-4 sticker, then you have the CD-4 version of Puka Shells (GNPS-2091).
If it doesn't, you probably have the EV-4 matrix encoded version of the album (GNPSQ-2091).

ARTHUR LYMAN -
* Puka Shells. GNP Cresendo GNPSQ-2091 (EV), GNPS 2091 (CD4)

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm#L

Back