What's the Latest MATRIX LP/CD Added to Your Pile? SQ, QS, RM, EV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bill. Yes, thanks, I've wanted one of these for ages! Amazed you've got two - surely you wouldn't want a third? - isn't that a little greedy?! I also wonder where all the Beeb's quad material went - sadly it probably just got wiped in the eighties when no one was interested!
Cheers,
Soundfield.

Noooooooo not me just …...I have a affliction called Quadraphobea need to buy everything Quad...…….😨

An expensive week last week so I was frugal in my LP spend, with just this one still sealed disc added to the collection:

Whilst this recording was made with “Dolby S/N Stretcher” as were a lot of the VOX / Turnabout quads, this one also carries a “dbx” sticker. This which seems to have been something of an afterthought as, although the QS and Dolby processes are mentioned on the rear cover, there’s no word of dbx :

Which seems a bit odd, nonetheless, an interesting combination of technologies here – although I’ve never owned a dbx Decoder so I’m not sure how the sound might be compromised without employing one (the sticker warns “use only with dbx decoder”!)

Last edited:
Two purchases (but a total of 4 discs) this week.
(1) This nice, sealed Eurodisc copy of Bruch and Mendlessohn violin concertos:

(2) This three disc VoxBox set of the complete Mendlessohn string symphonies:

As usual the VoxBox packaging is rather disappointing, the single typed contents sheet on cheap paper being a particularly feeble effort:

An expensive week last week so I was frugal in my LP spend, with just this one still sealed disc added to the collection:

View attachment 39268
View attachment 39269

Whilst this recording was made with “Dolby S/N Stretcher” as were a lot of the VOX / Turnabout quads, this one also carries a “dbx” sticker. This which seems to have been something of an afterthought as, although the QS and Dolby processes are mentioned on the rear cover, there’s no word of dbx :

View attachment 39270

Which seems a bit odd, nonetheless, an interesting combination of technologies here – although I’ve never owned a dbx Decoder so I’m not sure how the sound might be compromised without employing one (the sticker warns “use only with dbx decoder”!)

Beside quad stuff , I also collect DBX vinyl too. I also have a quad/dbx encoded lp. But at this moment , I can't remember the release. I looked it up on my Discogs collection:
Stravinsky*, Prokofiev*, Minnesota Orchestra, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski ‎– Petrouchka / The Love For Three Oranges (Suite
I here that without the dbx decoder , the sounds suffers. I also heard that with the decoder , the sound suffers. I do have a decoder for dbx but I haven't set it up yet.

One that's very common and two not so this week.
The common one is to replace my old copy of a Bernstein disc that was, to put it colloquially, somewhat shagged:

It seems to have been rather better cared for than my previous copy, perhaps because it never went to the retail market:

The rather less common ones were this location recording of baroque trumpet and organ music on the really obscure Ars Forma label:

And this pair of Haydn symphonies on the (EMI affiliated) Italian label PDU:

I use a ultrasonic cleaner with distilled water, small amount of a surfactant (Dawn Free & Gentle). Remove record , while still wet, use microfiber brush , rotating record opposite turntable rotation. Back in ultrasonic bath , remove and rinse with distilled water. Dry.
I know there are a lot of different ways and opinions, but that is how I clean my records.

Somebody’s been workin’ it, what’s the condition of these beauties? Details please!

R.E.O and Manhattans are recorded in, just starting to work on them in Audacity. The R.E.O mix is incredible, another one of those great CBS rock mixes with the drums/bass/vocals in the front and rhythm guitars or guitars/keyboards isolated in the rears. The song "Down By The Dam" is demo-worthy. Manhattans is also quite enjoyable, it's another one of those "drums in the right rear, bass in the left rear" mixes.

The two Isley titles are vastly different mixes: 3+3 is pretty discrete (I'm sure many have heard the quad mix on the SACD), but Harvest For The World is very tame. There's definitely some separation going on (the vocals seem locked to center front), but otherwise I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on, and there's no discrete Q8 to reference for that title...

R.E.O and Manhattans are recorded in, just starting to work on them in Audacity. The R.E.O mix is incredible, another one of those great CBS rock mixes with the drums/bass/vocals in the front and rhythm guitars or guitars/keyboards isolated in the rears. The song "Down By The Dam" is demo-worthy. Manhattans is also quite enjoyable, it's another one of those "drums in the right rear, bass in the left rear" mixes.

The two Isley titles are vastly different mixes: 3+3 is pretty discrete (I'm sure many have heard the quad mix on the SACD), but Harvest For The World is very tame. There's definitely some separation going on (the vocals seem locked to center front), but otherwise I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on, and there's no discrete Q8 to reference for that title...

oh yeah!! bring on the good stuff!! love love love those REO Quads! 🥰
prefer "This Time We Mean It" as an album (and the surround mix is.. fabulous!) but really they're both wonderful! fingers crossed DV do them someday, although Cherry Red just did a boxset including those records so we shall have to see if the Wizard can wave his magic Quad wand and make it happen as he did for Poco! 🤞

you know, i really like the two Isley Quads that have been somewhat maligned for their mixes over the years (Live It Up and HFTW) there's all sorts of stuff going on in both Quads, they are genuine remixes (Santana "Amigos" & Herbie Hancock "Secrets" they are not!) its just they're more subtle than the usual clobber you over the head CBS discrete-o-mix so they may not seem as instantly surroundily impressive but they totally rock and the way both mixes bring up those beautiful harmony vocals in the Rear channels.. divine! makes me too long for a discrete version - at last!!

when will there be a Quad DV harvest for our QQ world..!!!

SOON i hope, i'm gonna bust a bleedin' blood vessel waiting fahfuucccckkkkkssake..!!!! 🤯

Back