What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just scored Toy Matinee for $56 and Shangri-La for $26 on Discogs, both sealed! Couldn't be happier. Very much looking forward to listening next week.
They arrived today, exactly as described. After unwrapping:

IZaJMfT.jpg

This is my first Mark Knopfler in surround (I've heard the album on CD), not counting Brothers In Arms on SACD, and my first copy of Toy Matinee on any format. It's the one missing link in my Kevin Gilbert discography, and I can't believe I managed to acquire the DVD-A before the CD—and sealed—at a reasonable price! I'm making time to listen to both in the coming week.

Dido and Aeneazz (Pentatone, 2019): a compelling chamber-jazz take on Purcell, featuring the Calefax wind ensemble and a jazz trio led by Dutch trumpeter Eric Vloeimans. Nice, clean recording; "big ambience" (chamber reverb) in the rears.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Paul Weller - what kind of music is it?

it was that time when the Modfather flirted with being a Quadfather! :ROFLMAO:

its an album of cover versions, some fairly leftfield like his unusual and somewhat unlikely take on The Carpenters' "Close To You", alongside equally unexpected Rose Royce and Sister Sledge covers for the mod turned solo singer/songwriter type artiste.. the Watchtower covers less of a departure but still fairly interesting, i recall a couple of tunes and arrangements maybe stretching his vocal abilities a tad, though i haven't played the SACD in surround for a wee while (largely since embarking on ye olde Quad trip that never endssss!) i rather enjoyed it back in that ferocious 5.1 phase and the surround mix while nothing outstanding or reference quality struck me as pretty good at the time. maybe one to get if you see it cheap (which it was back when i was picking up this stuff) or if you are feeling in the mood for something a bit different in surround yet still an easy listen, without being easy listening! 😎

Finally after a few years a completed my JSP Records SACD collection of blues artists all in surround.
I always look periodically and this last one was very expensive last year and I was able to snag a new copy for $33.00.
There are a 11 in total, JSP Records Surround
View attachment 40711
I'm missing 3: Carey Bell, Jimmy Witherspoon, and Lowell Fulson.

Well, now I'm only missing 2. Just picked up Lowell Fulson for $20cdn. Been listening to it on YouTube and it sounds like one of the better discs in the series.
Yeah, they are a little hit and miss, this Carey Bell is OK, Vocal center, rhythm guitar left rear, drums and bass across front, harmonica goes front and then rear right, a little weird but if you love the blues like I do it is slim pickens in surround.

View attachment 40826

ImportCDs on eBay was having a sale, so I caught up on a few recentish releases on MCH SACD (the Chorzempa Handel Organ Concertos isn't new, but it completes my set of all four volumes).

I would like your opinion of the Respighi and Rossini titles ubertrout.

4 new Quad SACDs from Dutton Vocalion;

Sextant : Herbie Hancock (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),

Rockin' & The Best Of Volume 2 : The Guess Who (Hybrid MultiCh SACD 2-fer),

Black Byrd : Donald Byrd (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),

Philadelphia Freedom & Summertime (Hybrid MultiCh SACD; 2-fer w/Philadelphia Freedom in Quad, Summertime in Stereo)

40664102-3B2A-407E-8B2C-D94C0F368408.jpeg

D9545699-1742-4ECC-B911-0C196A6A7226.jpeg

The Schubert and Mendelssohn look tempting! Been meaning to expand my classical selection with more of those two composers. Recommended?

View attachment 40826

ImportCDs on eBay was having a sale, so I caught up on a few recentish releases on MCH SACD (the Chorzempa Handel Organ Concertos isn't new, but it completes my set of all four volumes).

4 new Quad SACDs from Dutton Vocalion;

Sextant : Herbie Hancock (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),

Rockin' & The Best Of Volume 2 : The Guess Who (Hybrid MultiCh SACD 2-fer),

Black Byrd : Donald Byrd (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),

Philadelphia Freedom & Summertime (Hybrid MultiCh SACD; 2-fer w/Philadelphia Freedom in Quad, Summertime in Stereo)

View attachment 41098

View attachment 41099
Very nice!

Very nice!

some cool artwork on this latest batch, plus fabulous liner notes throughout including another superb write up from our own steelydave (David Zimmerman) in the Guess Who 2-fer and excellent essays from Mojo & Record Collector magazine's Charles Waring in the Donald Byrd, MFSB and Herbie Hancock releases! i think DV have taken things up a notch in the presentation quality stakes. i also notice a credit to the legendary Robert Vosgien of Capitol Studios in the Donald Byrd SACD.. Quadio's rebirth appears to be in full swing! 🤩🥳

Last edited:
Back