What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cactus Of Knowledge : Rabih Abou-Khalil (DVD-Audio)

582E5A2E-9316-4314-AAD8-ACE5909B1D32.jpeg

DA0342EB-14EA-4442-80E8-D81393C94A44.jpeg

Had always had the DTS CD of this but I got the DVD-A which is always a "step up".... this was the last great Sting LP... saw him on that tour in Santiago de Compostela!!!
Funnily enough , the DVD-A is from 2003 .. the LP was from 2000... released 3 years later on DVD-A.. interesting...
R-3178040-1552211427-3523.jpeg.jpg
I had the DVD-A first and got the DTS later cause I couldn't rip the DVD-A - LOL!!!

Well i just got in War of the Worlds on sacd

And also scored recently The Doors perception box set of 6 cds n 6 dvda in 5.1
Fairly cheap n without the box....im happy cuz its about the music....for a couple hundred less u can keep the box
Let us know how you like those Doors DVDs, I should sure play mine more often:smokin

Let us know how you like those Doors DVDs, I should sure play mine more often:smokin
I have the single disc Analogue Productions LA Woman SACD and rarely listen to it as it just doesn’t seem to do much surround-wise. I understand that the DVD-As in the Perception box contain the same 5.1 mixes as the AP single SACDs. If that’s the case, I can see why the box is gathering dust on your shelf, Pup!

I have the single disc Analogue Productions LA Woman SACD and rarely listen to it as it just doesn’t seem to do much surround-wise. I understand that the DVD-As in the Perception box contain the same 5.1 mixes as the AP single SACDs. If that’s the case, I can see why the box is gathering dust on your shelf, Pup!
I just don’t remember :ROFLMAO:

Yep, they're all the same. There was actually an entire thread about that not too long ago.

I'd say Morrison Hotel is the best one surround-wise in the set. There's plenty of rear channel action in that one - Manzarek's keys in "Waiting For The Sun", lead guitar licks and violin in "Land Ho", Morrison's backing vocals and the guitar solo in "Peace Frog", etc.

What's interesting is that Bruce Botnick did a number of quad mixes back in the '70s (Best Of The Doors, Weather Report's Tale Spinnin', Earth Wind & Fire's Open Our Eyes, Dave Mason's Split Coconut) and in my opinion, they're quite a bit better than what he did with the Doors catalog.

Last edited:
Yep, they're all the same. There was actually an entire thread about that not too long ago.

I'd say Morrison Hotel is the best one surround-wise in the set. There's plenty of rear channel action in that one - Manzarek's keys in "Waiting For The Sun", lead guitar licks and violin in "Land Ho", Morrison's backing vocals and the guitar solo in "Peace Frog", etc.

What's interesting is that Bruce Botnick did a number of quad mixes back in the '70s (Best Of The Doors, Weather Report's Tale Spinnin', Earth Wind & Fire's Open Our Eyes, Dave Mason's Split Coconut) and in my opinion, they're quite a bit better than what he did with the Doors catalog.
I know I like Peace Frog 🐸 and what about the Blu-Ray Singles disc?

and what about the Blu-Ray Singles disc?

I'll just quote myself on that one. It's a must-have for sure.
For my money, the best Doors surround release is The Singles CD/Blu-Ray set, which includes the 1973 quadraphonic mix of the Best Of The Doors album. Personally, I like the old quad mixes better than the new 5.1's.
...The 5.1 mixes are more front-leaning with heavy use of the center channel, while the quad has much more going on in the rears. "Soul Kitchen", "Light My Fire", "Take It As It Comes", and "Love Me Two Times" in 5.1 are strictly ambient, yet the quad versions actually try to be discrete despite the limited source. "Riders On The Storm" in quad absolutely wipes the floor with the newer 5.1 mix.

I'd say the BD-A is the one to get for the casual fan, and the box is for the collectors/completists. Glad to have both though!

I'll just quote myself on that one. It's a must-have for sure.
Totally agree, the Singles BDA mix is very impressive surround-wise. What Botnick did on Tale Spinnin’ makes his Doors mixes seem one dimensional. Wonder why he played it so conservatively. Good to hear Morrison Hotel sounds good as it’s my favorite Doors album.

Back