What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoy comparing the matrix and discrete versions of CBS quads, it's fascinating how sometimes the decoder does an excellent job and sometimes it struggles. I actually just picked up an SQ copy of Harold Melvin's Wake Up Everybody and was shocked how poorly it decoded, so I cued up the title track, available in discrete on AF's The Collection SACD (no Q8 release for this one), and realized why: on the discrete version, the rears start off nearly silent and appear to be used in a very subtle manner. Certainly not your typical uber-dry, uber-discrete CBS quad mix.

In the end, I find it's best to have both SQ and Q8 versions of a given title, if possible. Even if the Q8 sounds lousy, it's nice to have a discrete reference.

maybe its just the title track of "Wake Up Everybody" that's as subtle as that? i recall "Don't Leave Me This Way" and at least one other track being quite Quaddy, although with no discrete point of reference until/unless it ever gets done on SACD who knows how Quaddy the rest of the album really is! 🤔

edit: how Quaddy is "Tell The World How I Feel Abou'cha Baby" through your Tate?
that's another track off that SQ album i felt panned out pretty well through the Surround Master.. 🧐

Great haul, Bill! Would love to know how discrete the mix is on the Petrouchka, since some of the other Vanguard QRs I've heard are quite good.

Hi. humprof

I had a good listen to Petrouchka I did enjoy this peace, I found it dynamic it gave you the fell that you where in the conductors podium the sound field like horse shoe around you instruments to the left & right of you and gave the sense of center L & R in front of you very immerseful sound field it is a very playful mix from 8 track recording.
BBQ....

maybe its just the title track of "Wake Up Everybody" that's as subtle as that? i recall "Don't Leave Me This Way" and at least one other track being quite Quaddy, although with no discrete point of reference until/unless it ever gets done on SACD who knows how Quaddy the rest of the album really is! 🤔

Hey Adam, sorry for the late response on this, but I finally got to sit down and really listen to the LP. "Don't Leave Me This Way" is indeed quite a blast in quad, bongos locked to left rear and all kinds of crazy stuff all around. This mix isn't quite as over-the-top as Black & Blue, but it's certainly worthy. I wonder why AF opted for the title track on their sampler?

These two came in earlier this week.

Hi. All

More Q4 & Q8 tapes to my pile.

( Ovation Records. Q4 OVT J 11601 -Hollywood Gold Vol. 1 )-
( Ovation Records. Q4 OVT J 11602 -Hollywood Gold Vol. 2 )-
( CBS Columbia. Q8 MAQ 32057 -Mozart`s Greatest Hits )-
( CBS Columbia. Q8 MAQ 320587 -Ferdinand " Jelly Roll" Morton )-

I have the full Vo. 1 to 4 of Holly Wood Gold now....

Last edited:
You're all a bunch of sickies. And I'm a sickie, as well.

I bought woefully few prerecorded tapes new EXCEPT Q8's and 7 1/2 ips reels. IMHO, most 3 3/4 ips reels sound poor.

I'm terrified of used tapes, for a whole host of reasons. Still, I've picked up a few Q8's for a couple bucks and was bequeathed several dozen Q8's to add to the 200+ I bought new.

My first Quad piece was Akai CR80-DSS which I bought new. I still have it and it works. After I added SQ, QS & CD-4 capabilities, I returned to buying vinyl, especially CD-4 titles. Once I put a Q8 in my car, I returned to preferring that format for a short while.

I started with Q8's since most Quad titles were available in that format and they were discrete.

Although this may be blasphemous to many of you, I prefer Quad vinyl because the frequency response and dynamic range blow away Q8, although not Q4. Sadly, there were fewer Q4 titles and they weren't very widely distributed. Rose Records, Korvettes and hi-fi stores like mine were the only places around Chicago that sold Q4 tapes.

You're all a bunch of sickies. And I'm a sickie, as well.

I bought woefully few prerecorded tapes new EXCEPT Q8's and 7 1/2 ips reels. IMHO, most 3 3/4 ips reels sound poor.

I'm terrified of used tapes, for a whole host of reasons. Still, I've picked up a few Q8's for a couple bucks and was bequeathed several dozen Q8's to add to the 200+ I bought new.

My first Quad piece was Akai CR80-DSS which I bought new. I still have it and it works. After I added SQ, QS & CD-4 capabilities, I returned to buying vinyl, especially CD-4 titles. Once I put a Q8 in my car, I returned to preferring that format for a short while.

I started with Q8's since most Quad titles were available in that format and they were discrete.

Although this may be blasphemous to many of you, I prefer Quad vinyl because the frequency response and dynamic range blow away Q8, although not Q4. Sadly, there were fewer Q4 titles and they weren't very widely distributed. Rose Records, Korvettes and hi-fi stores like mine were the only places around Chicago that sold Q4 tapes.

Hi. Quad Linda

The only reason I got into Q8`s is a friend of mine found a Akai CR D-SS deck in a OP. shop and it was only a $1 and it looked like mint he new I was into vintage Quad so he bought it and gave it to me and then I got hocked and about 600+ Q8 on words in my collection now..
BBQ....

Last edited:
And I thought my Technics RS-858DUS was a steal at $75 at a garage sale. It did have the box but it needs work.

Hi. Circular Vibes

Yes it was a $1 and the great thing about it, it was in good running order the only thing I have done is buy a new rubber belt haven't installed it yet because no problem yet..
BBQ...

Although this may be blasphemous to many of you, I prefer Quad vinyl because the frequency response and dynamic range blow away Q8, although not Q4.

I wouldn't call it blasphemy by any means. For me, whether vinyl or 8-track is my format of choice changes on a title-by-title basis. Sometimes the Q8s don't sound too hot, and I find the decoded SQ or demodulated CD-4 to be a much more pleasing listen. But there are a lot of cases where the vinyl is just as bad, if not worse than it's 8-track counterpart. A lot of the Columbia SQ pressings in particular are not great-sounding (in my experience) and the decoding can accentuate the problem, especially on the inner groove tracks. I think at this point I've heard the best and worst every quad format has to offer...

Some new old tapes! The Redbone is still sealed. View attachment 40650

that Redbone album has a great Quad mix, really fun use of all channels and playful ping-pong panning takes the music to another level of excitement compared to the Stereo, imho.
it would be supercool if DV could secure licencing for the title and do it on MultiCh SACD someday 🤞

"one more time
just a little bit,
one more time
just a little bit.."

then the buzzy little synth sound effects ping around the room;
- bzz wizz zum da zum doo da zee -

yeah man, dat's da sh!t right there! :smokin

Back