What's your latest earworm???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody's "latest" earworm is stuff from the 70s. :(

Nope. My latest earworm is Marty Robbins' El Paso from 1959. And it's lock jawed...been in my head for about a week now and won't go away. It's probably my favorite western song of all time. The thing that has bothered me about this song since I was a little kid...one of the great mysteries of the universe...is why there were 17 guys on horses just waiting around for this dude who was long, long gone to show up again. Geez, didn't they have anything else to do?

This is my latest one, and it's brand new, the album it's culled from doesn't come out until next month.

Holy Ghost! are one of my best 'modern artist' finds of recent years - funnily enough they originally came on to my radar circa 2011 because Michael McDonald (of all people!) provided backing vocals for a track of theirs called Some Children. I liked what I heard of that track, and bought their debut album based on the strength of that. I liked sophomore album, Dynamics, from 2013, even more, and they've done a couple of singles and EPs since then that are also great, so I'm really looking forward to their long overdue third album. I'm not sure exactly how you'd describe their music - sort of a fusion of late 70s/early 80s disco and funk rhythms with 80 synth-pop textures in to something that's at the same time entirely modern but endearingly retro. If you like this at all I highly reccomend you check out their earlier work.

Crystal Palace - Sleepless

Not actually new but I have only recently discovered this band so it is 'new' to me. As a guide to the genre, their label is owned by the two founding musicians from RPWL, who also appear, and Colin Edwin, formerly of Porcupine Tree, plays bass on one track. This track is from their 2013 album System of Events and should provide a good work out for your sub-woofer. I can thoroughly recommend the whole album if you feel so inclined although it is only in stereo.

Great track by Joe Jackson. Hey, is he shoeless?

I've seen/heard Joe live a couple times. First, it was at Chicago Theater. Then, it was Park West.

Now you have triggered an "eye worm"...the mention of Shoeless Joe Jackson....now I'll have to get Field of Dreams out and watch it🤓

River of Love - Taj Mahal from '91 CD Like Never Before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_Never_Before

Seen TAJ many times, the best was with his full band, I think late 90s. The Funky Meters opened for them- just a hell of a show.

He still had that young, sweeter voice back then on Like Never Before.

I feel there’s many folks out there that just don’t know his music.

I saw/heard Taj at House of Blues in Chicago and again at Pabst Theater in Milwaukee on the TajMo tour w/KebMo. Also saw KebMo by himself at Pabst.

Taj first caught my attention in '68. I had my local record store ordered one for me based on a review I read. It might have been in Guitar Player. That first solo record of his w/birds on cover and Ryland P. Cooder is still my favorite.

Seen TAJ many times, the best was with his full band, I think late 90s. The Funky Meters opened for them- just a hell of a show.

He still had that young, sweeter voice back then on Like Never Before.

I feel there’s many folks out there that just don’t know his music.

Last edited:
I saw/heard Taj at House of Blues in Chicago and again at Pabst Theater in Milwaukee on the TajMo tour w/KebMo. Also saw KebMo by himself at Pabst.

Taj first caught my attention in '68. I had my local record store order one for me based on a review I read. It might have been in Guitar Player. That first solo record of his w/birds on cover and Ryland P. Cooder is still my favorite.
Hey, that Guitar Player Mag. was a great resource for discovering new talent.

Back