Why is everyone so jazzed about ATMOS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i recently made the atmos upgrade (7.2.4) and am underwhelmed for a number of reasons.
- very limited material available (especially music)
- lots of extra cost. I went with separates so i bought an atmos preamp/processor, 11 channels of amplification, 4 ceiling speakers. cost me about $3K.
- effect is not much for music, a little more for movies

i'm not sure the format will succeed for music. surround sound music, SACD/DVD-A (And now bluray audio) have been out for 20 years and are niche markets now. there are plenty of older lousy products / mixes out there. it took a good 10 years for people like Steve Wilson to figure out how to really utilize the format. so unless he or other contemporaries climb on the atmos bandwagon i expect there to be a lot of low quality releases. i am however, holding out hope for Abbey Road. The White Album was a very good 5.1 surround sound release with excellent dynamics. I hope the bar gets raised.

Last edited:
I go to the theater about 5~10 times a year, depending on what's playing. I only go to my local Regal Pinnacle 18 theater, and I only see movies available in theater #9 because it's the only one that has a full Atmos setup which is absolutely incredible. Atmos is just like anything else. It can be done very well, or not, but when done well, it's freakin' amazing! Like any new technology, it's up to the individuals mixing it to push it to its limits.

I have a 7.2 setup right now, but hopefully before too long I can afford to buy 4 ceiling speakers and a new receiver in order to do Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3-D at home.

Also I'd love to learn how to mix audio in object-based components too! I assume a joystick is involved. :ROFLMAO:

As we say in the normal home theater world. Whoop de doo. 😀 Look. I’m happy for you kids. I don’t have a room big enough to enjoy adding 70 more speakers and -even if I did- I wouldn’t.

I have the room to add 2 stereo speakers only in my room, but I wouldn't.

It's the same philosophy. No Judgement.

I'm young enough to appreciate the Tech, but old enough to respect your perspective.

I’m gonna ramble like Grampa Simpson with an onion on his belt. Forgive me.

I’m personally glad for the flurry of ATMOS activity for the simple reason that in our increasingly lossy streamed music-scape, anything that helps drive a niche like this one we’re passionate about is a good thing. If it weren’t backwards compatible then I’d likely be more lukewarm but thankfully they developed this object-oriented around existing gear and specs so ATMOS releases can work on our 5/6//7/9.x systems. No, some of these ATMOS mixes may not translate as well as we’d like when downmixed, but the discs we already have still work and at a time when SACD gets little love from the major labels it seems enough to spur them release some music on Blu-ray even as the market for music on that format is also sputtered (Pure Audio, anyone?). So I see little downside for now. Maybe we can eke out a few more years.

Of course, I’m leaving out all the asterisks and caveats — many of which have been discussed on this fine board. I’d never be accused of being a pollyanna about... anything.

So, what’s my experience with ATMOS? Very uneven in practice. Most has been my local Dolby ATMOS theater. Thanks to an AMC subscription plan I have gone to see many movies in the last year that normally endure just to focus on the audio. Trust me when I say that were it not for my audio curiosity I would not have seen... I’d rather not remember just to name them. In any case, it’s been interesting. Interesating enough to buy speakers and wire my ceiling? No.

Truth about my setup is that it is in a room that would drive hardcore audiophiles to their grave. No treatments, a fair bit of glass, speakers at uneven distances that without room correction (in my case Pioneer’s MCAAC Pro) would (and do!) sound awful. But once the algorithms work their magic it all comes together well enough and I’ve been enjoying 5.1 and then 7.1 for many years.

Today, I dusted off two tiny rears from my first setup: a ten year old HTIB Klipsch set. It’s ugly. I’ve got them placed high enough and at a decent enough angle that I can finally test whether or not I want to invest in upfiring speakers to go with my matched PSB setup. I’d share images but it’d make those audiophiles rise from their graves and no one wants that.

I have plenty of ATMOS movies but it’s music that has my curiosity piqued and it’s music that would get me to throw down the music. That limits my test to the two ATMOS music releases I own. INXS’s KICK and R.E.M.’s Automatic for the People. The latter is easily one of my top ten albums and could probably win an arm wrestling contest to be my favorite most days. (Pro-Tip: If you’re bored of Everybody Hurts, substitute their cover of Robyn Hitchcock’s Arms of Love from one of AftP’s singles. Sick of skipping Ignoreland? Their cover of Leonard Cohen’s First We Take Manhattan (from another AftP single). Tangent? Maybe. Consider it evidence of how well I know this album and surrounding releases. That’s also why it’s the perfect candidate for me to see about this ATMOS music thing.

Like quite a few here, I bought the SDE when it came out. I liked the 5.1 fine and it seemed like a fresh alternative to my beloved Sheiner DVD-Audio (original release, not the 2-disc set). This album is my older brother; it’s my bartender; it was my guide to and within my middle age. So, to avoid just lulling myself into passive listening I first poppped it in today and focused on Drive (because I remember talk about the strings), Star Me Kitten (because it’s atmospheric) and Man on the Moon (because it’s a cliche). They sounded good but the truth is my room is simply too chaotic to have been able to tell much difference. I goosed the height channels some and saved an alternate preset. Yeah, sounded okay. Not memorable.

So I went into my Pioneer 701 AVR remote app and one-by-one shut off the three mains, hit play and listened end-to-end. Did that change things? Oh, hells yeah. Does what follows make for a good mix? Not necessarily. Does it make for a fascinating personal understanding? Undoubtedly and enough to have me throwing pennies into my swear jar every time a certain leader of Igoreland tweets just to save up for upfiring modules. In fact, it may just encourage me to swear more.

[This is where I initially wrote about Automatic in painstaking and pretentious detail but I’m going to post it in the thread dedicated to that album. I removed that segment before posting and that wordy and pretentious list of impressions can be found here.]

Does this make it an amazing game changing listen? I don’t know and I don’t speak for others. Does it make it an astonishing forensic listen for me? Yes. My ear needs more training, my room needs better height speakers, I need more ATMOS music releases and my wallet needs more money. Let the swearing begin.

P.S. Just for comparion’s sake I tossed in The White Album to see what an “up mix” sounds like with just the heights. Well, all I can say is that it reveals exactly why upmixes can’t live up to an actual mix. It sounds like the lads are drowning up there in the USSR. In Prudence, Lennon sounds like he’s next door, singing into a tin can strung into my house. I am more excited about Abbey Road ATMOS now than ever.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that "our group" is voicing these adverse opinions on an emerging technology. Others have mentioned how similar it sort of sounds to quad / surround opinions from stereo (mono) only lovers.

To start, and echo others, it isn't hurting "our cause" at all and is actually potentially giving strength to more surround music. Every upgrade we make to our systems has the balance of cost to benefit. I admit this one is a higher cost both monetary and in physical space. For many ATMOS,DTS-X & Auro 3D may not have much if any benefit to their ears or environment. I personally found ATMOS to provide (someone else said this) a more immersive experience. My wife who really hates this entire equipment fuse even said, "Now the music and sounds are coming from everywhere in the room, even between the speakers." You still have very directional sounds but they appear more spread around the room. Maybe a good way to describe it as they ‘seem’ have wider presence without overlapping other sounds. I know, YES, we get this from 5.1 but I’m describing the change I heard going to ATMOS. Is it monumental or earth shattering? No, it is an enhancement that each person must way the benefit to justify or not for themselves.

I started with 5.1 and upgraded to 7.1 for many years. I decided the rear two speakers were not adding the expected benefit and changed back to 5.1. I do not fault anyone loving a 7.1 system and perhaps with a different room setup may even go back to 7.1 in the future. I did add a second sub-woofer as I felt a second sub in my room took a direction out of the bass (I know bass is not directional but this is what I experienced and enjoy). I now have four ATMOS up-firing speakers and feel that ceiling mounted ATMOS speakers would most likely be better but… cost to benefit holds back that additional change right now.

In all fairness to both sides (why do we have sides on this any ways?) I DO use my system for movies too. Movies soundtracks are already done very immersive in my opinion but do benefit from the ATMOS treatment. I do like Dolby 5.1 but like DTS more. I like DTS-HD MA&* Dolby’s lossless but like ATMOS a little more. It is all relative to your perceived benefit. Friends are blown away by my sound system but I must admit…they rarely will listen to music and focus almost entirely on movies. Except my brother of like tastes who said, “This ATMOS is made for music. Why even worry about the movies.”

Lastly we need to understand it is an emerging technology where they don’t have mixing mastered yet. Heck, many would say that about surround still. Many ATMOS movies are faked ATMOS like the duplicate stereo called surround. Most are just OK and only a few are perfect. Same with music. Will Abbey Road increase acceptance. Most likely but I’m more concerned that Giles’ hesitation to stretch the ATMOS wings may actually give basis to the naysayers. We need another Dark Side of the Moon that let Quad and surround be appreciated for what its potential is all about. Until then, let’s be a little more patient. Please first try some well-reviewed ATMOS material in a real ATMOS setup before making judgement. Don’t we ask that of Amazon reviews that are bashing before the product is even available?

The voice of reason...

Seems the youngins are discovering surround:

All to the good. (Now when are they planning to let the rest of us hear some of that eargasm-inducing music--beyond Abbey Road, I mean?)

Very impressive marketing propaganda. Like humprof says, there's got to be more than Abbey Road and a few other releases. Plus I don't want to pay $80 to $100 for every Atmos music release. Finally, I have to wonder how much of those "thousands of songs to be remixed into Atmos" will be simply upmixed stuff like much of the Silverline 5.1's. :unsure: So despite the magical Abbey Road Atmos release, I'll be biding my time to see if the music format truly takes off. (In the meantime, the wheels are turning on how to convert my system to Atmos if I want to take the dive.)

Very impressive marketing propaganda. Like humprof says, there's got to be more than Abbey Road and a few other releases. Plus I don't want to pay $80 to $100 for every Atmos music release. Finally, I have to wonder how much of those "thousands of songs to be remixed into Atmos" will be simply upmixed stuff like much of the Silverline 5.1's. :unsure: So despite the magical Abbey Road Atmos release, I'll be biding my time to see if the music format truly takes off. (In the meantime, the wheels are turning on how to convert my system to Atmos if I want to take the dive.)
I will continue to hope that more music is released in this new format such as the new Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - the Traveler. It has a great Atmos mix that I rate second to Abbey Road and above any others I’ve heard. And it sells for just $15 on Amazon! Nothing to complain about here!
It’s getting better everyday!
David H

Amazon Music HD is showing 5 albums available if you search for Dolby Atmos... I think this will increase by November 7 when the Echo Studio is released... R.E.M, The 2 Rhapsody rock opera albums, Hans Zimmer and they just added Kraftwerk 3D this week...

I’m not sure how you play the content yet - might need a Fire TV device?

There’s some gumpth online that newly remixed music by Marvin Gaye, Bastille and other artists have had the Dolby Atmos treatment. Looking forward to seeing what comes out...:phones

I'm a little surprised that "our group" is voicing these adverse opinions on an emerging technology.
There's always folks who don't like new technology.
Many think that Quad is superior to 5.1, vinyl is better than digital etc.
That's fine.
I've heard an excellent Atmos system in a friend's home and at the theater.
I love it.

If surround music hasn't caught on in the last 20 years (not to mention the quad years as well), why would it break through with Atmos?

This time it's different? Don't think so. We'll take what we can get, I guess, but I don't hold out much hope.

Amazon Music HD is showing 5 albums available if you search for Dolby Atmos... I think this will increase by November 7 when the Echo Studio is released... R.E.M, The 2 Rhapsody rock opera albums, Hans Zimmer and they just added Kraftwerk 3D this week...

I’m not sure how you play the content yet - might need a Fire TV device?

There’s some gumpth online that newly remixed music by Marvin Gaye, Bastille and other artists have had the Dolby Atmos treatment. Looking forward to seeing what comes out...:phones
It’s definitely worth watching and finding out more about the Amazon HD streaming. My Marantz SR 8012 has the HEOS service built into it. It appears to be the gate keeper of all Internet/network streaming for this receiver. According to a Denon FAQ
“With the addition of Amazon Music HD, you will now be able to play Ultra HD music on supported Marantz systems from the HEOS App when choosing Amazon Music. Ultra HD means at least 24-bit 48kHz and up to 192kHz, which means it sounds significantly better than most other streaming services.”
So I may be able to stream Atmos from Amazon HD straight through my receiver. They have a 90 day free trial period that I’ll try when they add more Atmos to their list.

If surround music hasn't caught on in the last 20 years (not to mention the quad years as well), why would it break through with Atmos?

This time it's different? Don't think so. We'll take what we can get, I guess, but I don't hold out much hope.
Agreed. But the next soundbar I get for my LR will be Atmos.
I have no intention of tearing into my theater\music room to do Atmos properly.
Perhaps in my retirement place but I won't be surprised if the people I sell my current house to, repurpose that room.
It's a big chunk of floor space.

Has anyone tried playing 2 channel music (upmixed) through Atmos? If so, can you share your opinions?

If by "upmixed" you mean using Neo:X Neural, Auro 2d, and other decoders, yeah. It widens (heightens?) the sound field, but is hardly discrete. Still, I prefer it to my previous 7.2 "upmixes" of stereo CDs. Whether that is a preference given the extra speakers involved or not, it makes up somewhat for the lack of Dolby Atmos mixes!

Has anyone tried playing 2 channel music (upmixed) through Atmos? If so, can you share your opinions?
If by "upmixed" you mean using Neo:X Neural, Auro 2d, and other decoders, yeah. It widens (heightens?) the sound field, but is hardly discrete. Still, I prefer it to my previous 7.2 "upmixes" of stereo CDs. Whether that is a preference given the extra speakers involved or not, it makes up somewhat for the lack of Dolby Atmos mixes!

I should have been clearer. What I mean is: What comes out when you feed a straight stereo source into Atmos? Does it spread the signal around the room like DPLIIx, L7 or Involve Surround Master? Or does it not recognize the signal as anything but stereo?

Back