WIFI outside

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene, not sure I'm thinking right on this, because my AT&T router I believe is also the modem, where as you say yours are separate. Remember about resetting the router with the tiny reset button on the back; well I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you hold that button down longer than say 6 seconds it can wipe out some of the logged settings. So just a thought, but say you had held down the reset a little too long like 8 seconds, that might have messed with some settings. Hopefully someone here with router knowledge can chime in here about that possibility.
Just brain storming.

How 'bout what type of service do you have; is it DSL or Cable or other? I remember reading that some cable systems have a type of shared pipeline service, and the more users online at once reduces the speed (just basically thinking out loud here.) Perhaps there could be some web pages that go though certain "regional internet hubs/concentrators" as DuncanS said; that are having problems.
Also, what operating system are you using and have installed an update recently i.e. Win. 10? Maybe you could roll back that last update a see if it helps. I've read that there have been some major problems with Microsoft's last update on Win. 10.
Reminded me of these DSL vs Cable commercials from way back when --- maybe your neighbor is a WEB HOG!!!

OK - home tonight. Everything described earlier is still the situation. My laptop is stupid slow....Roku is slow....all others fast. Haven't had time to call Mediascam. Earlier it was mentioned about my extender. It's not even connected, so that's not the issue.

Here's the thing. Mediacom will charge me to come out....clearly my modem (which is their's) works just fine. Something else is wrong, but I cannot fathom what it is. I'm screwed......

I just tried to watch a dumb video and it was so choppy, I couldn't even see it.

Gene, not sure I'm thinking right on this, because my AT&T router I believe is also the modem, where as you say yours are separate. Remember about resetting the router with the tiny reset button on the back; well I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you hold that button down longer than say 6 seconds it can wipe out some of the logged settings. So just a thought, but say you had held down the reset a little too long like 8 seconds, that might have messed with some settings. Hopefully someone here with router knowledge can chime in here about that possibility.
Just brain storming.
I've never done that. I simply unplug it and wait an hour and plug back in. Anyway, Mediacom reset the modem from their end and it made zero difference.

Hey GOS,

Sorry to read the throughput woes. I'm familiar with frustration with troubleshooting IT.

Silly question: have you put everything back EXACTLY to the previous config (eliminating unmanaged switch and AP)? All sounds like either a config issue or issues with the ISP service or throttling.

Reactions: GOS
Hey GOS,

Sorry to read the throughput woes. I'm familiar with frustration with troubleshooting IT.

Silly question: have you put everything back EXACTLY to the previous config (eliminating unmanaged switch and AP)? All sounds like either a config issue or issues with the ISP service or throttling.
Yes, everything is now back to my simple setup....and still.......

The speed issues I had experienced on my laptop briefly got back to normal....now they are back to mediocre speeds...totally unexplainable.

Here is the speed on my Dell laptop accessing Speedtest with browser.

1571704611869.png

Here is the speed on my Dell laptop accessing Speedtest with their app.

1571704743490.png

The speed issues I had experienced on my laptop briefly got back to normal....now they are back to mediocre speeds...totally unexplainable.

Here is the speed on my Dell laptop accessing Speedtest with browser.

View attachment 43638

Here is the speed on my Dell laptop accessing Speedtest with their app.

View attachment 43639
Its not that unusual to get different speeds depending on the test (I get around 50Mbps download and 10Mbps upload) but I also get wide variations in latency (the ping times) depending on the time of day. Your speed problem has to be something to do with your ISP if nothing else has changed with your PC.

Back