WIFI outside

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought, you swapped lots of cables. There should only be a single cable between your new switch and the main switch. 2 cables would cause 'some confusion' as you create a loop.

OK - so as many know, I have everything hooked up and working. Almost right away, I now notice my internet in the house is quite a bit slower. I don't understand this really. Inside, my laptop is hardwired directly to my router...which is hardwired directly to the modem. No change there.

Why would adding the switch and access point outside impact speed of my laptop?

I rebooted all my devices, and speeds are back to normal. :)

I'm back... :(

So, after having things up and running a few days, I now have this problem of dropped wifi signal. Both inside and outside. Never, ever happened until I installed the access point. So, what gives? I have no doubt it's due to the installation of the access point, but it sort of defeats the purpose if spotty performance is the result. There must be a setting that needs tweaked, but I would have no clue what it is.

Recall, it was all plug and play. There really were no opportunities for me to type in any wrong settings as there was nothing to type. (other than a password)

I should also note that sometimes, I will be outside connected to the access point (which has a different name) and I'll look 5 minutes later and I'm connected to my router in the house. So, things seem to be interfering with each other and switching connection without me telling it to.

I'm back... :(

So, after having things up and running a few days, I now have this problem of dropped wifi signal. Both inside and outside. Never, ever happened until I installed the access point. So, what gives? I have no doubt it's due to the installation of the access point, but it sort of defeats the purpose if spotty performance is the result. There must be a setting that needs tweaked, but I would have no clue what it is.

Recall, it was all plug and play. There really were no opportunities for me to type in any wrong settings as there was nothing to type. (other than a password)

I should also note that sometimes, I will be outside connected to the access point (which has a different name) and I'll look 5 minutes later and I'm connected to my router in the house. So, things seem to be interfering with each other and switching connection without me telling it to.
What is happening is that your phone/tablet/laptop is in effect always searching for the strongest signal, so say you walk past the window it might lose the signal from the access point and therefore link to the wi-fi in the house. Its a bit like how your mobile/cell phone works when it switches between basestations as you drive along. There is also radio fading/multipath where the signal will vary, depending on such things as wind, people moving about, whether a vehicle drives past etc. this causes the wi-fi signal strength to fluctuate (it even happens inside), so you can lose one signal and connect to the other.

I just purchased this exact same set-up, thanks GOS for asking the question and for those who suggested the devices. I hooked mine up this evening, and I now have terrific Wifi at my pool outside, and also on the opposite end of my house.

So far I haven't seen the issues of dropped wifi signal, but will keep a look out and report back. Perhaps you should turn off the setting for Auto-Join for each of your wifi network signals. That might prevent you from switching as you roam around, or some other weird things are going on. To get to that setting on my iPad I go to Settings, select the info button on the network (it's the lowercase 'i' in a circle to the right of the signal meter), the you'll see a "Auto-Join" switch, turn it off. Hope this fixes it.

With all this talk about Wi Fi outside I wonder how everyone is seeing what they do outside in the bright sunshine. How do you pick a title if you can't see the screen.

First off, I need to make it clear that I do have a heavy dose of self-deprecating humor.......that said....

I swear, if something were to go wrong and be confusing...it will happen to me. OK, got that off my chest. :hi

So - my latest drama is that when playing my music via the network (through Foobar app), it will play about 1/4 of the song....then I get an error, and it skips to the next song. Plays about 1/4, error, next song. More specifically, I'm talking about through my iphone, utilizing wifi via the access point outside. Visibly, the signal is perfect.....and anyway, only 5-8 feet away from the access point. WTF??

I've had so many "bugs" with performance ever since I installed this AP.

So - my latest drama is that when playing my music via the network (through Foobar app), it will play about 1/4 of the song....then I get an error, and it skips to the next song. Plays about 1/4, error, next song. More specifically, I'm talking about through my iphone, utilizing wifi via the access point outside. Visibly, the signal is perfect.....and anyway, only 5-8 feet away from the access point. WTF??

Ahh, the joys of wireless!

I'm not sure this will help since your phone is so close to the access point, but you might want to check if you're fighting with a neighbor or two over a single wireless channel. There are apps you can load on your phone that will tell you which channels are in use or congested. If you find you're on the same channel as someone else nearby, you should be able to switch to another channel. Not that I can tell you how, since that's going to be specific to your hardware.

Wireless routers usually have an option to automatically detect the least crowded channel and switch when necessary, but I've repeatedly read claims that it doesn't work very well. I don't have an opinion one way or another whether or not that's real world true or just Internet "true".

Reactions: GOS
I'm having some bizarre issues with my internet speed. Of course, I use Speedtest.net to check my speeds. For several hours, all I'm getting is about 9 Mbps download. While I was on Speedtest, they had a link to download their app to use on your desktop. In other words, I don't have to launch a browser to utilize speedtest.

Using the app, I'm getting 80 Mbps download. (that's my usual speed)

What does this mean? How do I fix it?

Me too - LOL 😝 sometimes I like to blame the service provider for maintenance periods or maybe they’re throttling your data for some reason 🤷‍♂️

But...

Speedtest via browser = 9Mbs
Speedtest via laptop app = 80Mbs

I mean, both methods have to connect to "internet" to measure speed, correct?

Last edited:
If you log-in to your router you will see your connection speed, which is the maximum that can be achieved.

In the UK I'm with BT and my router says max. download of 51.23Mb/s and an upload of 9.48Mb/s, if I run the first speed test shown by a Bing search I get 39.9Mb/s & 11.53Mb/s respectively, with a ping response of 1ms, I then ran broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk and got 44.02Mb/s & 8.76Mb/s with a ping time latency of 14ms (it is not consistent and displayed results from 25Mb/s -about 46Mb/s and an initial latency of 20ms). The difference can be down to many things, the amount of traffic going through the regional internet hubs/concentrators, the number of people using the speed test server or what ever site you're accessing (some are mirrored in different regions to speed this up), and the contention ratio on your internet link. So an internet link is shared amongst many users, and your provider will charge you accordingly, business links are often 1:20, home users are 1:100 or more, this affects perceived speed and the actual latency on the connection. So why some web pages take ages to be shown is down to traffic through internet hubs, server hits and the contention ratio. The speed you see with a test or an app is a snapshot and doesn't show the overall 'picture'.

Back