Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say that I'm that surprised, but I'm also not that disappointed either.

This year has been mostly disappointing (with a few exceptions like the Tangerine Dream box set) but now that it's September, we're FINALLY starting to get some really good things rolling in ("Abbey Road", "Psurroundabout Ride", "Stormwatch", "Afraid of Sunlight", "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", etc.) so not only is there no longer a shortage of good releases coming, but since the Doobies Quad mixes have already been released (albeit on less-than-ideal archaic formats) I'd rather spend my money on the stuff that isn't available yet in surround sound (like the aforementioned titles) and wait until a less hectic time to release the Doobies Quadio set (like Spring or Summer 2020)

It's too bad Steve can't do anything about "The Seeds of Love" though (since that's a Universal release)

:oops:

Maybe we haven't bought enough of the (2019) live release to make them think its worth releasing the Quads

Although I’m an old **** these days I’m not particularly interested in buying concerts to watch other old ****s perform, no matter who they are. I have The Doobies Wolf Trap BDV from 2004, I don’t need to see The Doobies 15 years later. I’d much prefer to see something on video from the seventies:eek:r eighties.

I won’t buy their 2019 concert but I’d buy their Quadio in a heartbeat.

BTW: Their ‘Listen to the Music’ is song is being used in AU right now in a TV ad. I bet that will give a Doobie sales spike on Spotify, iTunes etc. A fair bit of chorus harmony upmixed out the rears. They should have used the Quad mix though!

Although I’m an old **** these days I’m not particularly interested in buying concerts to watch other old ****s perform, no matter who they are. I have The Doobies Wolf Trap BDV from 2004, I don’t need to see The Doobies 15 years later. I’d much prefer to see something on video from the seventies:eek:r eighties.

I won’t buy their 2019 concert but I’d buy their Quadio in a heartbeat.

BTW: Their ‘Listen to the Music’ is song is being used in AU right now in a TV ad. I bet that will give a Doobie sales spike on Spotify, iTunes etc. A fair bit of chorus harmony upmixed out the rears. They should have used the Quad mix though!
Totally agree, Homer. Not interested in paying for a BDA of old fart Doobies in lieu of pristine, hires quad releases of their classic albums. It’s a no brainer.

Listened/watched the DB's Beacon Theatre today, great musicianship, nice arrangements, good sound, but don't buy it for the surround mix, I thought it was stereo until I stuck my head by a rear speaker!

Listened/watched the DB's Beacon Theatre today, great musicianship, nice arrangements, good sound, but don't buy it for the surround mix, I thought it was stereo until I stuck my head by a rear speaker!
I saw their show last Dec. at The Sands in Bethlehem, PA and it was a damn fine performance from the playing and the set list right down to the live sound quality. Even bought a t-shirt. That being said, I have no urge to buy this latest live offering. I have many live discs that I play once or twice and they go on the shelf, never to be heard from again. I think RT's theory is a good one, and we will indeed see a DB Quadio release in the first half of next year. I hope!

....I have no urge to buy this latest live offering. I have many live discs that I play once or twice and they go on the shelf, never to be heard from again....

That describes pretty much every live disc I own which begs the question “ why do I buy them?”
I also believe this Quadio set will emerge eventually

I saw their show last Dec. at The Sands in Bethlehem, PA and it was a damn fine performance from the playing and the set list right down to the live sound quality. Even bought a t-shirt. That being said, I have no urge to buy this latest live offering. I have many live discs that I play once or twice and they go on the shelf, never to be heard from again. I think RT's theory is a good one, and we will indeed see a DB Quadio release in the first half of next year. I hope!
I have only seen them once supporting Foreigner about 21-22 years ago in Cardiff, they were great and IMHO better than Foreigner live. I'm the same with live albums/DVDs/BDs I often wonder why I bought them they're never as good as being there, I stopped buying T-shirts when I realised I never wore them, and were often bought at festivals after consuming too much ale!

I have only seen them once supporting Foreigner about 21-22 years ago in Cardiff, they were great and IMHO better than Foreigner live. I'm the same with live albums/DVDs/BDs I often wonder why I bought them they're never as good as being there, I stopped buying T-shirts when I realised I never wore them, and were often bought at festivals after consuming too much ale!
Because, you just might stumble across one like this:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...surround-volume-2.20127/page-1096#post-446115But then, that's one reason we're all here, for guidance.

I will prefer to remain optimistic and still hope we will see this eventually, but I agree with Jonathon and say, sadly, they for sure don't give a shit about us,
But I did spring for the beacon set, haven't watched the dvd yet but the cd's of the show are excellent, performance- outstanding, sonics-excellent, separation - not bad, upmix possibility -maybe. I'm happy with the purchase.

I’d be far cheerier if that while the Doobies set is moth balled, Rhino set a date for James Taylor, Joni, Gordon, or Carly, or anything. Just throw us a quadio bone once in a while fer fuks sake. I’m sure Purple would be willing to consider “Burn” as a special edition like Stormbringer got (in the UK). Burn is 45 years this year btw! A big hit album there too.

Last edited:
A few days ago, I sent a brief note to Rhino's "contact us" link asking about the status of the Doobie Brothers release. Unfortunately, all I received was a polite and generic response regarding delays in shipping products:

"due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven't been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on. /SNIP/ We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay"

There was also some language regarding follow up for any really pressing problems, but I didn't bother.

could we change the title of this. Every time I see a new post, I get false hope. Please get rid of the YES (2020) unless someone has a believable guarantee.
I loved what Rhino did for quad. The quadio series was literally music to my ears.

could we change the title of this. Every time I see a new post, I get false hope. Please get rid of the YES (2020) unless someone has a believable guarantee.

I'm pretty sure that if/when there is a release date announced the title will be edited to reflect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back