Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
like sjcorne said above the blu ray is fairly easily converted into a dvda. i convert em all for play in my car. You are unfortunately missing out on a number of stellar releases and i would have to humbly challenge the claim that dvd-audio and sacd are more popular formats than Blu-ray.

I don't know about the term popularity but SACD does remain the champ with well over 10K releases to date not to mention those which are OOP.

like sjcorne said above the blu ray is fairly easily converted into a dvda. i convert em all for play in my car. You are unfortunately missing out on a number of stellar releases and i would have to humbly challenge the claim that dvd-audio and sacd are more popular formats than Blu-ray.

To that end, you could get a USB BluRay drive for a PC or laptop and convert all music BluRays to DVD-A or DTS CD, whatever you need. There's one on Amazon for $60!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773QMZ7...PO&pd_rd_r=B2GB8401SA5HGXCTHV6M&pd_rd_w=qQtN8

To that end, you could get a USB BluRay drive for a PC or laptop and convert all music BluRays to DVD-A or DTS CD, whatever you need. There's one on Amazon for $60!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773QMZ7...PO&pd_rd_r=B2GB8401SA5HGXCTHV6M&pd_rd_w=qQtN8

I suppose that's a better idea. I've never had any luck doing DVD-A's, so, that sounds like a better route for me. Or, at least will give me a little kick in the bum to learn how to do them properly. You've given me food for thought. Thanks, Jon!

I suppose that's a better idea. I've never had any luck doing DVD-A's, so, that sounds like a better route for me. Or, at least will give me a little kick in the bum to learn how to do them properly. You've given me food for thought. Thanks, Jon!
There are several topics on QQ about ripping blu rays or any kind of disc. And as a lot of people already went this route, we can always help you out. A lot of great mixes are waiting for you Q. :)

It's a long, long thread....do we have a projected release date yet? That's what I am looking for. Thanks.
Valid question, since this was an answer I got recently on mail:

We do not have current plans for this release [Doobies quadio set], but thank you for your input.

I will forward your message to our suggestion box.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino

Valid question, since this was an answer I got recently on mail:

We do not have current plans for this release [Doobies quadio set], but thank you for your input.

I will forward your message to our suggestion box.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino

Huh. That sounds like a "no" to me.

Hi Jon!
Someone else asked about a Various Artists release and the main issue would be getting coupling consent from all the artists on a package like that.
The Loss Leaders were technically promotional/marketing tools sold to cover manufacturing costs with the artists & publishers not receiving compensation, etc. to (hopefully) sell represented product.

Well, I love the idea but can't imagine it ever happening.

Back to your Doobie thread...

Hi Jon!
Someone else asked about a Various Artists release and the main issue would be getting coupling consent from all the artists on a package like that.
The Loss Leaders were technically promotional/marketing tools sold to cover manufacturing costs with the artists & publishers not receiving compensation, etc. to (hopefully) sell represented product.

Well, I love the idea but can't imagine it ever happening.

Back to your Doobie thread...

Thanks for the reply and for looking Steve. I figured it would be a logistics nightmare, especially with the way licensing and royalties have evolved these days. I thought it would be something retro that would be cool, and since Audio Fidelity did something like this, that you guys might be able to pull it off. It's just a shame that there really are quite a few WEA quad titles in the vaults that will never have a prayer of being released for real but may have a track or two that do merit being "rescued". Oh well, we still have our CD-4, Q8 and Q4 sources to preserve and save. It's just so much nicer to get an official release that is free from the bonds of the older technologies that prevent approaching the quality of a modern reissue.

But alas, at least we can all wait patiently for the long train that's a coming!

Another idea for Steve (Sure, I'm being a pain here with these idea's), but how about this: Why not release this Doobies QUADIO Box as a USB Audio Stick as well as on a BluRay disc? The new Acura line with the Elliot Scheiner ELS 3D audio system will play 5.1/4.0 from a USB stick in either .flac or .wav format. You could market this variation to Acura through mail order or Acura dealerships, and maybe move to sell a Rhino Handmade line of 5.1/4.0 USB sticks geared toward the auto market. Maybe more auto makers would employ this USB 5.1 technology, as it's not tied to a soon-to-be-obsolete or incompatible disc format. And after all, it's been done (in stereo) before:

Beatles.jpg

IMHO (Here I go again), WB/Rhino missed a good opportunity with their DVD-A product by not marketing the discs through Acura dealers. So many players out there on the road and the only disc they probably ever played was the WB Sampler DVD-A that used to come with the cars.

Maybe Panasonic/Acura/ELS could underwrite part of the program to get some titles on USB sticks? Heck, it's a market, and these days, it's not easy to find a market.

I'm sure this is another "nice" idea that has no chance of fruition, but what the hell, we can suggest, right?

Last edited:
Another idea for Steve (Sure, I'm being a pain here with these idea's), but how about this: Why not release this Doobies QUADIO Box as a USB Audio Stick as well as on a BluRay disc? The new Acura line with the Elliot Scheiner ELS 3D audio system will play 5.1/4.0 from a USB stick in either .flac or .wav format. You could market this variation to Acura through mail order or Acura dealerships, and maybe move to sell a Rhino Handmade line of 5.1/4.0 USB sticks geared toward the auto market. Maybe more auto makers would employ this USB 5.1 technology, as it's not tied to a soon-to-be-obsolete or incompatible disc format. And after all, it's been done (in stereo) before:

View attachment 32618

IMHO (Here I go again), WB/Rhino missed a good opportunity with their DVD-A product by not marketing the discs through Acura dealers. So many players out there on the road and the only disc they probably ever played was the WB Sampler DVD-A that used to come with the cars.

Maybe Panasonic/Acura/ELS could underwrite part of the program to get some titles on USB sticks? Heck, it's a market, and these days, it's not easy to find a market.

I'm sure this is another "nice" idea that has no chance of fruition, but what the hell, we can suggest, right?

I like that idea too, and I'm definitely in support of that idea if Rhino would do that for the 4 Fleetwood Mac 5.1 surround mixes, so we can hear them in full lossless audio quality. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it would have a better chance if Rhino had any assurances other manufacturers would join in, without any added expense to their sound systems (beyond the right speakers in the right places, that is, and that's pretty close to where they are anyway..). Otherwise, the tag line is, "Now, exclusively on all 20XX models - a technology you don't care about, and nobody else is doing it anyway". Remember, Accura's target demographic is not "sound nerds who wouldn't think of considering the Accura if they weren;t tossing in this for free". It's, "bastards who have no qualms making money off of people just so they can tool around town in a better car than the riff-raff could ever afford - suck it losers-!". Or, "the car your wife can take in the divorce settlement, so she won't think twice about the jewelry you all ready gave your girlfriend".

View attachment 32618

Exellent idea Jon.

Hopefully Acura already has a Usb 5.1 sampler when this new RDX comes out as that would be very cool but I am not counting on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back