HiRez Poll XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I've read other comments on the forum that imply that this release shouldn't be rated so highly because of its content. After all, its not a bona fide classic like Abbey Road, DSOTM, Brothers in Arms, Eye in the Sky...

In my case, I had never heard any Dukes before at all. But in a way, I'd heard all of it before whenever I listened to early Floyd/Syd, Byrds, Beatles, Beach Boys, Zombies, Strawberry Alarm. Tommy James, and probably a dozen other early British and American Psychedelic pop groups. It's awesome to find a "new' release like this.

I stand by my 10

Last edited:
Surround 10 (3)
Good thing I am listening to this near Christmas because all I can say is Ho Ho Holy Shit is this an adventure. The songs come at you playfully from every angle.

Audio 9 (2.7)
The sound is full with a few bright spots as others have commented on.

Content 7 (2.1)
I'm not a huge fan of psychedelic music so this will likely hit rotation most often to demonstrate what surround can bring to the table.

Package 9 (.9)
So much material jammed on the BR. This is the benchmark for value, shame the XTC releases doesn't come packaged like Tull and Marillion. -1 because I am greedy but know it won't detract from the overall rating.

I understand how people fret over the proliferation of 9 and 10 ratings, but if you judge this release fairly against the suggested values, how can it be anything else? Not being a psych fan and I still give this a 8.7 rounded to 9 because it is so much fun to listen to.

If you need to feed your XTC jones (or "lift [your] spirits during lockdown"), Andy Partridge is giving away "Cavegirl," a demo track from the abandoned 1993 project The 12 Flavors of Hercules. (Read all about it at Chalkhills, Dangerous Minds, and the Phoenix New Times--about halfway through the story. ) A handful of other songs from the project have made it out under different guises, including "Tin Toy Clockwork Train," on Psurroundabout Ride.

"Cavegirl" is not a great track, and Steven Wilson hasn't touched it, but it's free, the download includes both mp3 and 24-bit versions, and it's XTC. Or rather, it's XTC as "The Candy Coat Hook," an imaginary late-60s bubblegum band.

12fhlogo1.jpg

https://burningshed.com/formats/formats_freedownloads/andy-partridge_cavegirl_free-download

Last edited:
Gave it a 9, for the awesome surround mix. Gotta say, in terms of the material, that it bordered on cynical parody at times, more like The Rutles or Spinal Tap. I'm getting over it, but especially the one that took the piss out of "I'm Only Sleeping" annoyed me. There's a thin red line between homage and parody and it got crossed a few times. I revere Syd Barrett, John Lennon, Brian Wilson, et al so maybe I'm being too sensitive about the whole thing. I'll keep listening.

Gave it a 9, for the awesome surround mix. Gotta say, in terms of the material, that it bordered on cynical parody at times, more like The Rutles or Spinal Tap. I'm getting over it, but especially the one that took the piss out of "I'm Only Sleeping" annoyed me. There's a thin red line between homage and parody and it got crossed a few times. I revere Syd Barrett, John Lennon, Brian Wilson, et al so maybe I'm being too sensitive about the whole thing. I'll keep listening.
Mole from the ministry a come pastiche of the moles, we are the moles, who were Simon Dupree and became Gentle Giant.

Its a very clever homage rather than a parody I think.

What a trip this is! The Dukes were created by Partridge to be the best psychedelic '60s band that never existed, fuelled by his and David Gregory's love of the music of that era and enabled by John Leckie's amazing production. They had very aggressive timescales for recording and rules to limit the number of takes and tried (and succeeded) to use the studio to maximum effect to create an imaginative, expansive soundscape, with bands like early Pink Floyd (think "See Emily Play") and (obviously) The Beatles in mind. And they had immense fun doing it: That comes across in boatloads in this record, or I should say records.

Add Steven Wilson into the equation and you have a dream recipe for a surround mix. (Incidentally, a mate of mine who also lives in Swindon and knows Partridge swears that he met him one morning on a train and Andy asked him if he knew of a "Steven Wilson" and if he thought he would be any good at remixing their material in 5.1. You know the rest... Not sure if it's true, but it's a great anecdote at a party!)

Predictably, Steven Wilson's 5.1 remix of The Dukes of Stratosphear is astonishingly good. If you have a half decent surround system and like '60s psychodelia (or just damned good production and surround mixes) then this 2019 reissues of both albums is essential material
He takes the the original studio effects laden production and creates something entirely fitting.

All of his remixes have been good, but this one is *really* special. The whole idea of a '60 psychedelia homage gives him a license to have fun, and the massive amount of depth that went into the original recordings gives him everything he needs to do it. It's a match made in heaven and you cal really tell he enjoyed doing the mix.

Could this be Steven Wilson's finest re-mix? 😲

Easy 10. I would rate it 11 if I could.

What a trip this is! The Dukes were created by Partridge to be the best psychedelic '60s band that never existed, fuelled by his and David Gregory's love of the music of that era and enabled by John Leckie's amazing production. They had very aggressive timescales for recording and rules to limit the number of takes and tried (and succeeded) to use the studio to maximum effect to create an imaginative, expansive soundscape, with bands like early Pink Floyd (think "See Emily Play") and (obviously) The Beatles in mind. And they had immense fun doing it: That comes across in boatloads in this record, or I should say records.

Add Steven Wilson into the equation and you have a dream recipe for a surround mix. (Incidentally, a mate of mine who also lives in Swindon and knows Partridge swears that he met him one morning on a train and Andy asked him if he knew of a "Steven Wilson" and if he thought he would be any good at remixing their material in 5.1. You know the rest... Not sure if it's true, but it's a great anecdote at a party!)

Predictably, Steven Wilson's 5.1 remix of The Dukes of Stratosphear is astonishingly good. If you have a half decent surround system and like '60s psychodelia (or just damned good production and surround mixes) then this 2019 reissues of both albums is essential material
He takes the the original studio effects laden production and creates something entirely fitting.

All of his remixes have been good, but this one is *really* special. The whole idea of a '60 psychedelia homage gives him a license to have fun, and the massive amount of depth that went into the original recordings gives him everything he needs to do it. It's a match made in heaven and you cal really tell he enjoyed doing the mix.

Could this be Steven Wilson's finest re-mix? 😲

Easy 10. I would rate it 11 if I could.
Couldn’t agree more, Neil. I remember when this release was still a pre-order and I wanted to get an idea what we were in store for. Once I listened to it in stereo via Amazon Music, I knew without a doubt that it was going to be a fantastic Steven Wilson remix. Wilson’s done some very impressive surround mixes and this one is one of his best!

Couldn’t agree more, Neil. I remember when this release was still a pre-order and I wanted to get an idea what we were in store for. Once I listened to it in stereo via Amazon Music, I knew without a doubt that it was going to be a fantastic Steven Wilson remix. Wilson’s done some very impressive surround mixes and this one is one of his best!
a couple of years ago I bought the original recordings on cd and after listening to them I was hoping for a 5.1 remix. I was not disappointed.

I haven't voted yet - as I'm struggling a bit on the music - which is perplexing to me. Mix is - well Steve Wilson. I love XTC - and every SW mix is a 10. I'm a huge 60's psych. fan (Beatles, PF) so this should be in theory a perfect match for me. Will keep listening and vote soon. Mix = 10

Back