HiRez Poll XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
10. This is the best release yet in the 'Surround Sound Series' (which is saying something) and a strong contender for the best surround mix Steven's ever done (which is really saying something). The material is perfectly suited for this treatment, and every track has both wide channel separation and fun surround effects/flourishes that take full advantage of the endless possibilities multichannel has to offer.

Take for instance, "The Mole From The Ministry" - On the original mix, the voices slowly move from left to right until the chorus. On the surround mix, the voices go all the way around the room starting in FL and ending in RR.

The opening of "25 O'Clock" features the ticking clock bouncing diagonally from FR to RL as the other alarms slowly fade in from all corners - kinda reminds me a bit of the intro to Pink Floyd's "Time".

In general, the rears are loaded with backing vocals, keys, rhythm guitar, and all kinds of wacky sound effects. As with the other XTC releases, it's fun to solo the rears and just hear Colin's harmony parts.

"The Mole From The Ministry":
View attachment 43709

"Vanishing Girl" (yep, the lead guitar is in left rear :)):
View attachment 43708

This was absolutely worth the nearly two year wait. Here's hoping we get English Settlement and Mummer in the not-so-distant future...
Couldn’t have said it any better, Jonathan.

I’d never heard the Dukes until it was announced that it was the next in the XTC surround releases. I then downloaded it and gave it a few listens. I immediately liked the songs and strongly felt they presented a prime canvas for Wilson’s surround magic. And boy, did he deliver the goods. Dayum! One of the easiest 10s or me.

First a shout out to Mike from Life in Surround for letting me vent at him. Thanks man!

XTC for me is a group I have not acquired a taste for. I know they are talented, they are well recorded in surround but this is a group that I do not see myself getting attached to. I am not sure what it is about them and will leave it out that.

So I listened to the Dukes and by the third song I felt I had enough. Yes Steven Wilson did a great job of recording this and it is one of the better surrounds I have heard in a long time. XTC homage to the sixties is a novel concept. I heard the hollies, the Who, Beatles, Beach Boys and even the mothers. So I decided to start all over so I lower my center channel which helped balance out the sound I was hearing and once passed the third song I actually started to enjoy most of it. I would consider this a fun CD. Would I listened to this again? I believe I might for great surround sound and a pretty cool concept. Considering I started off really disliking this I am glad I listened to the rest . I am giving it a 9

Been collecting surround mixes for almost a decade.
This goes right to the top of the pile (and it's such a shame Mr Wilson didn't get to unleash the madness on Mansun's 'Six', the one I was most looking forward to earlier in the year).

I've been listening to Super Furry Animals' 'Guerilla' 20th anniversary reissue today, and it'd be great if SW thought about tackling everything from Fuzzy Logic up to Mwng.

Never heard the content before getting this. Played the stereo in the car a few times to get a feel for the music and found it pretty interesting and nostalgic. When I finally got to hear the surround mix, I was anticipating something special, and I wasn't disappointed. The mix is a stunner. An easy 10.

Still can't vote on this yet. This has not passed the family listening test the way Abbey Road did. I have been asked to skip certain songs for being shrill. (put down the pitchforks and torches). I'll listen a few more times and vote.
Yeah I was going to mention that the fidelity is not quite as good as the mix. YMMV

I come from a different perspective maybe. I was a BIG XTC fan at the time these albums were released, but I overlooked the Dukes releases for the most part, dismissing them as a frolic and not really being old enough to be familiar enough with 60s British psychedelic music to get all the references. I owned the albums but didn’t play them much at all.

but as others have said, this music is made for surround and Wilson’s mix does not disappoint. Plus, I’m much more familiar with this genre now than I was 30 years ago. So I can really appreciate how much the boys nailed it.

anyone who loves 60s psychedelic should own this to help make up for all the “real” stuff we will likely never get in surround. It’s a must for XTC fans obviously.

the mix is a little too bright in spots. “Little Lighthouse” is hurting my ears. But I’m not going to knock off a whole point for this. This is a “10”.

I’d never heard of TDoS prior to the XTC series, and I’d never heard this album prior listening to this wonderful Steven Wilson surround mix. Steven has really nailed this one. I’m very pleased this mix is more adventurous than his usual formula and it works perfectly for this music. Bravo Steven! More!

I voted 10. Possibly one of the greatest rock mixes for surround I have ever heard. All kinds of gimmicks, miscellaneous vocals and noise and things swirling around. Fidelity was superb. I could definately hear The Beatles, The Beach Boys,The fog horn I swear is from The Steve Miller Band You Tube Link.
Great disc and all the demos and instrumentals and stuff are really good.

Gave a 9 as the surround mix is excellent but the material is not my favorite-need to keep listening as lots going on.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon. (Carousel?) I'm always wary of "grade inflation" (even though I indulge in it, myself), and we do seem to be a pretty liberal lot when it comes to doling out "10s," especially in recent years. But unless you really don't dig the music, it's hard to argue with all of the superlatives people are awarding to this release. Certainly right up there with Wilson's best work; possibly at the pinnacle. I'm sure this one would win the QQ Grammy.

Back