Yikes! Supersax! Largibus Buckibus!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think of this tape very often, but I do recall it was abundant in the 8-track cut-out bins of the early '80s. Didn't realize it would be investment material at the time. :eek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERSAX-P...529611?hash=item287808b9cb:g:~HAAAOSw04Zcg0yv

A classic of the genre, Jon ....... Now under the UMG banner .......wonder if D~V could access those masters?

No offense to Q8 lovers ..... but imagine how many D~V QUAD 2~fers one could buy for that kind of ridiculous mullah?

Last edited:
A classic of the genre, Jon ....... Now under the UMG banner .......wonder if D~V could access those masters?

There sure are some interesting Capitol Q8's out there. I recall back in 2010 that Bob Vosigen told me that he did have access to the non-Beatles stuff, so the masters must be out there somewhere. I did ask him about the first Ringo album, and if the quad master was something he discovered in his searching, but he never replied to me about that one.

Freaking bean counters. Who knows what kind of great stuff we were going to get from Rhino if that program wasn't squashed at birth. :mad:

That seller has been all over eBay recently with some.... 2008-priced tapes.
Yes, the tapes are rare but sorry, they're not investment worthy anymore. That bloom has gone off.
I think I got my copy for $40.

The tape is Canadian so it might sound a little better than the US version. Many US capital quads that I purchased back in the day had a very slight popping sound in the background that was only noticeable between songs and at very quiet parts. Still too much money though.

That anticuria company seems to have been consigned the inventory of 8-track-shack.com, the biggest price gouger for quad 8-tracks on the internet.

I remember finding that site some years back and being excited, like "wow, 700 quad tapes for sale!" and then you look at their prices ($40 for common tapes, $200+ for anything really notable) and you can see why they've amassed such a large inventory - with prices like that they were hardly selling anything.

So glad that what AF did, and D-V are doing, with their quad SACD reissues has ripped the bottom out of much of this kind of profiteering.

The tape is Canadian so it might sound a little better than the US version. Many US capital quads that I purchased back in the day had a very slight popping sound in the background that was only noticeable between songs and at very quiet parts. Still too much money though.

I don't remember specifically on which Capitol USA Grand Funk tape it was present (probably WAAB or S'O, not ATG) when i worked the recorded tape for digital conversion that there was a float on very low frequency that had never seen before on other tapes, so i've looked for it and it was a 3Hz noise, constant for all the tape and both programs.
Filtered it out and there you go... but the question on WHY it was present, and it was unique, puzzled me for a while, when i saw on a old 8-track fan page the story and evolution of Ampex 8 track duplicators and by 1973 they were going 20x realtime duplication.

Guess what? a 60Hz hum into the duplicator chain that was running at 20x speed. Back at realtime speed, 3Hz. Talk about quality control...

I don't remember specifically on which Capitol USA Grand Funk tape it was present (probably WAAB or S'O, not ATG) when i worked the recorded tape for digital conversion that there was a float on very low frequency that had never seen before on other tapes, so i've looked for it and it was a 3Hz noise, constant for all the tape and both programs.
Filtered it out and there you go... but the question on WHY it was present, and it was unique, puzzled me for a while, when i saw on a old 8-track fan page the story and evolution of Ampex 8 track duplicators and by 1973 they were going 20x realtime duplication.

Guess what? a 60Hz hum into the duplicator chain that was running at 20x speed. Back at realtime speed, 3Hz. Talk about quality control...
Off hand the ones that I can remember were Eric Burdon's Sun Secrets, Babe Ruth, Steve Miller's Fly like an Eagle and at least one Grand Funk Railroad like you mentioned.

Don't have the first two and never converted the third. Good to know...

I have this American and there is no problem with it. And it is much more discrete than the above description IMO.

Back