Is it too early to speculate on the next batch of King Crimson 5.1 releases?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G E

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I have the first three in house and enjoy every one of them. They are in regular rotation on weekends. It was mentioned at one point that the next batch would be out in March 2010. Any hints as to what is coming next?

And since we are on the topic of things related to KC, has there been any thoughts about a surround mix for the recording McDonald & Giles or early PFM (Sinfield connection)?

:51banana:

Well, we know that Discipline has been done since that is the first that Steve Wilson took to remix. Thought I read Thrack (sp?) was in the queue also....Lark's Tounge in Apsic is a must do ..IMHO. John S.

The issue with doing related albums (Photos Of Ghosts!) is who controls the album masters? So far, these fall outside the direct Crim/Fripp sphere and none of these are available on a US label these days, so the detective work and clearances probably make that nearly impossible. Were they to be distributed by Discipline DGM in the future maybe. One of Fripp's recent diary entries mentions that Steve and Jakko have taken on the remixing task for almost no money at all and Fripp is supplying the masters. Doesn't look good outside of that.

As long as I can get the KC catalog DVDA titles eventually I don't care when they appear or in which order.

Last edited:
I would bet that we'll see BEAT and THRAK as the next two titles.

Will be very interesting to see what is bonus material on a Beat DVD-A. That was a pretty short album, rushed recording before playing much if any of the material live beforehand and there was no no leftover (non-LP tracks) material because they used everything they had!

It was a great concert at The Greek Theatre in 1982.

So...
Are all the rest of the releases going to have the "castrated" 48/24 5.1 mixes , or by the glory of Odin , are they going to have some in glorious cillia tingling 96/24???

So...
Are all the rest of the releases going to have the "castrated" 48/24 5.1 mixes , or by the glory of Odin , are they going to have some in glorious cillia tingling 96/24???

Isn't there a "special" thread for people to argue over these things?

Paging ssully, paging ssully....E5150....approach with caution...

Huh?
Do you have anything against me?
Have I insulted you and told you or implied you're a psycho?
I surely don't have anything against you or anybody else in this forum...except for spammers and Jon takes care of them
I may respect you more if you were constructive , but all of your posts are not-actually they are mostly mean ...and I don't see any conversions done by you anywhere!

Leave me alone, I am just asking a question...

Thrak is currently being mixed by Jakko Jakszyk.

J. D.

It's done, and waiting for Robert's approval.
LTIA is done too, as is Discipline, Beat & Islands.
We're about to start the mastering on the next batch to be authored, although there are no release dates set as yet.

Huh?
Do you have anything against me?
Have I insulted you and told you or implied you're a psycho?
I surely don't have anything against you or anybody else in this forum...except for spammers and Jon takes care of them
I may respect you more if you were constructive , but all of your posts are not-actually they are mostly mean ...and I don't see any conversions done by you anywhere!

Leave me alone, I am just asking a question...

I don't do conversions. I don't even own any Quad equipment.

The KC releases sound fine in 48/24 and I'm sure if 24/96 was that much better Wilson would use it. I don't see the need to imply that the 24/48 is an inferior product.

Who is arguing here?

Please check the title of the thread
"Is it too early to speculate on the next batch of King Crimson 5.1 releases?"

Speculate!

I would call it argumentative to call the first 3 discs "castrated." A lot of good people put a lot of hard work into these and I think your statement was rude. Speculate would be 'gee, do you think the next batch will be 48/24 or will they bump it up to 49/24?'

I would call it argumentative to call the first 3 discs "castrated." A lot of good people put a lot of hard work into these and I think your statement was rude. Speculate would be 'gee, do you think the next batch will be 48/24 or will they bump it up to 49/24?'

If you really think that I would insult or try to have an argument because of me calling it "castrated", your perception of sarcastic humor is very different from mine and of most people I deal with.
My posts are mostly "tongue in cheek", and it was pretty obvious by the other content included in it; "By the power of Odin" and "cillia tigling" are terms not found in serious comments, much less from a person trying to start an argument. maybe a :) might have helped...
I really enjoy this forum and I treasure its members who are great people and very knowledgeable.
I try to reciprocate by sharing my experiences and , best of all, sharing my conversions, which is what it's all about.

The only person who I think would know the answer to my question is Neil and he didn't, so my guess is NO.
Also, reading between the lines of RF interview posted recently-my guess is that he is doing the 5.1 mixes as a "favor" to Steve W ...

Q-"Do you think surround sound envelopment equals greater listener involvement…

RF-"Surround has little effect on the quality of listening; although it might initially attract the listening attention. But this does not develop volitional attention necessary for active listening."

I read somewhere that SW's 5.1 mixes were 48/24 because HE chose to do so...
Maybe Jakko's ears are different and would like to update it...

Also, reading between the lines of RF interview posted recently-my guess is that he is doing the 5.1 mixes as a "favor" to Steve W ...

Q-"Do you think surround sound envelopment equals greater listener involvement…

RF-"Surround has little effect on the quality of listening; although it might initially attract the listening attention. But this does not develop volitional attention necessary for active listening."

I don't think this quote necessarily indicates that Robert Fripp is lukewarm about surround. I think he is just answering the interviewer's question literally. The question deals with listener involvement. Most people listen to music "passively" versus "actively". Fripp's definition of "active listening" probably involves more than sitting in the sweet spot and letting the music wash over you (which I enjoy doing myself). Surround sound certainly makes you more aware of the separate elements that make up a recording. But surround sound alone won't develop your listening skills. And by listening skills, he is almost certainly referring to focusing on things like pitch, timbre, intervals, harmony, tempo, etc. while listening. I don't think there's anything more in between the lines to read.

Will be very interesting to see what is bonus material on a Beat DVD-A. That was a pretty short album, rushed recording before playing much if any of the material live beforehand and there was no no leftover (non-LP tracks) material because they used everything they had!

Well, there are several alternate takes of Beat material that have surfaced as "Stormy Monday" free downloads at DGM.

And also, remember that between Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair, there was an album of new material attempted at the Belew home studio in Urbana-Champaign in 1983 that remained mostly unreleased until the KCCC series. It has been said that there was a lot more material from those sessions than what surfaced in the KCCC title. Any of those could be potential bonuses for the new remaster of Beat (or even TOAPP) :sun

Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum!

Mr Stormy's downloads tend to be demos, rehearsals and noodlings, what did I miss? I see they will now sell me a compilation as MP3 or FLAC.

In 1983 Adrian released Twang Bar King and we saw his group play it in LA that year so you must be referring to some other material?

Thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum!

Mr Stormy's downloads tend to be demos, rehearsals and noodlings, what did I miss? I see they will now sell me a compilation as MP3 or FLAC.

In 1983 Adrian released Twang Bar King and we saw his group play it in LA that year so you must be referring to some other material?

Dear Timbre4,
Thanks for the welcoming. You are right about Mr. Stormy's material being mostly demos and rehearsals. Some times they are also actual songs that got left out, though (like the studio version of Sus-tayn-Z from the TCOL sessions, for instance).
About Beat, KC attempted to work together on an album at Belew's home studio in Urbana-Champaign in 1983 (in parallel from Adrian's own solo work). Those sessions didn't yield any actual album, and the band entered a brief hiatus until they began work on 3OAPP later that year. They could easily use bits from those 1983 sessions (reportedly there is a song called "Yoli, Yoli") as bonus stuff for the Beat DVD-A.
:phones
B.

Back