Porcupine Tree Live Blu-ray Coming Up

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiburb

The progressive rock band Porcupine Tree announced that it is putting the finishing touches on its new live film, Anesthetize, recorded over two nights in Tilburg (Netherlands) in October 2008, at the end of the Fear of a Blank Planet tour. It will come out in April, in a cloth-bound hardback 120-page book, including the concert on Blu-ray and DVD, as well as two audio CDs of the soundtrack.

A regular edition BD/DVD will be released in May, without the book and the audio CDs.

The film has a run time of 130 minutes includes a complete performance of the Blank Planet album and 11 other tracks, and was directed and edited by Lasse Hoile on high definition cameras, with the soundtrack mixed into stereo and 5.1 sound.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4234

I will look forward to the May release as I have no interest in the premium package. I can only hope this one is as good as the previous PT concert discs, this one is on the correct format.

Chris

It didn't say DVD-A.

Of course it didn't. Why would you want to give up high definition 1080p video for a CONCERT release in favour of still jpegs? Seems pretty back-asswards to me.

There are already more BLu-ray players on the market than there are DVD-A players. I'm guessing they're releasing it on Blu-ray because they don't want to miss out on selling about 100 times more copies than they would if it were a DVD-A release sans video.

Still no movement at BurningShed considering the regular BD+DVD. But a friend just advised that it has come up at progrock.co.uk. We preordered one each, I'll let you know if they ship on the 17th, as stated in the page.

According to Pete @ Burning Shed, the Special Edition is scheduled to ship in the last week of May - they are just waiting for the Blu-ray discs to arrive. I would imagine that the SEs will ship first and then the 'rest will f(ol)low.'

It's available in Amazon U.K. too and my friend ended up preordering our copies there. I find it strange that BurningShed risks loosing business by not advertising it themselves yet.

It didn't say DVD-A.

That's because it is a concert film.
We didn't do a DVDA of "Arriving Somewhere" either (okay, I did for personal use but that's another story).
What you do have here is full 1080/24p with DTS-HD MAS Lossless 5.1 (including legacy DTS for those without DTS-HD decoders, of course) and 24-bit LPCM stereo.
The BD also has 5 back projection films, although these are straight NTSC SD resolution with 24-bit stereo & Legacy DTS 5.1

My Red version just arrived too - another 10 minutes and I'd have missed the postie (had to sign for it) as I'm just on my way out (of here?). I'll try to give it a watch if I get home early enough.

Yeah. I know it's all about the collecting and once received you can just tick it off from the want list and file it away. BUT ISN'T ANYONE ACTUALLY GOING TO LISTEN TO IT????????

tag-heuer-grand-carrera-cal-36-rs-caliper-concept-chronograph-watch.jpg

Well commenting on the video (ie-watching) would be a bonus but I am maybe wrongly expecting more artsy video like the last DVD so I am not expecting much in VQ from this. I would really like to have some comments on the mix/sound quality etc. Start the watch and see how long it takes........

Sorry....been having a busier week than expected and an ill toddler on top of that has kept me away from the big screen.

I did toss the blu-ray in the player and watch the first 3 songs though....so this is just an initial impression: no "artsy" stuff like the previous DVD - what I saw was straight concert footage from multiple angles, no mad jumping around from camera to camera every few seconds, just good subtle well-timed angle changes. The sound really engulfed the room well, rears are not just crowd sounds. Maybe it's just me but it seemed like Steven's lead vocals were a tad low in the mix????

I hope to get back to it tomorrow but that depends on how the kid is doing...but initial impression is pretty positive.

Back