Poll: would you buy legally released 24/96/mch (from 4.0 to 5.1) flac files online?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy legally released 24/96/mch (from 4.0 to 5.1) flac files online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Took the idea from another post, it's a intriguing possibility.

Industry-wise Pro's:
- no distribution problem;
- shorter time between "basic idea" and the completition of the project - no replication of phisical media, no phisical packaging, no physical delivery;
- no complaints from "users format" (once it's on flac you can reroute in whatever you like, be a dts cd, dvda, dvd-v, bluray, whatever);

Industry-wise Con's:
- no physical product (less perceived value);
- possible difficulties for the end-user (not anyone can make a dts cd or whatever) that may dislike the non-physical media approach.
- issue with presence or lack of copy-protection (however we all know everything is bootlegged within hours...)

User Pro's:
- faster delivery anywhere in the world
- possibility to choose the final form of the playback chain (dts cd, dvda, flac, whatever)
- less $ to waste on "physical issues" (replication, packaging, shipping) that allow for more $ to spend on real thing (music)

User Con's:
- no nice superjevelboxes or fancy cardsleeves
- need to work it out to make a disc of any kind
- need for a alternative storage of the downloaded files.

Anyone can add his vision...

I still prefer physical media to files. However, if it was the only way to get the lossless transfer from quad masters then I'd buy flac downloads only.

This is somewhat of a slight perversion of the point which someone was trying to make in another post. I expect that the majority of regular posters on this forum will all vote "yes." Even with that, though, the majority of regular posters on here represent a small sample of a small sample.

I also think the person making the original point (sorry if I forget who it was) was saying that the target group for the Rhino "quadio" releases wouldn't be as FLAC and download savvy. That target group would include people who will never read this post.

FWIW, it's a silly point to be discussing. Somehow, every third thread on here seems to always wind up at either why retail surround has died in the marketplace every time or why the DVD-A format isn't supported. There should be a "beat a dead horse" section somewhere on here.

(Yes, I'm kidding.....or am I? ;) )

My vote was "yes." If there was something I'd consider worth buying, I'd buy it online, offline, wherever it was. What to do with all these jewel boxes is going to become an issue anyway at some point.

No.

Files don't go OOP, or do they?

Also, I like to stash my music sealed.

Damn, sure I would go with DLing FLAC if there was no other option!

Files may be "available" or "not available", "out of print" suppose a physical media. We're not supposing "physical" now (unless it's Olivia Newton-John!).
It will be a "nice experiment" to do... i'm thinking, for example, something like "switched-on bach", which IIRC should be in the hands of W.Carlos and the only quad output done in the seventies (sq/q8). Having such a offer will be a no-brainer for me.
After all majors are licensing multis for RockBand or GuitarHero with a dlc price of 20$; why the same could not be done with old quads?

As a last-resort, yes. Any multi-channel is better than none....

Count me amongst those who like a jewel box, artwork, credits to read etc etc

At the risk of banging my own drum, I should point out that with fairly minimal effort a set of pdf's resulting in printable jewel-case, booklet and on-body materials could be included with a downloadable package, maybe as a zip folder, or even, as we did with the Dorothee Munyaneza DVD-A taster, included in a Rom folder which is accessed upon burning a disc from an ISO file.

I guess one could debate the comparative merits of flac or other downloadable formats, however the only real solution for the less technically-aware is surely "real product", ie a physical disc of some kind? And here we are back at square one....

Yes, and I have already done it.

Cirlinca DVD audio solo will let you burn the flacs to dvda if you want it on physical media. Then you just have to find some artwork.

Nice, didn't knew that feature.
With a PDF for artwork it will be a complete package.

Yes, and I have already done it.

Cirlinca DVD audio solo will let you burn the flacs to dvda if you want it on physical media. Then you just have to find some artwork.

Circlina is a great tool for your basic DVD-Audio conversions and such (including the FLAC feature) - keep in mind though that it does not offer any real authoring capability - so if you're looking for executable menus you're out of luck - basically it's just pop in and play. You can add a slide show (up to 20 images per track) if you need visual stimulation.

Great idea for a thread. I voted yes, however:

I do believe we get we get much more value many times over from physical media. Hard Drives crash forever :yikes, Discs do not :cool:.

Also, the companies must remember one of the reasons we buy music today (and old records and tapes no matter the condition) is in addition to hearing the music, to also become closer to the art by holding something official from the artist in hand. That becomes the "coin of the realm" as a collector. I can't imagine someone in the year 2150 saying "Dude, I have rare flac files from 2015." :D

If this is the only way in the world we would get the original Quadraphonic masters out in ANY form, then I'm all for it no problem in a heartbeat.

Hell no. I'll pay stupidly large amounts for a physical release, but will never pay a cent for a download. I am completely opposed to pirating released music, but completely support downloading unreleased music. I've paid over $100 single cassette tapes when the songs are readily available for pirating, but I don't consider a digital release a release at all. I'll go straight to torrents for it.

I would consider it...anything is better than nothing :) Of course, I probably wouldn't be willing to pay more than $15.00 for a download with no artwork or case...

Why not? I would prefer a disc, but that's because I grew up buying records and tapes.

I said no. I don't have the computer software and hardware needed to make something I could play and wouldn't be willing to spend the money for the upgrades unless there were an awful lot of them available, like 50 or so that I would want (and I know that would never happen).

I said no.
I want a physical product.
There is one missing condition from the poll question...if it were the only option????
In this case I'd think about it cause you have no choice , but given the choice between them I'd stick to my NO.

Not only "would I", but I already have from iTrax.
There is a wonderful title available there called "Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff" from Zenph studios in a thing they call "Re-Performancing".
It's seriously good (but only works for Piano based music).
Check it out!

Having said that, I would always prefer physical product. To borrow from the Kap'n above, if there had been a disc I would have bought that.
I only bought the download because there was no other way to do this.
My problem with download only is that it reduces the music to an icon in a player, and files are easily deleted (accidentally of course) or corrupted.
Also when a physical disc is bought, you get a sense of ownership that no download can match.
The other (less important, IMHO) issue is that this is no way to package a musicians art - and music is art, no doubt at all in my mind on that.

Back