What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
5.1 DVD-V audio only discs:
Thick as a Brick - Little Milton DVD-V/CD
51qTGYN6NsL._AA300_JETHROTHICK.jpg

Machine Head 40th Anniversary Box - Deeeeeep Purple DVD-V/4 CD
Deep-Purple-40.jpg

Probably the same reason the Beatles Red album is on two CDs.

Oh, neat it's just like the LP.

haha! yeah, I get it! :) I just think its a bit pointless/daft when it would all fit on one disc (with no drop in quality, etc.)

just an observation.. at one point there was a mentality with redbook CD as a format where it was a boastful achievement by labels to squeeze as much as possible on one CD, marketed for listeners' convenience in some instances but behind the scenes it was most of all to keep the labels' own costs down whilst outwardly presenting a disc full of music to the public, hence perceived extra value for money.

(it could be argued a by-product of that was the structure of albums going from a more standard running time of say 40-ish minutes, creeping to an hour.. and then over an hour, sometimes it seemed like you'd get an ok new "regular" album with rubbish padding just to fill a 78 minute CD!)

especially for things like old double LP sets.. which were still on 2 discs when they first saw a release on CD, like Saturday Night Fever and Yellow Brick Road.. when they got remastered in the mid-90's both had stickers on the front of the CD case saying "Now on One Disc"/'For the 1st Time on 1CD" etc.. like it was a big deal and a plus point.

yet by the time a format like SACD had come along, industry & public perceptions seemingly changed.. so even with the potential to have the same "Double LP" album in several different presentations on just One disc as with SACD, that kind of selling point was demoted in favour of cuteseyness, making it a bit more like the old LP(s), getting two SACDs instead of one seen as better value, etc.. weird!

It could be argued a by-product of that was the structure of albums going from a more standard running time of say 40-ish minutes, creeping to an hour.. and then over an hour, sometimes it seemed like you'd get an ok new "regular" album with rubbish padding just to fill a 78 minute CD!

I agree with this 100%

They started making longer and longer CDs resulting in many releases that were the equivalent of a double album.
Quality suffered IMO.
And maybe my attention span is based on the 40 minute (give or take) vinyl album of my youth, but I find it difficult getting through 70 minutes of music at a time by one artist no matter how good it is.

Anyway, back on topic....

Ordered and on the way:

Elvin Jones - Dear John C.
The 3 Sounds - Introducing
The 3 Sounds - Bottoms Up!
Grant Green - Grantstand
Jimmy Smith- Back at the Chicken Shack

I'd rather they add as much as possible to any album. If I don't care for a particular song, there's aways the >>| button.

true enough.. just as with the "loudness wars", where you have the ultimate power with the volume control, whether somethings mastered loud or quiet, so you can always skip anything you don't care for on an album..

..but I'm thinking as much about "double LP" albums from the classic vinyl days of rock/pop.. how many were/are any good!?

I can think of about half a dozen off the top of my head (I'm thinking studio material here rather than Live albums) maybe could stretch that to 10-12 if I really tried hard that couldn't have been whittled down to regular 40-odd minute albums..

..then we're into the territory that The Rang's talking about, there was a point in time where albums were routinely effectively double length (relatively speaking) where quality suffered seemingly in an effort by artists/producers to fill a CD.

Todd Rundgren - Liars (DVD-A)
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic (DVD-A)
Kitaro - Best Of Silk Road (DVD-A)
Rosenstolz - Herz (SACD)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (DTS-DVD, 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)

Last edited:
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspik (DVD-A)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (DTS-DVD, 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick(DTS-DVD, 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)
Bjork - Medulla & Homogenic (DTS Dual discs)

Mercedes Benz Signature Sound DTS sampler
405198_424479024254196_1314332725_n.jpg
Year of the Cat & Time Passages - Al Stewart
Poker Face - Lady Gaga
Shout - Tears for Fears
Have You Ever Seen the Rain - CCR
Owner of a Lonely Heart - Yes
& Many Moore...

A Space in Time - Ten Years After DTS DVD w/correct channel placement, thanks to a wonderful friend!
287750.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back