MISC: Russound QT-1 Quadraphonic Patch Bay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post comments and and photos of this quadraphonic patch bay in this thread.
We'd love to hear from those who own or have owned this device.

RUSSOUND QT-1

Rarity: RARE

Average Sale Price: $100-$200

NOTE: This patch panel was sold with the shown patch cables. The resale price of the unit should be affected if the cables are not included. However, they are NOT proprietary cables, and the owner can make or purchase audio cables to work with this unit.

qt1b.jpg
qt1a.jpg

I love the QT-1! Bought mine from Gaylord Russell himself at CES. This box can do everything for Quad switching. One of the best pieces I own. Gaylord had to ship me the patch cables later, the unit was that new! The switch positions can take some getting used to. QT-1 cures those input blues.

Linda

Two things baffle me about this post:
1- I don't ever recall seeing a black QT-1. Mine is cream colored with black print.
2- The Popular Mechanics article is from '75. It must have been a prototype. I bought mine directly from Gaylord Russell himself at the '77 Summer CES. At that point, production units hadn't become available. He had to send the cables and owners' manual a few months later.

I just bought a Zektor HDS 4.1 switcher, which has a wireless remote and four 6 channel inputs. It will be a nice compliment to this box.

If you want a 5.1 box
This one will give you 2, 5.1 inputs
and is cheap and works
these are Australia but may be other places

E/Bay

2 Way AV Selector Switch Component + Stereo + Digital
Item number 221104991097

Awhile back, I had gotten one of these on eBay. Mine is the black face model that was made to be rack mounted. This thing, once I finally got around to using it, has made hooking up and switching 4-channel items a whole lot easier, especially when having to deal with amps, receivers or integrated systems with only one set of 4 channel auxillary inputs.

This looks like a good alternative. I went the route of the DBX boxes as a patch panel. The problem with them is they have buttons and switches vs the actual plug in patch panel. I've had quite a few issues with the buttons or switches getting dirty and then the signals not feeding to certain channels.

I love the QT-1! Bought mine from Gaylord Russell himself at CES. This box can do everything for Quad switching. One of the best pieces I own. Gaylord had to ship me the patch cables later, the unit was that new! The switch positions can take some getting used to. QT-1 cures those input blues.

Linda

Is there anything you do not own or know about? :worthy

I got one a while ago
And thought that I knew a bit about plugs
But this thing beat me I just could not get the hang of it
maybe I'm just getting old

It can be massively confusing. In most instances, there is no need to use the cables. As I recall, at one time I had 6 devices connected to it without patching anything on the front. Two of the devices were play only.

Gaylord Russell was a wonderful, gentle guy, albeit a mad scientist type.

Just got one of these. No patch cords were included. Are the front jacks basic 1/8" in mono jacks?

A_L

Correctamundo! You don't need patch cords plugged into the front. Those are there for the eq, n/r encode and n/r decode loops. You can, of course, also use them to connect EVEN MORE devices than four, all in GLORIOUS QUAD!!!!

Just got one of these. No patch cords were included. Are the front jacks basic 1/8" in mono jacks?

A_L

Correctamundo! You don't need patch cords plugged into the front. Those are there for the eq, n/r encode and n/r decode loops. You can, of course, also use them to connect EVEN MORE devices than four, all in GLORIOUS QUAD!!!!

Good to know. One of these years I'll get my quad gear set up. I need a bigger room :) Right now my HT system is taking up most of the space.

A_L

PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!!

Just picked one up off of ebay, and even after a thorough cleaning, absolutely no signal goes through the thing.

Russound certainly didn't build these to last. Avoid at all costs - absolute garbage!

PIECE OF GARBAGE!!!!!!

Just picked one up off of ebay, and even after a thorough cleaning, absolutely no signal goes through the thing.

Russound certainly didn't build these to last. Avoid at all costs - absolute garbage!
I got one from Ebay aswell in not the greatest cosmetic condition but it still works. Took me forever to figure out how to hook it up. I wasn't getting any signal and eventually I figured out I was interpreting the labels completely backwards, reversed the ins/outs and that was the answer, maybe try this before giving up if you haven't already.

Yeah, I already figured out it tells you want to connect it to, not what it is. But it seems something is completely disconnecting between the inputs and the monitor. I just spent the last hour with it opened tracing signal, but can't get a damn thing to the monitor out.

Back