SQ: Sony SQD-2020 SQ Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Thank you, I have been reading these boards for months now learning about every aspect of quad. I am a long time record/8-track/music collector. A couple months ago I decided to start spening time and money on quad.

I have free owner manual for Sony SQD-2050, still need SQD-2020 owners manual.

Also, we have SQD-2020 Schematic Diagram in English and German.

http://www.quadraphonic.info/manuals/

I also have viewed your site and have used your resources along my quad journey. I may have something that you can use on your site. I recently bought an SQD-2020 (received just two days ago). I got it in the original box (the guy actually shipped it in the original box, I'm lucky it didn't just turn to dust when the postman touched it). There was no instruction manual, but has a setup poster thatgives you a basic diagram of how to set it up and some basic operation instructions. I'm guessing that this poster/diagram is basically a quick setup guide and that there was also a formal manual included. I can try to get it scanned for your site if you would like. I may have to come up with a plan or scan it in two or more parts since its much larger than the average scan bed. I also must say, in my oppinion this poster is convoluted and not very helpful

Thanks, that would be very kind of you. It's vintage Quad, so it would be interesting. I recommend just scanning it in parts if need be, and I can reconstruct it into something afterwards. Thanks.

I will see what I can do and let you know, I'm glad to be able contribute something to the quad community that is not available online yet

When I first looked at it I was like :mad:@: But I figured it out. It has a sort of busy illustration that borders on starting to look like a schematic. lol. Also thier setup suggestions aren't exactly the way I wanted to do it. The system they are showing uses a seperate back amp.

Also I have read a lot of your posts discussing when you sold this kind of equipment. Lucky. I have read so many of everyones posts I feel like I almost know a lot of you.

Also, I'm not able to set up the 2020 right now (temporary living conditions, lol) and I'm sure I could hammer out all the hook up details when I actually have a chance to tinker with it, but I did have a couple setup questions. Can I ask those here or should I move to a new/different thread?

Well what I plan on doing is connecting the SQD-2020 to discrete inputs on a receiver. Am guessing that I could use either the the front preamp output for the front and one of the back amp outputs to conect the rear. One thing that confuses me is why there is a high and a low output for the back amp. One has a stronger signal for a weaker amp? I was thinking about avoiding having to fiddle forever with levels and use the 4 channel tape rec out. I would think that would give me a nice consistant line level out that I don't have to fiddle with as much. Also I plan on buying one of those new old stock JVC CD-4 demodulators that guy sells on ebay. Then I would hook my second turntable to that (I have decided to have two turntables on my system, my main one hooked to the phono input on the amp and then a secondary one set up for CD-4 and used for matrixed formats as well. For the "quad turntable" I was going to hook it up through the CD-4 Demodulator. I know that the demodulator also acts as a phono amp, and outputs 4 line level channels that I can plug into the 2020. I'm thinking I should be able to plug it into the discrete input or the 4CH Tape input. Preferably the discrete input. Now my biggest question. Is that if I have the turntable/demodulator hooked up through the discrete input on the 2020, will I be able to SQ decode from this input. Or does the discrete button have to be pushed for it to even recognize that something is connected to that input. Ideally, it would be nice to be able to place CD-4 and simple 4-channel stereo through the discrete input, then push the SQ button, pop on an SQ record and it would decode SQ from that input. If my hypothetical would not work, please give me an alternate suggestion. Thanks!

PS, I'm guessing the SQD-2020 does not really act as a RIAA phono preamp, and that somewhere you need a pre-amp between the turntable and the decoder. Thats why I figured it would be easier to cheat and use the JVC Demodulator as a preamp as well for the whole quad branch of my system.

sonySQD2020r.jpg

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend someone experienced with repairing these units. Both "right" knobs are cutting out. I can press on them and hear sound. But, just as soon as I let go, both cut out.

Also, I have an Adobe copy of the manual if it is still needed. The copy is not great (originally scanned), but readable.

Thanks.

Have you tried spraying deoxit on the level pots that aren't working on the decoder? And yes, I would love that manual, I'll message you my email address

You aren't an idiot! Sometimes you take the knob to spray that in there, sometimes you can take the back off and go from the other direction. When you slide the knobs off, be careful, I see those level pots with the posts broken off from a lot of Sony stuff from that era.

Thank you so much for the manual!!!

All the knobs on this piece use standard slotted screw heads for set screws. You'll need a screwdriver to remove the knobs.

The discrete button will activate the input for the demodulator through the discrete input. Although it will pass the 2ch signal, it won't decode in this position. So, it will only play a stereo LP or matrix through the fronts. You can connect the 2ch output of the JVC 4-DD5 to either your receiver's phono input, if it has one, or to another input such as aux. You'll need to flip the 2ch direct out switch to On or Off, accordingly.

How to connect this through your receiver will greatly depend on what you're connecting it to. Is it a vintage Quad receiver, a 2ch receiver for the fronts, a modern surround receiver, or another type of setup?

I know the JVC box has 2 channel out, but I think its is just 2 channel passthrough. No phono amplification. So, since I don't want to tie up the phono on the reciever (I will be having one turntable hooked to the reciever's phono, not for quad, and another hooked to the quad setup. I guess I could just insert a standalone compact phono amp instead. The. Main system I will be using this on will be a Sony home theatre reciever that has discrete 5.1 channel analog inputs. I also may use it with a vintage Sony Quad reciever I have. I would imagine using the discrete inputs on a quad reciever would be just about the same as discrete inputs on a 5.1 reciever (ecept for the settings and the fact you are not utilizing all 6 channels)

The JVC does have phono preamplification. Currently, I use it with a B&K preamp, which has no phono section. I've had the 4-DD5 for nearly forty years and sold dozens of them. It either does/doesn't preamplify depending on the position of that 2 CH direct out (called 2 CH pass through on Sylvania labelled model) on/off switch. That outputs through the 2ch connections. Since the 4 channel outputs are designed to be hooked to an auxiliary, it is preamplified through those as well. So, yes you can use one TT through your receiver's phono inputs and the other as CD-4 and matrix with no additional phono input(s.) Pic of back of JVC 4-DD5: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sylv...w=159&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:75

Although I haven't kept up with their current models, you may want to check out Denon. I have an AVR-3801 for my second system. It has phono inputs and 6-channel analog in. Likely you could pick one up for a reasonable price. It has no HDMI, though later models do. Having sold Sony, Sony ES, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite and Denon, I found Denon to be the most musical sounding and logically laid out. AVR-3801 is 110 x 7. If you use it for 5.1, you can use the 2 extra channels for a second zone. I have an Onkyo for my third system. They sound pretty good and IHMO sound better than all except Denon. I couldn't pass it up used at $39 for 75 x 5.

120090423112732.jpg
rear.jpg

I know the JVC box has 2 channel out, but I think its is just 2 channel passthrough. No phono amplification. So, since I don't want to tie up the phono on the reciever (I will be having one turntable hooked to the reciever's phono, not for quad, and another hooked to the quad setup. I guess I could just insert a standalone compact phono amp instead. The. Main system I will be using this on will be a Sony home theatre reciever that has discrete 5.1 channel analog inputs. I also may use it with a vintage Sony Quad reciever I have. I would imagine using the discrete inputs on a quad reciever would be just about the same as discrete inputs on a 5.1 reciever (ecept for the settings and the fact you are not utilizing all 6 channels)

Okay. Great, so the phono amplification happens on the 2CH as well unless the switch is flipped on the JVC box? That is great news!! Also I started reading the Sony manual last night. Do you think I should just use the main outputs on the 2020? Or might it be easier to use the tape monitor out. It seems that since it was made to be able to work with two seperate amps, that it has to be adjusted to get the front and rear channels to match levels. Maybe I should just take the time to make the adjustments to leave the 4 channel tape monitor free for the future

Yes, I will probably end up with a Q8 recorder at the very least. I'm going to have to look and see what Pioneer offered for Q8 recording. I have been keeping my main 8-track gear to Pioneer. I have an HR-99 and an HR-100. I also know I need the QH-44 like oxygen.

Only Akai & Panasonic offered Q8 recorders that recorded in Quad. All other Q8 recorders play back in Quad, but only record in stereo! Ridiculous. The Akai has a very strong motor. The Panasonic motor is its' Achilles' Heel. This is especially important, since all Q8's have twice as much tape as their stereo 8 counterparts.

I was both a Pioneer and Pioneer/Centrex dealers. They're OK as players go, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Yes, I will probably end up with a Q8 recorder at the very least. I'm going to have to look and see what Pioneer offered for Q8 recording. I have been keeping my main 8-track gear to Pioneer. I have an HR-99 and an HR-100. I also know I need the QH-44 like oxygen.

Back